The Hustlers Week 3: Episode 5 Thread

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really enjoy this show, and I hope it goes over well. I have been telling all of my casual pool playing friends to check it out.

A couple of observations from the first few episodes. First, Emily Duddy has vastly improved her game , so my hat is off to her. I saw a few videos of her playing a few years ago, and she has made drastic improvements. I know I certainly wouldn't want to match up against her.

2nd- I am curious to know how Finnegan became the keeper of this list in New York, and why all people are willing to follow it. He is obviously several balls behind the top people on the list, but his personality seems good for the show.

3rd- I wonder where this list would actually rank in New York. There is no way Smiley is in the top 10 in New York, and while those original 5 players are very good, there is some real talent in that city, so I think it is probably a long shot that the top 5 all play at that hall.

I am sorry if some of these things have already been discussed.

I applaud those who are willing to go on the show. I am sure you will goods and bads from a place such as this. None the less, keep it up, the show has been a lot of fun to watch.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great video posted by Dave Manasseri. Finnegan offers his view on whether Scott fouled on the 6-ball and then he explains where the betting money comes from. Before filming, the producers give the players cash (e.g. $1000) and tell them to go match up and play. This is fine with me; regardless of where the money came from they are trying their best to match up to their advantage and win the other's cash.

https://www.facebook.com/Dave.Manasseri/videos/10206701730172547/

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Great video posted by Dave Manasseri. Finnegan offers his view on whether Scott fouled on the 6-ball and then he explains where the betting money comes from. Before filming, the producers give the players cash (e.g. $1000) and tell them to go match up and play. This is fine with me; regardless of where the money came from they are trying their best to match up to their advantage and win the other's cash.

I didn't get to see this before...this is cool...nice link

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

All I'm getting is "This content is currently unavailable."

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I'm getting is "This content is currently unavailable."

I looked at it again and Dave shared the video with his FB friends and Finnegans FB friends. I was already friends with Finnegan, so I could see it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought the series on iTunes, so I can rewatch segments (I don't know if you guys can also...). The ball that he was trying to skim and go behind, he definitely hit it. Upon replay, you could see the ball wiggle the slightest amount. The first camera angle it looked like it was a miss. The second camera angle they showed you could cleary see it wiggle.

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
I bought the series on iTunes, so I can rewatch segments (I don't know if you guys can also...). The ball that he was trying to skim and go behind, he definitely hit it. Upon replay, you could see the ball wiggle the slightest amount. The first camera angle it looked like it was a miss. The second camera angle they showed you could cleary see it wiggle.

+1

This is what I saw too. Just a slight wobble in one camera angle.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I think someone called it the "Chuckie Cheese Law" or something. There were issues with the "gambling" machines they had there that gave out tokens/cash and they had to argue that the games took skill to hit the right numbers or time the slot spinning so you can hit it, or something. That made games that you have a skilled control over not "gambling" and therefore not illegal like craps or cards since you have no way to control what the dice or cards will do next. Since you control how you play the game of pool with your skill, putting a wager on it is not "gambling". If your buddy bets a 50 on you to win, that's gambling.
Cool info! Glad I read the whole thread.
Love the show!

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I have soooooooooooooo seen this all before-same characters-same class (low)

Every NY female player of the past 25 years who gets any publicity- from Jenn to Borana and beyond has had to run the gauntlet for YEARS before it calms down.

Damn, Nostroke, who are you referring to?

I know, from my viewpoint, if someone is calling it like it is, there will be those that don't like the truth. I've never been shy about putting it out there either, so to those taht are delusional and trying to sell us a load of crap....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzd40i8TfA

Eric