Tip press

jsaxman

It's all about ass!
Silver Member
Just ordered a Picone Tip Press.

Anyone that has one of these tip Press?

How did you set up the tip press to get
the SAME amount of compression on EVERY tip?

How much time do you keep each tip in the press?

Any feedback would be appriciated!!!

I like the press that compresses the tip.
(not flaten the tip like a pancake)

Also, Anyone try a coat of superglue on the
sides of elkmaster tips.(keep the tip from
mushroom a little longer?)

later,
sax

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Just ordered a Picone Tip Press.

Anyone that has one of these tip Press?

How did you set up the tip press to get
the SAME amount of compression on EVERY tip? TORQUE WRENCH

How much time do you keep each tip in the press?

Any feedback would be appriciated!!!

I like the press that compresses the tip.
(not flaten the tip like a pancake)

Also, Anyone try a coat of superglue on the
sides of elkmaster tips.(keep the tip from
mushroom a little longer?) YES THIS WORKS, but you still must press it first some.

later,
sax

I just use two flat pieces of angle iron and a torque wrench to tighten the side nuts to the pressure i'm looking for.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I use the Picone presses. I bought two. Definitely worth the money.
It comes with both pistons. One for domed tips and one for flat.
I use a C clamp and you really don't need a lot of pressure.
I guess I do mine by feel and they usually come out approx .180.
Joey had posted previously that he presses his to .180. I try and attain that measure and they seem to work quite well at that.
If you use a C clamp and crank it down tight, you will end up with a very flat tip.
Keep that in mind Bud, with those presses, you do not need a lot of pressure.

Joe sends a pamphlet with the press that explains how to make the Milk Duds and a picture of a milling vise that he uses.

I use to soak for 24 and press for the same.
Now, I heat in the micro wave until the milk is hot. I let it cool down and you can see the tips expanding.
Once more in the micro and let it cool again. By this time the tips will have expanded about all they will.
Depending on how powerful your micro oven is, don't overheat or they will get real long and funny looking.
I've done this. Haha. That will render them unusable. My micro, 30 seconds is plenty and its not a big one.

I press for a couple or 4 hrs, take them out and let them air dry. This way I might get several tips pressed in a day.
They're soaked, they're pressed and they don't mushroom so I don't think press time makes a huge difference.
I use a few, sell a few and give a few away. No one has complained and they all like them.

After cutting an Elk Master, the edges do look a little ragged so yes, I will swipe a small amount of CA on the side after burnishing most times. Just for aesthetic purposes more than anything because after pressing, they won't mushroom.

Pass a few around to your friends and players at the hall. They will think you're the coolest dude around and after they try them,
you will most likely get compliments and you never know, maybe a couple of free beer.

I posted this in the main forum last week. There is a guy that plays from the bar that sponsors our team.
I over heard him telling a team that he was sparring in for one night that he has his tips custom made for him.
He apparently pays $300 per tip. Of course he was talking about Milk Duds. He had told me that the guy who makes them for him takes 6 months to do. They are soaked and pressed over and over for that period of time.
Please do not try and sell these for $300, you will get laughed at.

Last edited:

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one of Joe's presses. It works great! It will come with instructions. For me, it depends if it's for a break cue or a player. For players it doesn't take much pressure to keep the mushrooming to a min. On tips I put on break cues, like a Superpro, or a Sumo, I crank em down harder. I use a simple vise, and I press them for about 30 min. When I first started installing tips 11 years ago, I just used a four pound short handled sledgehammer, and would pop it once, maybe twice. Just enough to flatten the crown a little. The tip press gives me a much better result! Good luck! :thumbup:

jsaxman

It's all about ass!
Silver Member
tip press

Thanks for all the feedback!!!!

I will try different methods of compressing the tips.

Looking for the most consistent method to press the tips.

Is there a way to test the hardness of tips?

In a box of 50 tips....Triangle or Elkmaster.....
How can you tell the ones that are duds(scrap)?
Some tips...when I start to trim the sides/or shape the tip to a dime shape...they are scrap...
...cut then off... start over with another tip...

later,
sax

Last edited:

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Thanks for all the feedback!!!!

I will try different methods of compressing the tips.

Looking for the most consistent method to press the tips.

Is there a way to test the hardness of tips?

In a box of 50 tips....Triangle or Elkmaster.....
How can you tell the ones that are duds(scrap)?
Some tips...when I start to trim the sides...they are scrap...
...cut then off... start over with another tip...

later,
sax
had the same problem with lepros
someone on here awhile back mentioned putting them in a bowl of water
the sinkers are the keepers
the floaters are junk
seems to work about 75% of the time

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you guys doing the float test on tips after they have been soaked & pressed? Or do you test them first and toss the floaters??

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This tool looks great! How do you guys use it? Do you have to use some type of vice as in the example picture off the website?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Joe sends a pamphlet with his jig. It shows a picture of his milling vise with a
piece of tape measure on the side. That way, he can get the same distance/pressure each time.

Probably the best way if you have a milling vise. I don't so I use a C clamp.
After a few tries, you get a feel for how much to twist the clamp.

I've squashed the tips flat with too much pressure, I resoak them and press again. Hasn't hurt them a bit and maybe makes them better, who knows?

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
had the same problem with lepros
someone on here awhile back mentioned putting them in a bowl of water
the sinkers are the keepers
the floaters are junk
seems to work about 75% of the time
I decided to try the water trick with Triangles we have in stock, just to separate bad ones for a cheap install or a house cue. After I sunk third box and had ZERO floaters, I gave up. Now I'm dreaming of taking a look at a floating Triangle tip :grin: (probably we bought good tips, right?)

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
I had to slightly increase the radius of the domed piston as the pressed tips came out too flat.

I also don't see Elk Master (that survived side trimming) mushrooming after pressing but I play like and stroke the balls like a pussy.