The Public's Perception on Pool

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Anyone who doesn't consider pool a sport is just choosing arbitrary lines and saying "this is a sport and that isn't." Let's ask Mr. Merriam and Mr. Webster what they think...

If you have specific criteria in mind about what makes something a sport, then it's not arbitrary to say that some things are sports and some are not, though it might still be true that the actual border is fuzzy. I don't think pool is close enough to the border though to make it a problem case.

Dictionaries are just sociological reports about how people actually use words. They are not meant to be authoritative about how we should use words, or about what words 'actually' mean. I don't doubt that we sometimes use the word "sport" in such a way that would include pool as a sport, but that doesn't mean that pool requires athleticism to the degree that would make it a genuine sport in my opinion.

It's just a semantic argument, anyway. Whether or not pool is a "sport" or pluto is a "planet" doesn't change a thing about them.

Not quite. If I were to argue that two plus two does not equal four, that wouldn't change anything about those numbers, but that doesn't mean the argument is just semantical. I'd actually be wrong.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Curling is a sport. Anyone who says it isn't has never picked up a stone (rock) in their life. As someone who used to curl, it's quite the workout at the competitive level. That "sweeping" of the rock takes effort. You basically have to move the broom back and forth fast enough to melt ice....

It may not be your cup of tea, but there's more athletic skill required to curl than there is to play pool. Bowling isn't an olympic sport. I also don't consider bowling a sport. You pick up a ball, take a couple of steps, and roll the ball to knock down pins. It's a physically intensive game, but it's stilll a game. Twister would be something similar to pool or bowling. There's a physical component to it, and some people will be better at it than others, based on coordination, muscle strength and flexibility.

Sorry, but every olympic sport currently contested for medals are much more athletically challenging than pool. If you could do something like biathlon, where the pool player had to pedal around the arena, then come back to the table, and speed run a rack of 6 balls, THAT would be a sport. However, I don't see any other event at the olympics that involves more standing than anything else. It would be like olympic yoga, or tai chi.

Thanks for the laugh, much appreciated. Oh, wait, you were serious :p

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
If you have specific criteria in mind about what makes something a sport, then it's not arbitrary to say that some things are sports and some are not, though it might still be true that the actual border is fuzzy. I don't think pool is close enough to the border though to make it a problem case.

Dictionaries are just sociological reports about how people actually use words. They are not meant to be authoritative about how we should use words, or about what words 'actually' mean. I don't doubt that we sometimes use the word "sport" in such a way that would include pool as a sport, but that doesn't mean that pool requires athleticism to the degree that would make it a genuine sport in my opinion.

Oh, dictionaries aren't supposed to dictate what words mean? In that case, you are wrong because peanut butter, swordfish flavor popsicle. Volvo spatula unicorn cipher. Pizza popcorn... butt bellybutton earlobe.

Not quite. If I were to argue that two plus two does not equal four, that wouldn't change anything about those numbers, but that doesn't mean the argument is just semantical. I'd actually be wrong.

Your example shows me that don't know what semantics are. Here, let me help you:

se·man·tics noun plural but singular or plural in construction \si-ˈman-tiks\
: the study of the meanings of words and phrases in language

: the meanings of words and phrases in a particular context

So, a semantic argument is when you argue over the meanings of words or phrases. Arguing about whether or not pool is a sport is really just arguing about what a "sport" actually is.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Oh, dictionaries aren't supposed to dictate what words mean? In that case, you are wrong because peanut butter, swordfish flavor popsicle. Volvo spatula unicorn cipher. Pizza popcorn... butt bellybutton earlobe.

No, they don't. Dictionaries just report on the way we actually use words. That's why when enough people misuse a word the meaning of the word changes, and dictionaries then report this change in meaning, and the mistaken meaning becomes accepted usage.

The reason what you said doesn't make any sense is not because dictionaries say it doesn't, it's because we don't actually use those words in a way in which what you said would make sense.

Your example shows me that don't know what semantics are. Here, let me help you:

So, a semantic argument is when you argue over the meanings of words or phrases. Arguing about whether or not pool is a sport is really just arguing about what a "sport" actually is.

No, a semantic argument is one that is only about the meanings of words.

If I argue that pool is not a sport, I'm making a claim about the nature of sports and the nature of pool, not about the meanings of words.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Not the first time you were wrong today, so don't let it bother you.

