Tip - What flavor is everybody running these days - Just to see what is more liked

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Like you, the cheapest I can get.

Don't need a soft tip 'cuz I'm too skeered to shoot anything but center ball hits and don't need a hard one 'cuz I break like a little bitch.

Currently I'm using an old one that was found on the floor at the pool room.
Yes! Best tip you can get is one that came off a house cue...it's broken in the right way.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
A leather tip almost can't bet hard enough for me.
I like the feed back.
Same here dude. The best I've found is hard milkduds. I recently got a tip press, but before that I pressed them in a huge old bench vise with about a 10" handle and cranked them as hard as I possibly could. The tip sounds almost like glass, but it holds chalk really well, spins the ball and no miscues. My next experiment is in the refrigerator right now, and once that's done I'm going to really crank one down in the big bench vise and with the tip press. It may end up being a break tip but we'll see.

I tried to put some shims in the jaws of the vice and the tip actually compressed the wood. I had to take it out and go bare metal. It's ridiculous that it shoots this good.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I will give a serious answer now. I like a Water Buffalo tip on my playing cue. Once it is "played in" it holds shape well and does not mushroom or require much attention. I also use one on my breaking cue that is bench compressed before installation.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui brown medium for the last 5 years. Previously used a Moori medium for a few years.

I picked Kamui because it seemed a respected brand on AZB, and "medium" because I had no way to A/B test tips and just wanted "average" hardness.

BTW, when I switched to a LD shaft around 7 years ago I was able to A/B test shafts and that was great. The OB factory is close to me and I took 4 of their shafts home for free trials. With an hour of testing I was able to prove to myself the LD shaft improved my pocketing percentage significantly on shots requiring a hard hit with English. I wish it was practical to test tips like that.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah the biggest reason I love the Zan Premuim soft is it runs a little hard. Once it’s broken in it’s perfect for me who likes a medium tip. I’ve never had glazing issues with any of the several I’ve used and once they have the initial break in they stay consistent.
Is the Zan premium soft any different/better than the Zan soft? I liked the soft, other than the hassle of having to remove the mushrooming at least three or four times until it stopped mushrooming.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the Zan premium soft any different/better than the Zan soft? I liked the soft, other than the hassle of having to remove the mushrooming at least three or four times until it stopped mushrooming.
I’ve never used the regular soft. But I’ve only had one out of maybe six or seven premium soft mushroom. Trimmed it once and that was it. Might be luck but I’ve had nothing but good experience with them.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don’t know. i have Blacks, and I think he used Triangles or similar back in the day.

I just took 2 Blacks over to Scott Gilmore, who Richard authorized to work on his cues. I got one back (refinish and new tip on one shaft), a tip replaced on a Sneaky Pete I had made about 30 years ago, and ordered a new cue from Scott (hits very similar to Richard’s cues).

I asked about the tips when I picked up the last one. Scott said Richard orders tips custom pressed to his specifications. These days, when a batch comes in, he calls Scott and they sort through them. They throw some away, and sort the others. They split the order. He did not elaborate on the criteria used to sort them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t know. i have Blacks, and I think he used Triangles or similar back in the day.

I just took 2 Blacks over to Scott Gilmore, who Richard authorized to work on his cues. I got one back (refinish and new tip on one shaft), a tip replaced on a Sneaky Pete I had made about 30 years ago, and ordered a new cue from Scott (hits very similar to Richard’s cues).

I asked about the tips when I picked up the last one. Scott said Richard orders tips custom pressed to his specifications. These days, when a batch comes in, he calls Scott and they sort through them. They throw some away, and sort the others. They split the order. He did not elaborate on the criteria used to sort them.
Richard who?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Have not changed Tips I use forever, turned on to Tiger Hard Layered year ago, bout a box, still have some to replace worn out ones.. Works why reinvent wheel? If it was 1950 it would be leather non layered no name tip everyone used. Too many choices, and most work............how good? Depends if you believe hype associated with the sales pitch.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume you're just being humorous, but just in case, I'm speaking of Richard Black, of course.
I misread it. Is Richard still at it?? What is he now, 80-ish? I took a tour of his old shop back in '82 and bought a Hoppe style. Wish i'd kept it.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I misread it. Is Richard still at it?? What is he now, 80-ish? I took a tour of his old shop back in '82 and bought a Hoppe style. Wish i'd kept it.
I think he's slowed down quite a bit. I have not seen him or spoken with him, but Scott still interacts with Richard a fair amount. The last time I was at Scott's shop, he had some sort of art plaque Richard left with him for some finishing work. It was incredible looking. Scott said there was a matching cue, and that was outstanding. He said Richard will take on a project that interests him, but it usually involves something elaborate and extremely expensive.

I tried to take a picture of the art plaque, but the lighting was poor in that part of the shop and my flash on the iPhone went off and destroyed the detail. I'll post the picture, but it's nothing compared to seeing the real thing. The plaque was made using inlay features from the cue, just on a larger scale.

Art Piece.jpg

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I get a box, then I go thru a new box of 50 Le Pros by turning em all over then I usually find 10-14 good tips. ''to pick em out''.......First, On the flat side, they must have little or no grain in the leather, and when you ''tap'' the flat surface on the counter top, the sound of the leather's hardness talks. The crisper/sharper the sound the better and denser the leather, easier to trim also.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
I used Moori for years but then when they started glazing over I switched to Triangle..I had 2 pro shop guys tell me this trick and honestly
it has really worked for me..You fill the bathroom sink with water....Grab a handful of Triangle tips and drop them in the water...The good ones will sink right away to bottom......Ones that go slow or float down don't use , but get the ones sunk on bottom..Let them dry and look for the smoothest bottoms....Usually its only around half the box.....Keep those somewhere as good and the others for break sticks or something...
Sounds corny but the last 9 tips I've used or gave to a friend have been great so far...

Greg M

Elk Master Pro. Been using the regular Elks for a number of years, but trying the Pros out for kicks.

Pfs896

Hello ,

I just wanted to see what everybody is using for their Tip choice these days and what you like about them. I plan on ordering me some Black Medium Ultra skins to try , I have been using Triangle here latley and once they break in the seem to take English really well . I use to really like LePro's but It seems it is hard to find a good one these days , what are you guys liking these days . Thanks for all you input
Mako, ultra skin and g2 all medium