The suggestion of a CTE specific sub forum

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nope, nope, nope. Stan is not open to adjustments unless you are talking about cheating a pocket or using english. The premise of, and lure of, CTE is that once you have chosen the pocket you want to go to, the system will put you on the shot line. You don't need to HAMB. In fact, if you can stroke straight and follow the CTE instructions you don't know how to play pool at all, theoretically. You may not fully grasp CTE because you may not really understand what it claims to be able to do. Once you wrap your head around that then you'll be in a better position to decide if it makes sense or not. Many of us have argued that the system requires subconscious adjustment like any other method. I'll get attacked below almost certainly for saying that, but it is what it is.

You aren't disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with what Stan said on video, fairly recent video I believe. Not sure if the one where he made plain about adjustments was the second on his youtube page, it is the second one I remember playing. Stan uses HAMB to decide whether to sweep from inside or outside. If the shot doesn't look right based on HAMB, he sweeps from the other direction. Even then some shots, particularly banks, may need adjustments after applying CTE.

Seems more like Stan uses CTE as an aid to HAMB than using HAMB as an aid to CTE as his final shot confirmation is based on HAMB if his own statements are to be believed.

I am into contact points and HAMB myself so it seems Stan and I are at the least halfway in agreement!(grin)

Hu

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You aren't disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with what Stan said on video, fairly recent video I believe. Not sure if the one where he made plain about adjustments was the second on his youtube page, it is the second one I remember playing. Stan uses HAMB to decide whether to sweep from inside or outside. If the shot doesn't look right based on HAMB, he sweeps from the other direction. Even then some shots, particularly banks, may need adjustments after applying CTE.

Seems more like Stan uses CTE as an aid to HAMB than using HAMB as an aid to CTE as his final shot confirmation is based on HAMB if his own statements are to be believed.

I am into contact points and HAMB myself so it seems Stan and I are at the least halfway in agreement!(grin)

Hu
You may have misunderstood or misheard what Stan was saying about making adjustments. I'd like to see the clip. Stan says he does not make adjustments in pocketing balls with CTE, not even for throw at different speeds, because CTE will send the ball to center pocket. He does adjust for english or cheating a pocket.

I'm surprised nobody here has attacked you yet. Stan will NEVER admit to using HAMB, not even a little bit. He does not use HAMB to decide whether to use an inside or outside sweep. He uses his "visual intelligence." What is that? To you and me it is HAMB, but to Stan it is not. Exactly what it is remains a mystery. That's what happens when you have your own vocabulary of terms. You can make them be whatever you want them to be on any given day.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you really enjoyed discussing CTE you would be over in Mohrts thread and actually trying to shoot his shots and having a discussion. But no, you just continue with your "throw" obsession in every thread.
By the way, i know you are in Mohrts thread, but you aren't trying his shots, you are just baiting him to talk about your "throw" obsession.
I'm really interested in what you think about my participation in mohrt's thread, really interested.

All kidding aside, I know how to perform CTE with a manual pivot. I don't use the sweep because there is too much room for subjectivity. What I have not spent enough time really trying to understand is turning the face for the AL/SL and then focusing on the edge of the cb and then finding the NISL line. I do have a day job but it is something I will attempt. Stan's progression from the manual pivot to the turning of the face poses an interesting question about what it is about the process that "connects" your perception to the 2x1 dimension. I'll post on that more fully down the road when I get a chance. I'm sure you are excited about that.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
You may have misunderstood or misheard what Stan was saying about making adjustments. I'd like to see the clip. Stan says he does not make adjustments in pocketing balls with CTE, not even for throw at different speeds, because CTE will send the ball to center pocket. He does adjust for english or cheating a pocket.

I'm surprised nobody here has attacked you yet. Stan will NEVER admit to using HAMB, not even a little bit. He does not use HAMB to decide whether to use an inside or outside sweep. He uses his "visual intelligence." What is that? To you and me it is HAMB, but to Stan it is not. Exactly what it is remains a mystery. That's what happens when you have your own vocabulary of terms. You can make them be whatever you want them to be on any given day.

As I mentioned earlier, I just let the video's play one behind the other. Stan said he used "experience" to make these decisions. I don't distinguish between HAMB and experience. I always considered the acronym HAMB to be a bit of a joke aimed at the system players. Stan seems very aware of HAMB in one video where he says he has hit well over a million balls.

We debate or argue all of these things on a pool forum for years then go down to the pool hall and get our butts kicked by someone that can't tell you about throw, or types of english or any of the aiming systems on the forum. These guys aren't letting knowledge get in their way of pocketing balls and getting shape.

Who is smarter, the old man that can do, or the young man that can describe? The old man that can do runs a hundred balls. The young man watching that can't run thirty balls tells him he did it all wrong. Funny thing, they might both have their points. The old man has the cash though!

