Thoughts of a Slow Player

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slow Play

I have seen several very good players play slow. They walk around look at this think about that. I think they want the audience to think they are very intelligent in their thought process. Very good players know what to shoot 95% of the time within 10 seconds after approaching the table. The reason they play so slow is to keep their opponent from getting into rhythm where he/she might catch a gear. Its a tactic that seems to work fairly well. I feel its un-sportsmen like conduct since its a form of sharking by trying to keep his/her from getting into gear.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have experienced the tactic of an opponent trying to freeze me during the quarter finals of a tournament. Someone on the rail even mentioned to me that this player never plays as slow as he played against me. I am happy to mentioned I beat him 5-0 and when I referenced his slow play after the match, he said he felt it was the only way he thought he could win. Slow play as a tactic exists. I love shot clocks.

Al

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate slow players. In my opinion they are just idiots. No tactics or something else. Just IDIOTS. And what they do is not good for the game.

Reactions: JC

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have experienced the tactic of an opponent trying to freeze me during the quarter finals of a tournament. Someone on the rail even mentioned to me that this player never plays as slow as he played against me. I am happy to mentioned I beat him 5-0 and when I referenced his slow play after the match, he said he felt it was the only way he thought he could win. Slow play as a tactic exists. I love shot clocks.

Al

I find it even more annoying in league matches. Happens even in the singles leagues. I don't like to lose, but I will not intentionally distract or try to keep an opponent out of rhythm. I joined league to have fun and improve. Improve at pool, not improve at sharking.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's my belief that after your first ball you should approach the shot knowing what you want to do. My teammate (,SL 5) was playing a 4 and when the 4 missed position she opted to play a safe and spent 4 minutes (literally. She spent the entire song of Bloodstream by Ed Sheeran) looking for a safety before calling for a coach.

It rattled my teammate so bad that it took him two games to finally shoot like himself again.

Again, in my opinion, you should know what you want to do when you approach the table. Not get to the table and look at every ball, calculate every angle, then shoot.

Sent from my X501_USA_Cricket using Tapatalk 2

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in a little local midweek tournament where two notoriously slow players were playing each other.(one was slow, the other glacially slow)

As Fran has mentioned..in the spirit of finishing the tournament in our lifetime, the TD set a time limit on their match at the outset.

He made them lag for the win at the appointed time.

They were not happy, but everyone else was.:eek:

(I am guilty of being deliberate..takes a while to consider all the ways to miss and sell out.)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a slow player but I believe part of it is deliberate to get the opponent frustrated and out of his game.

Unfortunately in a tournament setting it can mess up a lot of people. Without going into detail the world 14.1 tournament is a great example.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All leagues, in my humble opinion, should have a 30 second shot clock.

Leagues are full of people trying to learn how to play pool ... how are they ever going to learn with out a clock?

There is nothing good about staring at a pool table like you're some kind of zombie.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
well . . .

If I'm shooting eight ball I'm standing there trying to review back to the break and remember which balls I am shooting at. Playing one pocket I forget which pocket I'm shooting at. Embarrassing to have to ask the other player every inning and I think they lie to me sometimes anyway. Hell, I'm pretty sure they even swap players on me sometimes . . .

Sucks to get old!! Which key do I hit now? I know it is a big one . . .

Hu

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
(Not a jab at you, personally)

But as a mid level/ developing player, do you really feel the analysis is warranted, given the fact that your execution is not going to be as exact as a better player's.

I mean, say you are shooting the 3, looking at the proper angle to get on the 4 so that you can break out the clustered 5. No amount of consideration is going to minimize the importance of proper execution.

I can completely agree with you. I have gotten faster and have been trying to play faster as well. Sometimes I like to take my time and relax.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen several very good players play slow. They walk around look at this think about that. I think they want the audience to think they are very intelligent in their thought process. Very good players know what to shoot 95% of the time within 10 seconds after approaching the table. The reason they play so slow is to keep their opponent from getting into rhythm where he/she might catch a gear. Its a tactic that seems to work fairly well. I feel its un-sportsmen like conduct since its a form of sharking by trying to keep his/her from getting into gear.

there are a couple really good players that play very slow against me, im very confident that is to make sure i can never get a rhythm going...so those are guys i now refuse to match up against...id recommend others do the same...if you know someone uses various sharks in attempt to gain advantage, once you see that is how they are, simply refuse to ever play that person again..(there is no reason to try and fade crap like that, in my opinion)

Reactions: JC

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my experience, no one plays slow as a move or to shark their opponent. Neither in my personal experience in leagues and low-level tourneys, nor in my observations of pros in typical tournament situations such as the 14.1 tourney that just ended, and in which there were some significant slow-downs.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched a couple of really good players who were very slow.
They almost never miss so how can you say they should play faster?
On the other hand, I have seen some horrible players ,take forever to shoot.
I think they go brain dead, and the engines misfiring in those cases.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does a slow player think about as he/she stands beside the table, staring at the ball layout?

"The more I make my opponent wait, the more frustrated they will get and the greater the chances I might win." - Michael "Time Bandit" Wong

THE MONTREALER

THE MONTREALER
Silver Member
Thoughts of a slow player

HI Do you know what i do when i play a slow player i do it on purpose to play slower than he does it screws up his mind

The thing is when a player plays slows he starts thinking should i play the right shot and finnally misses the easy one

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
slow players kill this game. period. fast players are fun to play AND watch. everyone else is filler.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am assuming from your post that you are a slow player? I assume this because you are offering the *reasons* why someone plays slow. Are these guesses, assumptions, or personal experience?

KMRUNOUT