Tipping on table time?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone count table time towards the tip amount?
I usually only have a drink or two when playing, so there is a $10/15 bar tab with a $20-30 table time bill in some places, then I feel a bit odd leaving a $3 tip when the total bill is $35 or something higher. On the other hand, I'm just playing pool and feels just as odd paying extra for that since the staff has nothing to do with that.

Or even worse when it's some automated computer thing that puts in 15/20/25 % tip amounts you just click on to select so you are paying for the table time no matter what, which I think is a bit unfair.

Sometimes I compromise and add a few extra dollars in especially in my regular places, so I can end up with a 50-100% tip on the drinks LOL

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Nope, I don't

They charge table time and drinks/food separate at bogies, which is kind of a pain and I don't really get the purpose of it.
I just tip the girl running around with drinks

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, I don't

They charge table time and drinks/food separate at bogies, which is kind of a pain and I don't really get the purpose of it.

So you have two bills? Not sure if I ran into a place that did that but it's a good idea for those with touchy guilt feeling LOL

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I have always tipped based on service. ...so even though I may not be drinking a ton, if the server continues to do her job and merely ask throughout the night, then I have no problem tipping on the full amount.
Nope, I don't

At my local spots they combine everything into a single bill....

Scrunge19

Registered
My room has a weird thing going on where their pool room and the bar are considered separate businesses or something like that so you have to pay for your table time in the pool room and your drinks/food in the bar. And you can bring beer into the pool room but not liquor/mixed drinks.

Anyways, I'll tip on drinks bought in the bar but not on the table time I pay in the poolroom. The guy who runs that place is clueless anyways so the business is run so poorly that it struggles to find any decent employees worth tipping anyways.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tip ridiculous amounts in terms of percentages to the good guys and gals. Take me over the hurdles, nary a cent! The room owner knew my habits so when I didn't tip his counterman a cent he noticed. "He didn't know!" "He will next time." The counterman was looking after the owner a little too good and took me for a sucker. New guy though, we did come to an understanding!

I won't tip for lousy service with no reason for it. In restaurants I do tip, a quarter tossed down after I stand up so it rings and bounces on the table! Just want the person that waited on me to know I didn't forget, and everyone else nearby to know what I thought the service was worth!

Hu

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tip solid to strong on table time. However, I don't eat or drink much because of diabetes, and also have worked tip jobs for the last thirty years.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The Tip thing is way over the Top, it use to be you tipped someone for great service. Like the shoe shine guy, waiter, waitress, paper boy, etc.

Now most fast food walk up or fast coffee places have tip jar or containers.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I make sure the house man is on my payroll.

everything ends well that way, just smart biz

If you don’t know what a house man is, don’t worry about it

best
Fatboy

Greg M

I only tip for meals in pubs if the staff are nice and the food is good. If I'm going in for a few frames of pool and a drink or two, I wouldn't tip.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Tipping for table time makes zero sense unless there is a racker like in the old days. Why would you tip? Paying for table time should get you clean balls and a clean table and maybe a cube of masters to use. It's built into the price.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
pool time is not part of service. unless you want it to be then tip accordingly.

if the house man is helping you in some other ways then certainly.

a tip is for personal service above and beyond standard.
or a payment so that the server doesnt sabotage you next time.

Nyquil

I'll tip if the service was good and I bought food waitress kept up on my water etc. When the waitress knocked over my Carmeli no tip was given that fateful day.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
The service staff make less because it takes tips into account. So i always tip. Even bad service i give them the benefit of the doubt. Everyone has a bad day. Now if it is the same issue every time i go in, i stop giving them business.

At my regular hall i always tip, but because i am there so often i tip a minimum of 5 dollars. 10 dollar tab, they still get 5 dollars. But I also pay very little table time regulars get a flat table fee.

I don't drink more than one or two usually but a few times a year the boys will go crazy and have a 150$ tab each. They definitely get a good tip.

Also, i did service jobs before. I am happy to not be doing it, and feel like they get the short end of the stick. You want to really make someones day, tip a drive through person 10 bucks. You wont see someone more surprised or grateful.

I did not start that thinking it would be a novel.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone count table time towards the tip amount?
I usually only have a drink or two when playing, so there is a $10/15 bar tab with a $20-30 table time bill in some places, then I feel a bit odd leaving a $3 tip when the total bill is $35 or something higher. On the other hand, I'm just playing pool and feels just as odd paying extra for that since the staff has nothing to do with that.

Or even worse when it's some automated computer thing that puts in 15/20/25 % tip amounts you just click on to select so you are paying for the table time no matter what, which I think is a bit unfair.

Sometimes I compromise and add a few extra dollars in especially in my regular places, so I can end up with a 50-100% tip on the drinks LOL
Even though I’ve run/owned a pool room/grill for 25 years, I don’t expect anyone to tip on their pool table time, only their food and drinks.

Some of the pool regulars tip the waitresses when they check out, even if they haven’t had food. Of course it’s appreciated, but it’s not expected.

With so many customers these days paying with a credit card, if your credit card receipt has a tip line on it like ours does (since we are a grill and serve food) a number of pool playing customers who have not eaten, see that credit card tip line and wonder if they are expected to tip on their pool, and some do.

If they ask if they are expected to tip on their pool, I will say no, but if they don’t ask, for the benefit of our wait staff, I will not offer that advice.