The video's are between fifteen and twenty minutes long I believe. Watch the first five minutes of each one. In one video Stan very early on explains where the 15, I think 30, and 45 degree reference points are found on a table and why this makes CTE and Pro One work. He goes on to drop other nuggets in this same video I believe which is why I say look for this particular one, then watch it closely. It may be the same one I think goes off the rails a bit in a couple spots too but don't get bogged down in this. Watch this whole video, maybe a couple times or with some replays all through it after the first time and you can start to understand Stan's beliefs. Not necessarily agree with them, but understand what Stan is saying. He isn't shooting shots best I recall, he is just setting them up and explaining how CTE works with the 2:1 ratio of a pool table. It is something I kind of grasp a bit around the edges, I haven't dug at the depth needed to understand myself. It was the end of a long day and I was just letting this video's run as I rested. I think the truth series video one is where he explains about the angles. By the way, he says that CTE will make almost any shot. Gonna take some adjustments for those it can't make.

People will be wasting time attacking me because I am not saying anything about my beliefs as far as CTE. I don't have any. I have a curiosity and experience in R&D. I can explore the material and digest it. Where that leaves me remains to be seen. Hard to persuade me to watch all of these hours of video unless I believe in a return though. Stan hasn't sold me on CTE yet, but I remain open minded. Hoping somebody fairly independent reviews that book. I have to find three or four thousand for a new lawn mower and decide which one, far easier said than done and I will have to live with any decision for years. CTE, Pro One, HAMB, I can swap in a moment! I like HAMB. One of the real pleasures in life is to find a dead ball my opponent didn't see. Apply a little HAMB, bang!(grin)

Finally a gap in the rains and I have to run to town. I'll be down at least a few hours.

Hu

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm really interested in what you think about my participation in mohrt's thread, really interested.
Don't see much participation at all. Did you even try the shots as Morht has asked? Didn't see anything that said you did.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All kidding aside, I know how to perform CTE with a manual pivot. I don't use the sweep because there is too much room for subjectivity. What I have not spent enough time really trying to understand is turning the face for the AL/SL and then focusing on the edge of the cb and then finding the NISL line. I do have a day job but it is something I will attempt. Stan's progression from the manual pivot to the turning of the face poses an interesting question about what it is about the process that "connects" your perception to the 2x1 dimension. I'll post on that more fully down the road when I get a chance. I'm sure you are excited about that.
You've often stated that you can only make a ball with CTE if that ball is in the "perfect' position. Never ever stated what that particular position is. So, all kidding aside, how can you with a straight face say you can perform CTE with a manual pivot? You always get back to, i have a job so i'll get back to it later, kinda like the new press secretary, " i'll get on that and circle back to you".

Seriously though, we can go back and forth like this in meaningless threads going nowhere, or you can follow along in Morht's thread and actually learn something about CTE. All he's asking is for you to follow his detailed instructions and get back to him with questions. "Throw" the rest away and work on what he instructs you to do if you want to learn. Quite simple

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Don't see much participation at all. Did you even try the shots as Morht has asked? Didn't see anything that said you did.
I work a 60 hour week give me a chance.
LOL you asked me what i thought about your participation, I said i didn't see much participation, and your reply is i work 60 hours. Why did you even ask then?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Considering that the great majority of CTE posts are advertisements with no real substance, may CTE should be restricted to the For Sale forum.

pj
chgo
Yes, it's a shame that all that free CTE information keeps getting posted. Have you started an aiming thread lately, i'm sure the masses are waiting for the PJ way to aim.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've often stated that you can only make a ball with CTE if that ball is in the "perfect' position. Never ever stated what that particular position is. So, all kidding aside, how can you with a straight face say you can perform CTE with a manual pivot? You always get back to, i have a job so i'll get back to it later, kinda like the new press secretary, " i'll get on that and circle back to you".

Seriously though, we can go back and forth like this in meaningless threads going nowhere, or you can follow along in Morht's thread and actually learn something about CTE. All he's asking is for you to follow his detailed instructions and get back to him with questions. "Throw" the rest away and work on what he instructs you to do if you want to learn. Quite simple
I'm going to ignore everthing in that post because it is superfluous except the last sentence. I believe I said in mohrt's post that I didn't understand how to focus on the SL with one eye and the AL with the other unless I closed one eye at a time, which then would eliminate the 3D aspect. That's where I'm at with mohrt's procedure. As this was never a requirement in CTE with a manual pivot I had no problem following those instructions. I simply put my head between where I could see both lines, which of course meant that neither could be seen exactly right at the same time. I think Stan's words were that you were not on either line but between them before locking in ccb and pivoting.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cookie said: LOL you asked me what i thought about your participation, I said i didn't see much participation, and your reply is i work 60 hours. Why did you even ask then?

Apparently you didn't pick up on the sarcasm.