Tipping on table time?

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
no I would never tip on table time, the table isn't providing anything beyond its intended purpose. Personalized service gets tipped nothing else.
I worked in the bicycle industry for years and we never had a tip jar, never even considered it, we did get tips occasionally but never begged for them. When the service manager retired they brought in a new guy that put a tip jar out on day one, what an embarrassment like begging for change and the guy already made 30k back in the 90's what a loser he was. I actually quit because of that.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
If I did not leave them a nice tip, they sucked. I always tip well, everywhere I go. I want service though. I am a foodie and cook a lot, so I expect a lot. I will buy extras if the quality is there, the price is not so much an issue, just have to be worth the $$$$. I don't drink and they rely on booze tips to make ends meet: I GOTTA DO IT. :) Just my perspective. I frequent the same places around the country and get good service !
TAKE CARE OF THE PEOPLE WHO TAKE CARE OF YOU!

TFT

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good topic
neat to see so many opinions on the subject, tho I'm not surprised
myself, I generally err on "bread in the water"

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

I don't mind tipping a server for good service. Happy to do so. What I do not like is
the tip being added into the bill 'automatically', It's a case by case deal, personal if
you think about it. Now the bit about table time? That's something I purchased, like
a coat, a pair of shoes or something at the supermarket. That does not in anyway, for
me, qualify for a tip.

hank

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
The service staff make less because it takes tips into account. So i always tip. Even bad service i give them the benefit of the doubt. Everyone has a bad day. Now if it is the same issue every time i go in, i stop giving them business.

At my regular hall i always tip, but because i am there so often i tip a minimum of 5 dollars. 10 dollar tab, they still get 5 dollars. But I also pay very little table time regulars get a flat table fee.

I don't drink more than one or two usually but a few times a year the boys will go crazy and have a 150$ tab each. They definitely get a good tip.

Also, i did service jobs before. I am happy to not be doing it, and feel like they get the short end of the stick. You want to really make someones day, tip a drive through person 10 bucks. You wont see someone more surprised or grateful.

I did not start that thinking it would be a novel.
Tipping is Communication about your moment in time there between you and the server/Period.
When I walk into ANY place that has servers I do this.
I always bring CASH.
I only tip in Cash.
For those who are unaware, a 15% cash tip is better than a 20% credit card tip/remember we all pay TAXES.
The cash moment is the business end of your encounter with the server, then you leave.
I always carry cash JIC this place has REAL SLOW service when I want to leave and pay out.
I dislike waiting to pay if my time there was not as expected.

Anyone that tips for poor service, enables that person to do it again, and it worsens the business at hand.
It effects all employees.
One bad apple.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
Tipping is Communication about your moment in time there between you and the server/Period.
When I walk into ANY place that has servers I do this.
I always bring CASH.
I only tip in Cash.
For those who are unaware, a 15% cash tip is better than a 20% credit card tip/remember we all pay TAXES.
The cash moment is the business end of your encounter with the server, then you leave.
I always carry cash JIC this place has REAL SLOW service when I want to leave and pay out.
I dislike waiting to pay if my time there was not as expected.

Anyone that tips for poor service, enables that person to do it again, and it worsens the business at hand.
It effects all employees.
One bad apple.

Cash is better for sure. As to bad service, i was saying i still tip until it happens multiple times. Anyone can have a bad day. I have had bad days and i wouldn't want people to judge my 25 year career based on one of them, so i try not to judge theirs either.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
cash is more appreciated but it also means there is less money for social security or medicare for you when you will need it. yours wont matter but collectively it does. so all things have results.

also over tipping is nice. but say if you over tip 2000 or so a year that would amount to over a million dollars for you if you put it in the stock market starting young, for when you retire. how many of you figure to have a million when you retire.

just some things to consider.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a room owner, it's my job to keep my room clean, tables in good condition and a safe place to play. I can't do it alone. I need good staff who pay attention to my standards and make sure our customers have a good experience. I need my customers to appreciate my staff (if they perform well) and TIP them accordingly. This allows me to keep my staff as they'll make more money than I can afford to pay. Good rooms have good staff and that's how rooms survive.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I did not leave them a nice tip, they sucked. I always tip well, everywhere I go. I want service though. I am a foodie and cook a lot, so I expect a lot. I will buy extras if the quality is there, the price is not so much an issue, just have to be worth the $$$$. I don't drink and they rely on booze tips to make ends meet: I GOTTA DO IT. :) Just my perspective. I frequent the same places around the country and get good service !
TAKE CARE OF THE PEOPLE WHO TAKE CARE OF YOU!

