The Legendary Pearl to Take On 14.1 Attempts

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whoops, Earl snookers himself against a ball on the left hand rail. No good shots:

earl41.jpeg

earl42.jpeg

Jesus, what a shot on the 8-ball in the side!

Earl shot himself out of a jam and left himself a good break ball with position. On to the 12th rack.

He cleared the 12th rack. Onto the 13th rack. He's in trouble. Earl makes a ball. New high score for Earl!

Last edited:

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Run ends at the end of the 13th rack. With three balls left on the table, Earl slow rolled a ball towards the lower left corner pocket, and it hung up. "It curved. Skid, too."

3 balls left on the table. Run = 12 x 14 + (15 - 3) = 180

Earl quit.

Here's the sequence that led to the miss:

earl31.jpeg

earl32.jpeg

earl33.jpeg

earl34.jpeg

In anger, Earl slaps the brown ball into the pocket:

earl35.jpeg

Last edited:

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Run ends at the end of the 13th rack. With three balls left on the table, Earl slow rolled a ball towards the lower left corner pocket, and it hung up. "It curved. Skid, too."

3 balls left on the table. Run = 12 x 14 + (15 - 3) = 180

Earl quit.

Here's the sequence that led to the miss:

View attachment 622037

View attachment 622038

View attachment 622039
View attachment 622040

In anger, Earl slaps the brown ball into the pocket:

View attachment 622041
To be fair, several times I’ve seen balls roll off to the left from our perspective. Didn’t see that with SVB and Ruslan. Table has settled maybe? 🤷‍♂️

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earl's not going to do anything interesting unless he stops missing the easy shots. John Schmidt was at about 99.3% for all shots after the second ball of the rack. He was 95.5% on his break shots and about the same for the shot after the break. It also took Schmidt about four months to get his 626. He shot on 79 days total, had about 300 runs over 100 and six runs of 400 or more.

If anyone hates their money, I'll bet Earl does not get to 350 in the next seven days of trying. I'll take the other side of that bet for SVB and Ruslan.

Here is the end of one of Schmidt's 400+ runs. I wonder how Earl would react if this happened to him? John got right back on the horse.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost every shot that I saw him miss was on a slow roll.
Two were on slow rolls and another was shooting over a ball when he had other options. Not sure how many days this runs but he is a favorite to run 200 if he stays at it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earl needs to “tighten up” his end game.

He is shooting too many long shots, putting too many balls up table, and he is playing “area” position instead of “precise” position.

He is playing more of a rotation style than a 14.1 style.
FWIW, Schmidt had a lot more hard shots in his early attempts. Towards the end, he had few missable shots. The change in his game was remarkable, and I think it may have been just by osmosis. I think that's key. I doubt that Earl will get to that point before he quits.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't remember exactly, but I think he stated it was some time in the '90hat could have been 25 years ago..

I don't remember exactly, but I think he stated it was some time in the '90s
Then it could have been 25 years ago. Combine that time span with aging and his lack of playing straight pool and I think he is doing pretty well.
Will he beat the young guns probably not. I do not think there is anyone near his age that could do as well.. It might be fun to see an over 60 challenge for a high run separately.....

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too much autopilot - I don't see him "locking on" to each shot. Works amazingly well for him until he needs to run hundreds of balls.

pj <- full disclosure: I don't know WTF I'm talking about
chgo
That is ok, we don't either but most of us have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair, several times I’ve seen balls roll off to the left from our perspective. Didn’t see that with SVB and Ruslan. Table has settled maybe? 🤷‍♂️
I am pretty sure I have seen this too...up in the middle of the table..above side pockets.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think before he leaves this week he will put up a few 200 + ball runs. So far from what I have seen I think someone else will end up putting up the biggest numbers however. I would be thrilled if he surpasses what I have stated. His style may not be pure 14.1 text book perfect but it is cool to see him play and I appreciate the effort by all involved.