Tips on cleaning a fiberglass shaft?

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
I have a fiberglass shaft, and I want to make it smooth again. When I first got it, it was smooth as silk, but now it's really sticky and annoying. Anyone have some suggestions on how to make it smooth again? Do I need to buy some sort of polish, or will a Magic Eraser work? Thanks for your help in advance :thumbup:

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
I dont own one but a quick trip to the mighty google gods yeilded advice including magic eraser, fume free oven cleaner, borax, and even boat wax.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I don't own one but I think that is the reason that it is recommended to use a glove.

I would contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend. They will probably have a product for it.

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
Ok, thanks guys but I don't want to use a glove. I'm going to just save up a little extra cash and buy an all wood shaft (might try out the eye shaft).

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
go to your local home improvement store and buy -

one of those outdoor firepits....make fire, insert shaft, walk away.....couldn't help it, just kidding of course. :p

barefoot3zk5

THE Kings, Alive and Well
Silver Member
along the lines of the fire pit, LOL , remove cube of chalk off the end of stick and drive a real stick under that piece of chalk. Jus kiddin, it is your money spend it like you want . That is what I do....

evanandpeaches

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a cuetec for a break cue a few years back and the product cuetec makes does work but has to be put on often (once a session) Also keeping a dry clean cloth to clean it off between racks.

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
ok LOL I got it... I've been meaning to buy an all wood shaft for some time now, I was just wondering if there was any way to smoothen the shaft up until I have the money to buy an all wood shaft... all I've been doing is using a TON of powder to make the shaft glide through my hand, but it makes everything messy.

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
ok LOL I got it... I've been meaning to buy an all wood shaft for some time now, I was just wondering if there was any way to smoothen the shaft up until I have the money to buy an all wood shaft... all I've been doing is using a TON of powder to make the shaft glide through my hand, but it makes everything messy.
Powder won't work. There are no pores in fiberglass to retain the powder.
It will be messy.
I would not waste your money on a wood shaft only!:(
Just buy yourself another cue.
I have lots of nice cues for you under $100. PM if you are interested.:thumbup:
I also have inexpensive gloves. 3 for $12 shipped.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First you grab a well burnish Maple shaft and rub it up and down the side of it. Once you actually hold one in you hands and realize how much better it not only feels.......:slap:...I am sorry I didn't mean to slap you...it was wrong I just....well...you know. I never do it again.....Smileys are great..:speechless:

Unscrew the cuetec, and install the Maple, carry a piece of leather and keep those hands dry. Burnish it every match and never use sand paper. Then you'll never have to ask "How to clean a fiberglass shaft" .

IMO

Sorry I used to have a Fishing pole....I mean Cuetec....never again....ever ever ever again....!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a fiberglass shaft, and I want to make it smooth again. When I first got it, it was smooth as silk, but now it's really sticky and annoying. Anyone have some suggestions on how to make it smooth again? Do I need to buy some sort of polish, or will a Magic Eraser work? Thanks for your help in advance :thumbup:

I have carbon fibre shafts, they are similar in that it is the resin getting sticky.
I just wipe the shaft with some Isopropal alcohol on a paper towel once in a while. When playing on pool-nite, I just often wipe the shaft with a clean napkin.
Clean dry hands is the biggest help.For some people gloves help also.
Neil Lickfold

barefoot3zk5

THE Kings, Alive and Well
Silver Member
Oh yea, I'm thinkin they ought to ban powder as well. works great on the babies ass but sure makes a mess on the pool table. Jus my opinion, can I be wrong ?? LOL

PastPrime

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fiberglass Products

One of the best things I've found for fiberglass or similiar products is something called Protect-All. It cleans and polishes and will fall right out of your hands if you're not carefull. Should be able to find it in Hardware Stores or Auto Shops. Very good product.

First, go to the hair products section at your nearest CVS / Walgreens etc. and buy some John Frieda Frizz Ease. One bottle of frizz ease should last you for a couple of years and costs a hell of a lot less than Q-Slick.

Now...Clean the shaft with water and a little bit of dish detergent (the kind you use to wash dishes by hand). Take a terrycloth wash towel, dip it in the soapy water, wring it until it's not soaking wet and use it to wipe clean the whole shaft. Rinse the wash cloth out good and then use it to wipe down the shaft again to remove any soap residue. Dry the shaft with soft paper towel or a towel. Now place three or four drops of "Frizz Ease" on a piece of paper towel and apply to the shaft in a brisk burnishing manner and you're done. The shaft should be clean as a whistle and slick as polished glass. :)

Fats

Last edited:

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay. First grab some lighter fluid and a match. This would probably be safer to perform outside!! Just playing. Being that it's fiberglass, you should be able to just wipe it clean with some newspaper or a rag. I don't think you should add any cleaning solvents to it. Just dry cloth or newspaper. Then grab some lighter fluid and a match.

Wait, sorry about that the medication must be wearing off!! LOL

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I play with a Cuetec that has a Fiberglass shaft. All I do is wipe it down vigorously after each use with a plain old cotton hand towel. The other big thing which I find necessary regardless of what type of shaft I'm shooting with is clean hands. I wash my hands right before I start playing and then again every 45 mins to an hour there after. Again, wood or fiberglass, that's what works best for me. Hope that helps. Cheers, -Z-