The Hustler > The Color of Money > ???

L.S. Dennis

A new movie is not out of the question. Tom Cruise would have to approve and most importantly a GOOD script would have to be penned. I'm not sure who Cruise's adversary would be, how's Keith playing these days? Maybe a back drop of Johnston City like 'Zar' mentioned, worth consideration.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The romanticism with pool is gone forever.

The charm of the game is old school gentleman’s game mixed in with gambling.

Look at the wimpy and sissy men today. It’s not a competitive society outside of work. Gambling? There is so many ways to make a real quick dollar without the the discipline of learning to play pool. All these mentioned gave a certain aura about the game. Pool is professionalized and at the end of color of money, proved this. End of story.

If you want a pool movie it would have to involve a love interest and some unknown student playing his way to win the “world billiards championship” for today’s audience.

The allure of pool is gone. It is more of a regional thing now.
People are more hip to the dark side and know there's nothing romantic about it.

m00sebumps

I would like to see a prestige level streaming series. By prestige I mean like HBO, Netflix, Hulu etc. The Color of Money novel is so much different than the film, it's a similar redemption story to the film but there is no Vincent or Carmen...there's a love interest but she has a lot more depth than Janelle. The novel finds Eddie doing exhibition matches of straight pool with Fats at different department stores with the chance of a television broadcast series picking them up. Eddie has definitely lost his drive, has bounced around selling insurance, maybe real estate, to finally owning a pool hall that is going under with assets going to his ex wife. I don't want to go into the whole story but there could be a 10-12 episode limited series that cover the more interesting parts of the Hustler and The Color of Money novels. I mean, netflix did queens gambit which was also a walter tevis novel, it would be great! I of course would want it to be a period film, definitely not modern day. I don't want to see fast eddie wearing some tech fabric polo covered in predator logos

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure who Cruise's adversary would be, how's Keith playing these days?
How about a young, cocky German kid who is currently the top tournament player in the world and has a hot girlfriend wife who also plays?

And maybe the German kid has been dodging gambling overtures from his peers, but finally and reluctantly agrees to a big-money match against Cruise of 9-ball, one pocket, and banks in Vegas that lasts days and has $10M on the line.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a young, cocky German kid who is currently the top tournament player in the world and has a hot girlfriend who also plays?

And maybe the German kid has been dodging gambling overtures from his peers, but finally reluctantly agrees to a big-money match against Cruise of 9-ball, one pocket, and banks in Vegas that lasts days and has $10M on the line.
Wife.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are due for another pool movie that will either trigger another rise in pool popularity, or be created in response to one of the rises in pool interest, which we seem to be in right now.

The current resurgence in pool has to be due to youtube and social media, maybe a boost from smartphone pool apps that spark curiosity. People see clips of Efren Reyes and start clicking and soon they're watching full matches of Van Boening and Earl Strickland, or trick shots on youtube and want to go do those things themselves.

The Hustler (1961) had a young Paul Newman, then he returned as an older Fast Eddie in The Color of Money (1986) where he mentored and sparred with a young Tom Cruise.

There was 25 years between the original 2 movies and it's been 38 years since the last one, so we are due.

Will we see the Balabushka make a return? Will we hear Vincent say "I'm back, baby!"

View attachment 740896
I've heard this many, many, times over the years. I doubt any movie would have much effect today. But, ya never know!

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
The thing is that there have been a number of pool movies since COM - they all stunk, frankly.

An award winning movie about pool of course won't hurt, but award winning movies about anything don't really hurt.

I thought about writing a script as a side hobby with the following premise:

A young Brooklyn hasidic Jew sneaks into pool rooms at night and discovers that he's a pool prodigy. He's shunned by both the hasidic and mainstream communities and becomes an outcast that doesn't fit in anywhere. An old seasoned, but disgraced, pro sitting in the corner of a pool room notices him and takes him under his wing. Their unlikely relationship takes them both on an international journey of triumph, loss, redemption, and self discovery.

Last edited:

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
A guy can dream

1706805152790.jpeg

shooter_Hans

Your constant need to bash younger men and women is precisely the uninviting personality pool doesn’t need.
They don't need me to do that.

Even the so called small pockets at pool rooms (LOL) have more of a factor than myself, in why pool isn't popular. Blaming one person on a message board of thousands is pretty lazy don't you think? I'm not standing at the door telling patrons to not come in.

We can safely assume that pool is on the decline due to many pool rooms closing down all across the nation. It has been on the decline for quite some time now and we're just hanging on.

I have probably seen more passing of old timers than an emergence of new players. I am sort of in the industry and have helped promote pool but its not happening. I would help out in my free time to organize tournaments and help run them.

...but thanks for saying I am ruining pool. It helps to know this one man can do such a thing. My ego feels good this morning.

Last edited:

L.S. Dennis

How about a young, cocky German kid who is currently the top tournament player in the world and has a hot girlfriend wife who also plays?

And maybe the German kid has been dodging gambling overtures from his peers, but finally reluctantly agrees to a big-money match against Cruise of 9-ball, one pocket, and banks in Vegas that lasts days and has $10M on the line.
That's assuming that Filler can actually act.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don't need me to do that.

Even the so called small pockets at pool rooms (LOL) have more of a factor than myself, in why pool isn't popular. Blaming one person on a message board of thousands is pretty lazy don't you think? I'm not standing at the door telling patrons to not come in.

We can safely assume that pool is on the decline due to many pool rooms closing down all across the nation. It has been on the decline for quite some time now and we're just hanging on.

I have probably seen more passing of old timers than an emergence of new players. I am sort of in the industry and have helped promote pool but its not happening. I would help out in my free time to organize tournaments and help run them.

...but thanks for saying I am ruining pool. It helps to know this one man can do such a thing. My ego feels good this morning.
Where are you located?

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
A movie even loosely based or just used as a reference with Kid D’s book might be decent. High profile actors are corny, Tom Cruise would be cool with a guest appearance but something like a Guy Ritchie type movie seems appealing. If it was ever to happen, surely any of the pros would jump at the opportunity to be included. No clue as to the ins and outs of the business but if they were allowed to rep their sponsors that would be huge for their exposure all around. Alex is a natural character, guys like that even in small rolls would appeal to both pool enthusiasts and those who aren’t. It’s indeed a fun idea at least…

Rusty in Montana

How about a Mission Impossible spin on it getting Tom involved from the beginning of it a tournament trail so to speak where he comes up against a tough German or Russia opponent in the finals for the world championship .
With the winner getting the cash and the hot girl .

As for Tom Cruise's character he's one of the nicest people I've met in over 40 years of working in the entertainment industry .

shooter_Hans

Where are you located?
California.

Also, being here helps me understand where pool is going and it has been a regional sport for quite some time now. Making it a niche.

I will also add that a movie may work if directed by an Asian director and the story took place in Asia since pool is more relatable to that demographics than it would be here in the States.