:lol: And I know folks with Olympic medals in curling .. you know any pool medal winners ? :lol: :killingme:

Dave

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Enough of the sidebars... here are some of my favorite comments from the article:

"I had never even heard of Snooker until I read this article." David

"I thought the Olympics were for sports" Aaron

"Is this a joke? The next thing they will want flower arrangements in the Olympics" William

"If they can remove wrestling as an Olympic event, then anything is possible." Mike

"Getting to the top in an Olympic event should take years of grueling physical preparation. The athletes should be gladiators. The idea of billiards in the Olympics is freaking nonsense" Wayne

"When will they finally include Foosball or Beer Pong in the Olympics? I can't wait to be an Olympic athlete representing my country - by playing Beer Pong." Mojo

"If Wrestling, the oldest sport in the world, was cut from the Olympics. Why in the #$%$ should Billiards be considered!?" Kevin S

"NO! The Olympic were never intended for this #$%$! We need to get rid of ALL the bull #$%$ and get back to the origins of the game and keep it that way. No billard no snooker PLEASE. Real honest Olympic games. Sorry, I'm finished." Lou

"I'm guessing that if they say yes, video games are going to be a sport at some point in the Olympics" Timmmm

"Terrible idea." Jtodd

"Next we will see the petition for hopscotch!! Dumming down of everything so why not the Olympics?? Sad." Yahoo user

"as if I needed another reason not to watch" Dylan

"Darts is more of a sport." Tom S

"STUPID !!" J...
And my favorite,

"Anything where you can be morbidly obese and still excel at should probably not be an Olympic event." Ken E

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Thanks for the laugh, much appreciated. Oh, wait, you were serious :p

What I love about AZB is that it's a mirror of life. I ride motorcycles. 43 years of age, but have not got to the point where a cruiser has even entered my mind. I still ride sport bikes, or what the Harley riders call "ricers", "crotch rockets", etc. I have had many a Harley rider make fun of my "toy bike", or ask me how many hamsters are in the engine. I smile...laugh with them. And when we're riding, I sit behind him as he rides beside his buddy (a complete no no if you're a true rider) with his smoke hung out of his mouth, his gut on the gas tank, his assless leather chaps, and the badass brain bucket. Meanwhile, I'm in full riding gear, a full faced helmet, kidney belt, riding boots, and riding in a staggered formation. And the second I get a clean pass, I rip past the guy like he's standing still, tip into a corner at 60mph, and proceed to ride my bike for the reason I ride....I love motorcycles, and could care less about the image, or how I look. There are 80% that ride because of the image, and 20% that ride because they love two wheels. I'm the latter.

Pool is very much the same. There are those that play because it's cooler than bingo. Or because they love action. I play because I love the sound of the balls hitting each other. I can watch balls rolling on a table for hours. But I've never felt the need to make someone else feel stupid because their opinion is different than mine. However, some people feel a sense of entitlement once they become proficient with a cue, and they talk down about the newbies in the pool hall, or the hacks on the table, or the 3s and 4s that never progress in their leagues.

I've never felt the need to promote the sport by putting another sport down. Everyone here feels slighted by the comments on a board regarding pool, yet two people on here then want to retaliate and badmouth rhythmic gymnastics, synchro swimming, and curling as not being any more a sport than pool. They are. Deal with it. There are probably more curlers worldwide than pool players. There are probably more rock climbers than pool players worldwide. I don't see rock climbing as an olympic sport, either, and it's more physically demanding than pool.

So, feel free to badmouth other sports because you feel slighted. It's a reflection on you and your opinions. I choose to have my opinion, and not at the expense of someone else's passion or choice of activity. If you can't accept that "ribbon dancing" is an olympic sport, petition the IOC. But there are lots of little girls all over the world enrolled in gymnastics that thoroughly enjoy that ribbon. And tonnes of moms and dads that are proud of their kids for twirling that ribbon. And you're a complete asshat if you need to put that little girl down about her sport to make yourself feel more like a "man" about pool.

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I bet many of those comments, like most on Yahoo, are from the jackasses that are die hard, never miss a game, NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB fans, that NEVER played any of the games or if did, sputtered out around the age of 12. They are usually the drunken loud mouths at sporting events calling everyone a bum because they struck out, or threw an interception. The don't get it, and never will.

But jackasses that are die hard pool fans, and never miss a game....can make fun of curling. Got it. :)

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I love the argument: "______ is a bull**** sport and it's in the Olympics so pool should be too."

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Public opinion? ?? Sheit..

Keep in mind, these are the same people that buy millions of McDonald's crapburgers, watch honey boo boo and listen to miley cyrus.

The general public is dumb as a box of rocks .
I wouldn't sweat it.