Three fouls and you lose -- at snooker!

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, but on my monitor, it looks as if he is snookered by the blue - FWIW - I have watched many

Snooker videos and myself play Snooker more than just a little bit. Just didn't know,

like I said BEFORE, you had to have a full red.

Dale

Can't you hear the referee telling him which red he could see full ball, he said it right there when he warned him, he said " I have to warn you the red next to pink you can see full ball " then Walden himself took a close look and said to the referee " OK "

So now they're both in agreement, so that's that man, weather you think personally that he could or could not see it is irreverent. Since the player himself agreed then the rule will be played as it is, and that what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I like how they just move the balls back as if they're even close to the same place lol

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like how they just move the balls back as if they're even close to the same place lol
Both players have to agree that the balls are close enough. As mentioned before, in larger events there is video support for restoring the position.

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corrections to the general misinformation in the several posts above...

Warning! This will probably end up a long and boring post so pass over it if you are not interested...

This thread started as a thread about the Three Miss rule regarding central, full ball contact. It devolved for a while into general chaos regarding the standard Foul and a Miss rule during more common situations. These are the obscure Rules of Snooker that nearly nobody understands, even most actual snooker players in my experience. I like to say that these are like the "dropped third strike" and "infield fly" rules of baseball....most people are generally aware of them but not exactly sure of the specifics. So below are three screenshots of the video to demonstrate why this is specifically a central, full ball contact situation which ended in loss of frame and why the balls are not arranged EXACTLY the same as in the original shot (spoiler alert: by the Rules of Snooker, they are not required to be).

The screenshots:
Original.jpg

After first miss.jpg

After second miss.jpg

As I hope everyone will agree, in the first photo, it is actually the Red ball third in line from the Pink that is on with central, full ball contact. To a non-snooker player, this probably makes no sense...the striker ("shooter" for non-snooker people) clearly could not possibly hit that particular Red full ball because there is the edge of that other Red in the way. Here's the rub...a Red cannot by definition be snookered or obstructed in any way by another Red. Even if there was a Red way down against the Black cushion (the bottom of the photo) that the cue ball could not possibly roll to because of the edges of ten other Reds in the way, this would still be considered a central, full ball contact situation. Just imagine all of those other Reds simply disappearing temporarily. They don't exist. Now if you could roll the cue ball central, full ball to that Red, we are officially in a central, full ball contact situation with the possibility of Three Misses resulting in the loss of frame.

Next is the referee resetting the positions after the first foul. If you watch the video again, you will notice a curious event. Referee Paul Collier positions the Reds where he thinks they need to be, then goes to reset White to its position. Striker Ricky Walden helps him with this (hey, he was there, he knows where it belongs). Then Paul Collier goes back to the Reds and makes an adjustment. Guess what? He NEEDED for that ball to be available in a central, full ball contact situation because he knew that is what it was prior to the first attempt so he had to make sure the SITUATION was the same for the second attempt even though the balls were probably not in exactly the same positions. Little doubt that he was quite certain they were not exactly correct, but, by the Rules, they do not actually need to be. The referee is required to replace any balls that he sees fit to the best of his ability (there are some cases that he may completely ignore balls that may have moved a little bit but have no relevance to the situation at hand), and he is also required to assure that the table situation is consistent with the original stroke. Thus, he had to make an adjustment to that Red.

Someone mentioned video support for resetting balls to their exact positions. Yes, of course this is done with all the pomp and circumstance in major tournaments and equipped venues. This clip is from a simple, Best of Five frames league match, not major. There is not even a live audience except maybe a few bodies that happen to be standing around.

You notice the "After second miss" photo is pretty close to the "After first miss" photo. Frankly, Paul Collier was probably a little surprised that this turned into the Three Miss situation that it did so he probably truthfully was not as well prepared to reset after the initial Miss because it just didn't seem to be a particularly difficult shot. After the first Miss occurred, he was ready for a second.

