Thoughts of a Slow Player

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member

If I can have a cigarette during your turn, come back and still wait for you.. you take too long.

If I can order a drink every time you step to the table.. you take too long.

If I can take a power nap.. you take too long.

If I order and receive my food before it's my turn again.. you take too long.

and lastly..

If people take up one-pocket in order to speed up play.. you take too long.

+1

And to add to that list:

If I can time your turns at the table with a sundial...

You take too long !!

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Buck. What do you do. Just say, "Excuse me Bud, I am going home to put a new tip on my cue, I'll be right back".

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member
Its all about control imo

I am a deliberate player. I am not slow. This subject really bugs me because its all about the same old crap you hear all the time from pool players. Its all about trying to control how another person plays. I have said this to other players, and I will say it here. I will play with a 30 second shot clock as long as the guy I am playing does too, and that always shuts them up, always. I am not slow. I know a guy that is slow, and I know its irritating, but all I hear is someone trying to get into another players head, because that is the only way they can win. Very few players play as fast as Earl, and the ones that do are usually pros, or don't play very well.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I think I play at an average rate, but ... IMO it depends on the game you're playing. Some games require more considerations than others.

I think in order of which games take longest ...

1. One pocket--has so many different opportunities that if you don't take a second, you may miss a great shot.

2. Eight ball-- another game with multiple patterns available and with the addition of blocking balls that you must work around.

3. Straight pool--again, lots of ways through a frame, but choosing the best way makes things eaiser.

4. Nine ball ... Not much to ponder here, what are you waiting for? .... you gotta follow those silly little numbers on the balls. :)

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thought process of a slow pool player is probably similar to that of a slow chess player. Something like this:

1) Oh, there's a shot... Calculate... Calculate... Calculate... Oh that will end poorly
2) Oh, there's a shot... Calculate... Calculate... Calculate... Oh that will end poorly
3) Oh, there's a shot... Calculate... Calculate... Calculate... Oh that will end poorly
4) I have no shot!
5) Oh, there's a shot I didn't see earlier!
6) Bend over and fire away

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
... 2. Eight ball-- another game with multiple patterns available and with the addition of blocking balls that you must work around...

+1

I think another variable is if it's during a league match.

Had a buddy of mine play a BCA match a couple weeks ago, he took a little longer than usual.

But there were also two points on the line, depending on him winning combined with how many balls his opponent had left on the table.

His game determined the outcome of the entire match. He won, and 'held' his opponent to enough balls that his team won the match that night.

I think it's one thing to take a little longer when the "weight of the world" is dependent on your game.

It's another when you're the first guy in the round, take two to three minutes to study the layout (which on some level I'm still kind of ok with), make your first ball, GET SHAPE ON THE NEXT BALL, and then take ANOTHER two to three minutes to restudy the table before you make the next shot !!!

Mickey --- If you just played a stop shot or natural position (and nail it), you don't need another three minutes...

poolplaya1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of you guys are sharking yourselves. Slow players would play faster if they thought they could play just as well fast as they can slow. They don't think that is true though.

Some people daydream at work, or when watching sports, or when playing pool. Not everyone has the same ability to focus on the task at hand. Slow thinkers that have little ability to focus play slow and fast thinkers that can focus well play fast. Everyone else is somewhere in the middle.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slow Ride

While players that stand there thinking for a long while do annoy me…. :rolleyes:

It's not as frustrating as the ones that get down on the shot, take 200 warm up strokes, stand back up, get back down, stand up, get back down, another 200 warm up strokes then-----> miss :mad:

This^^... I come up against a guy in tournaments once in a while, guy is a super nice older guy, looks like an old banker. But man, this guy... air strokes 30 times, down on the shot, back up, chalk, chalk, chalk, air strokes again, down, up, chalk, chalk.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

It's like watching tar rolling uphill.

Mind you, this is nine ball... taking a few moments playing One Pocket, I get.