TFT

Yep but the question was not so much about how much to tip, more so if the bill is say $20 table time and $20 bar/food tab, and you do a standard 15/20% tip, do you base it off the total or just the "service" part which is the food/drinks? I do agree if I go into a place and I don't order any food or drinks, which is very rare since I get something to be courteous to the business, just shoot a bit, it's a good idea to leave a few bucks for the staff just on pool time. I was more thinking about the combination of the two. Although I have to say a few times I went into some pretty badly kept up places to play, with dingy tables, dirty stuff, ripped carpet, and did not tip at all without food.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Yep but the question was not so much about how much to tip, more so if the bill is say $20 table time and $20 bar/food tab, and you do a standard 15/20% tip, do you base it off the total or just the "service" part which is the food/drinks? I do agree if I go into a place and I don't order any food or drinks, which is very rare since I get something to be courteous to the business, just shoot a bit, it's a good idea to leave a few bucks for the staff just on pool time. I was more thinking about the combination of the two. Although I have to say a few times I went into some pretty badly kept up places to play, with dingy tables, dirty stuff, ripped carpet, and did not tip at all without food.
I dont hang out in dumps. that fixes that!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tipping for table time makes zero sense unless there is a racker like in the old days. Why would you tip? Paying for table time should get you clean balls and a clean table and maybe a cube of masters to use. It's built into the price.
If your gambling you want the house man in your corner, therefore tipping is very important.

If your a hobby player or league, it’s polite to tip but not as important.

that’s the breakdown

best
Fatboy 😀

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
JUST STOP BEING NITS AND TIP THE PEOPLE WHO SERVE YOU! If you are worried about tipping properly, you probably don't know how much to begin with, just stay home!

TFT

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait staff? Always tip well...

When the houseman comps me or when gambling? Always tip well...

When it comes to just paying for table time?
giphy.gif

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your gambling you want the house man in your corner, therefore tipping is very important.

that’s the breakdown

best
Fatboy 😀
You like your food hot or cold? Drinks with ice? I usually add my pool-time to my tab. Waitresses/servers have very good memories for this stuff. ;)

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I don't typically tip for table time. In general though, my tipping strategy is that they start out with 10%. Good service keeps the 10%, Great service increases depending on the service. As service declines, the amount I'm willing to pay goes down, including up to the price of whatever service I'm getting. I will get up and walk out without paying a dime if the service is shitty enough and or taking inordinate amounts of time.

Not too long ago, I took my family out to breakfast after church. We went to a place and it was taking a LONG time to get our food. We had some orange juice, and my son some chocolate milk. It seems that someone else had been waiting for an hour and a half after sitting down and the meal brought was wrong and he was talking to the manager. He was upset but not inordinately so, and not beligerant in the way he was speaking to the manager; however, the manager became beligerant with the customer and said some things that were not said in the manner a manager should speak to a customer.

I said let's go and we got up and went down the street to IHOP instead. Didn't pay a dime.

Jaden

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I don't typically tip for table time. In general though, my tipping strategy is that they start out with 10%. Good service keeps the 10%, Great service increases depending on the service. As service declines, the amount I'm willing to pay goes down, including up to the price of whatever service I'm getting. I will get up and walk out without paying a dime if the service is shitty enough and or taking inordinate amounts of time.

Not too long ago, I took my family out to breakfast after church. We went to a place and it was taking a LONG time to get our food. We had some orange juice, and my son some chocolate milk. It seems that someone else had been waiting for an hour and a half after sitting down and the meal brought was wrong and he was talking to the manager. He was upset but not inordinately so, and not beligerant in the way he was speaking to the manager; however, the manager became beligerant with the customer and said some things that were not said in the manner a manager should speak to a customer.

I said let's go and we got up and went down the street to IHOP instead. Didn't pay a dime.

Jaden
I would have left enough on the table to cover the beverages. Defrauding an innkeeper is no joke, regardless if you spent the morning talking to God.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I would have left enough on the table to cover the beverages. Defrauding an innkeeper is no joke.
I didn't have cash in the right amount, I wasn't about to leave a $20 for $5 worth of drinks and I wasn't going to wait 20 minutes to cashout after already waiting 40 minutes and not getting our food.

Jaden

p.s. I did leave half an orange juice and half a chocolate milk for them?

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

that’s the breakdown

best
Fatboy 😀
Well you know that if I screw together my cue I am gambling.....LOL