And lastly, yes, after any reset situation, the ref will consult with both players. This is simply common courtesy. Sometimes they may quibble a little and want to shimmy around this ball or that. Doesn't happen too often. Being a nice guy, the ref will try to make both players happy as long as he has fulfilled his requirements (see above). More often than not, the striker will correct the referee in a direction that makes the shot more difficult for him, i.e., the striker knows exactly how much of the snookering ball he was looking at so if the ref places it further away, the player usually says the cue ball was buried deeper. They all want to get it correct. After all, it is a gentleman's game. But ultimately, the ref has the final word. If necessary, the referee has the classic authority of Archie Bunker...."Case closed!"; doesn't actually need any permission at all from the players...it is just courtesy.

If you made it all the way through this and are still confused by these rules, that's okay. People have lived long and successful lives without this knowledge. But rules are rules. Some people forget that.

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't you hear the referee telling him which red he could see full ball, he said it right there when he warned him, he said " I have to warn you the red next to pink you can see full ball " then Walden himself took a close look and said to the referee " OK "

So now they're both in agreement, so that's that man, weather you think personally that he could or could not see it is irreverent. Since the player himself agreed then the rule will be played as it is, and that what happened.

Can't you read at all???

And - FYI - I am always "reverent".

Dale(who is sometimes irrelevant)

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't you read at all???

And - FYI - I am always "reverent".

Dale(who is sometimes irrelevant)

I can read lol, but I am correcting you, if you choose to still believe what you think you are seeing even thought it's not correct then it's your choice and I can't fix that.

See the post above your previous post, a man took the time to actually show you the red that could be hit full, and it is the red I meant and it is the red also mentioned by the referee which you don't want to believe but yes, this red can be seen full weather you want to believe it or not. It didn't matter, look at the screenshots anyway. The player himself was standing behind the shot and said "OK" too.

It's crazy sometimes that when a person wants to believe something and they don't want to change their mind, you can show them the truth and no matter what , they won't change their mind lol

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
......But the chances of me playing any snooker (especially on a 12' table) are so slim, please don't take the time to explain them.

Sorry, krupa. I just realized I went against your wishes with the long post. I always try to put the disclaimer at the beginning of posts like that so people don't waste their time unless they are truly interested.

I have a passion for The Game so I feel the need to speak up when I see ignorance on display. If only the American market could properly see Snooker for what it truly is rather than what they think it is, maybe, just maybe Snooker could get a toe hold in the USA and our great players can begin to compete on the world stage. I admire what Corey Deuel tried to do several years back; took a tremendous amount of courage to give it an honest go the way he did. Rather than making excuses for why he did not do better, if the masses will take the time to actually learn and appreciate The Game, one day we will compete. But it is a long road. And if I can play a small part by bringing understanding to a few people, maybe that will help.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Sorry, krupa. I just realized I went against your wishes with the long post. I always try to put the disclaimer at the beginning of posts like that so people don't waste their time unless they are truly interested.

I have a passion for The Game so I feel the need to speak up when I see ignorance on display. If only the American market could properly see Snooker for what it truly is rather than what they think it is, maybe, just maybe Snooker could get a toe hold in the USA and our great players can begin to compete on the world stage. I admire what Corey Deuel tried to do several years back; took a tremendous amount of courage to give it an honest go the way he did. Rather than making excuses for why he did not do better, if the masses will take the time to actually learn and appreciate The Game, one day we will compete. But it is a long road. And if I can play a small part by bringing understanding to a few people, maybe that will help.

No need to apologize. Although I would love to try snooker, the chances are remote and so I didn't want anyone taking the time to explain something that I will probably never use.

I have a couple sets of pool balls that are distinct enough to not confuse; I suppose I could just fart around with "snooker-lite" on my Gold Crown. :)

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am just saying I am against the principle of the "tactic" of the intentional foul. I think it's bad for the game, any game probably...
Intentionally not attempting to pocket a ball to play a safety is also a tactic. Why exactly are you not also against the principle of an intentional safety? If you have an open shot, are you obligated to follow the principle of attempting to pocket it "to the best of your ability"? Does the common complaint of the casual bar pool player that safety play is chicken-sh*t hold merit?

