tip technology - hardness at center different from hardness at edges

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Low deflection tips? 🤦‍♂️ Watch out for these products next.

Low deflection chalk
Low deflection gloves
Low deflection cases
Low deflection bridge

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Low deflection chalk
Low deflection gloves
Low deflection cases
Low deflection bridge

Kamui has a chart showing, what they claim is, the difference in deflection of their various types of tips.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member

Low deflection chalk
Low deflection gloves
Low deflection cases
Low deflection bridge
When I developed the tips, I didn't expect them to lower deflection although I wondered whether it was possible based on some of my sit down conversations with Royce...It was a happy accident as I've had my pivot points marked on my shaft for years. After putting the first prototype tip on my cue, I started missing when using side spin and I quickly discovered that the pivot point had shifted backwards. It wasn't until a bit later that I remembered the conversations with Royce and the mention of the possibility of what ended up being the case.

It took a lot of testing and discovery to get a decent understanding of what was going on. I wouldn't look for them to come to market any time soon though. As stated, I had materials issues and don't know that it's viable as a production item because of the nature of how they work.

Jaden

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
When I developed the tips, I didn't expect them to lower deflection although I wondered whether it was possible based on some of my sit down conversations with Royce...It was a happy accident as I've had my pivot points marked on my shaft for years. After putting the first prototype tip on my cue, I started missing when using side spin and I quickly discovered that the pivot point had shifted backwards. It wasn't until a bit later that I remembered the conversations with Royce and the mention of the possibility of what ended up being the case.

It took a lot of testing and discovery to get a decent understanding of what was going on. I wouldn't look for them to come to market any time soon though. As stated, I had materials issues and don't know that it's viable as a production item because of the nature of how they work.

Jaden
Good for you Jaden. I think your credibility is intact considering that you are not trying to sell these tips on this thread. We can agree to disagree.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
When I developed the tips, I didn't expect them to lower deflection although I wondered whether it was possible based on some of my sit down conversations with Royce...It was a happy accident as I've had my pivot points marked on my shaft for years. After putting the first prototype tip on my cue, I started missing when using side spin and I quickly discovered that the pivot point had shifted backwards.
No dog in the discussion regarding LD tips, but I have to say that it's comments like the above that make me give my head a shake.

I haven't know the following about any of my playing cues:
  • weight
  • length
  • balance point
  • tip specifics (beyond hardness)
  • pivot point
I play at a decent level for an amatuer, but can't imagine being so dialed into my equipment that a shaft's pivot point being shifted back a small distance would through me off to the point of missing consistently.

How does one even figure out the pivot point of their playing shaft...?

Sorry for the off topic response.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
No dog in the discussion regarding LD tips, but I have to say that it's comments like the above that make me give my head a shake.

• weight
  • length
  • balance point
  • pivot point
I play at a decent level for an amatuer, but can't imagine being so dialed into my equipment that a shaft's pivot point being shifted back a small distance would through me off to the point of missing consistently.

A feel player might not notice. I use BHE (back hand english) and any change in a pivot point will be immediately apparent as soon as you use side spin on a shot. I had never seen (aside from converting a shaft to LD from normal deflection by coring the shaft and lowering the endmass) a shaft change its pivot point so much from any change, so it was unexpected to say the least.

Jaden

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

• weight
  • length
  • balance point
  • pivot point

I’m in the same boat I have no clue the weight, balance point of my cue. I don’t even know what a pivot point is. I do know the tip is a triangle because I installed it myself. I just play pool. I’m not a great player but I’m not terrible either. I don’t see how knowing any of this stuff would help me play any better. I beat the 9 ball ghost 7-1 the last time I played it. Maybe it would help me, I definitely have room for improvement but I just play because I like to

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui has a chart showing, what they claim is, the difference in deflection of their various types of tips.

I’m pretty familiar with Kamui’s marketing materials, but I’ve never seen this.

I *have* seen a chart graphing the elasticity vs hardness for the various tips they offer. Are you sure you’re not thinking of this?

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m pretty familiar with Kamui’s marketing materials, but I’ve never seen this.

I *have* seen a chart graphing the elasticity vs hardness for the various tips they offer. Are you sure you’re not thinking of this?

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
When I post something, I am ALWAYS sure. :)

Go to their website and click on one of the tips.

A little chart will open showing your what they claim are the properties for that tip.

The chart for each tip is different.

Look at the bottom of this chart compared to the one below it.

E155F211-749E-4125-9B14-EF67441C8345.png

650E6641-AEC1-46D5-950A-F040BB10F22B.png