As is yours when you say, "Intentionally fouling is abiding by the rules." Try that the next time you are speeding because you are late for work..."But officer, it is legal. I was doing it on purpose."
Comparing apples and oranges a bit here?

My basketball example is a much more apt analogy. I take you it you're not a big basketball fan.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can read lol, but I am correcting you, if you choose to still believe what you think you are seeing even thought it's not correct then it's your choice and I can't fix that.

See the post above your previous post, a man took the time to actually show you the red that could be hit full, and it is the red I meant and it is the red also mentioned by the referee which you don't want to believe but yes, this red can be seen full weather you want to believe it or not. It didn't matter, look at the screenshots anyway. The player himself was standing behind the shot and said "OK" too.

It's crazy sometimes that when a person wants to believe something and they don't want to change their mind, you can show them the truth and no matter what , they won't change their mind lol

So, the answer is NO, you can't read even slightly.

What I posted was that I was unaware of the "full red" requirement,
even tho I follow Snooker, and even played a bit at one time.

This is a fairly straight forward and easily understood comment, that
has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not he could see a full red.
As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have anything to do with the video.

At no time EVER did I say he could not see a full red.
That is because I do NOT think he could not see a full red.
Do you get it yet?

What I did say was that on my monitor it looked like he could not.

Are you really so brain dead stupid you don't understand the difference between,
"it looked like" and "it is"?

Dale(Honorary head of the Need for Precision in Language Foundation. it looks like)

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I love the computer-generated views they show when a layout is best understood from a variety of angles. When watching larger tournaments (the video in the OP is from Champions League which has a bit smaller production) the computer generated views give you what a player would see walking around the table, very cool :thumbup: Those views help one understand the issues facing the player when the typical view does not. They also use the "from the pocket" views which often show a ball will pass when at first glance from the normal camera angle you don't think is will.

Dave <--- loves watching snooker more than any other cue sport

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, the answer is NO, you can't read even slightly.

What I posted was that I was unaware of the "full red" requirement,

even tho I follow Snooker, and even played a bit at one time.

This is a fairly straight forward and easily understood comment, that

has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not he could see a full red.

As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have anything to do with the video.

At no time EVER did I say he could not see a full red.

That is because I do NOT think he could not see a full red.

Do you get it yet?

What I did say was that on my monitor it looked like he could not.

Are you really so brain dead stupid you don't understand the difference between,

"it looked like" and "it is"?

Dale(Honorary head of the Need for Precision in Language Foundation. it looks like)

You started name calling here, the previous comment you said I can't read and now you calling me stupid, it's ok all I am going to tell you is that whatever it is that "it looked like" to you was wrong, you either need a new monitor so then you can see the real truth in pictures or you learn a bit of body language seeing the referee and the player body language was so clear in telling you the whole story. Regardless of all this I tried to help you with the correct information then you wanted to fight with me because you were wrong but you said "On your monitor it looked like". Which in your book made being wrong ok I guess? Lol

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You started name calling here, the previous comment you said I can't read and now you calling me stupid, it's ok all I am going to tell you is that whatever it is that "it looked like" to you was wrong, you either need a new monitor so then you can see the real truth in pictures or you learn a bit of body language seeing the referee and the player body language was so clear in telling you the whole story. Regardless of all this I tried to help you with the correct information then you wanted to fight with me because you were wrong but you said "On your monitor it looked like". Which in your book made being wrong ok I guess? Lol

Actually, you are the one who was wrong. I NEVER SAID HE COULD NOT SEE FULL RED.

So, your'e not stupid - but you are a liar. Well, I guess you are stupid, because you are continuing to lie
about a statement that is viewable for all to see. Reminds me of a certain pathological
case seller and aiming.

Dale