Tips pros use... Surprise !

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl has said many times that he uses Elk Master tips.

Rodney Morris told me that he liked to use Triangle tips.

CJ Wiley likes "milk duds".

It doesn't matter what they use...you aren't them and you aren't going to play like them no matter what tip you use.

I have people come up to me every week and ask me what type of tip I use when they see me hit a shot that requires some "magic" or a lot of "juice". I tell them and then set up the shot for them and let them try my cue to see how the shot works for them. 99% of the time, they can't do it or say the tip "isn't for them".

Find a tip you like and use it.

For me, I like Tom Hay's soft Ultra-skin black tips. They play way better than the Kamui crap and cost 1/10 as much.

If you can't control the cue ball, you can't control the table or the game.
Ditto on the Ultraskins. Great tips from a great seller. Tom is tops in customer service. Tough to beat $2.70 a tip for that quality.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He claimed that he went thru 10 boxes of them to get the 40 or so he said he had with him,and said the ones he liked best were the ones that were the "whitest" with clean,smooth bottoms because those had "more grit" in them :confused:. Tommy D.

sounds like a fun interaction with the pearl
my tip guy says he likes it clean and smooth too
so he can then rough up the bottom with a little sandpaper
he says the tip adheres to the shaft better that way

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditto on the Ultraskins. Great tips from a great seller. Tom is tops in customer service. Tough to beat $2.70 a tip for that quality.

I love Ultraskins--the best I found was for $5 a pop and I just purchased 6 (4 medium, 2 hard)...not to mention, this morning I just installed an ivory medium on my OB Pro+ for my Lucasi's worn out Sniper.

Who selling for $2.70?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Ultraskins--the best I found was for $5 a pop and I just purchased 6 (4 medium, 2 hard)...not to mention, this morning I just installed an ivory medium on my OB Pro+ for my Lucasi's worn out Sniper.

Who selling for $2.70?
10/25bux plus 2.70 ship. Here on AZ only via the link above. That Ivory med. is a nice tip btw. Put one on my Mezz(thanks DR!).

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I’ve been using the WB water buffalo solid tips. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to learn 98% of pro players use them. I also wouldn’t be surprised none do but damn they’re sweet.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Well, that answers that...:) I personally HATED LePro, they mushroomed on me before I even hit a hall...:rolleyes:

With a NEW tip....you Have to bevel cut the side of the tip correctly the first time to let it naturally then stand up, and become flush with the ferrule. They will also require a couple more rebootings of the tip side, in their first few weeks, but after that they play well, if the hide isn't too dry. I would always buy boxes and find maybe 10 that were good for me, rest went on house cues. But your right, they can be a pain but if nursed along outta the gate properly, they perform very well. Now does the leather in a le pro, create as much or less? spin/grip as an Elk, that interests me. Grip.... hummmmmmmmm.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been using the WB water buffalo solid tips. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to learn 98% of pro players use them. I also wouldn’t be surprised none do but damn they’re sweet.

Funny you mention, on that same order I picked up four water buffalo tips and installed on an old Cuetec shaft (that I don't play with regularly)...looks awesome though.

For people looking at an alternative to the $1 tip range, I'm really digging these Triumphs...put one on my 11mm maple/snooker shaped Players shaft, and it is hitting great. Although you can't see in the website photo, they have a orange-ish colored base that makes it pop (I'll try to get some photos out later).

https://www.billiardwarehouse.com/accessories/cuestix-2014/QTTRIU-14-SINGLE.html

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching the Dream Challenge that just took place in Russia and that's what I gathered :

Corey Deuel is using an Elkmaster
Sky Woodward is using a Technodud, which is basically a pressed Elkmaster
Shane van Boening was using an Elkmaster at least until recently, now possibly a Sniper
JJ stated that most layered tips he has tried were ok for the first couple of layers, then they harden and feel dead. He prefers single layer tips.

I think this will be surprising for many people.

Julian

I know Corey and Sky use Meucci cues, but do you know which ones? Black Dot, or Pro Series? I've got a Black Dot shaft that I've tried a Milk Dud, Le-Pro, a triangle, and an Elkmaster. I was wanting a softer hit, but the Elkmaster is to dead feeling, and the others feel like there's no tip. Those are pretty much the only tips I've used, so I don't know what to try next, any suggestions?

Eddie

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tips are called Elkmaster and Elk Pro. The Elk Pro is supposed to be a more carefully selected and processed Elkmaster. One Elk Pro costs roughly the same as one box, fifty, Elkmasters. I found about nine super light tips weighing a box of Elkmasters. Discarding these, the rest played fine and held up well.

A person could buy a set of scales, two boxes of Elkmaster tips, and still be money ahead instead of buying one three tip box of Elk Pro tips which seems to be how they come, boxes of three.

Started using Elkmasters or duds back in the eighties. I have tried other things, never found a tip I liked better or that lasted enough differently to notice. Tips last me for ages.

Hu

I bought a box of Elkmaster tips, (50 per box, about a year ago), and I thought they were going to be the regular, standard soft tips. I just opened them this weekend, and they're pressed and like Milk Duds. I don't think Tweeten sells Elk Master duds, do they? I went ahead and installed it on my Black Dot Meucci shaft, and I thought the shaft was going to shatter, it was so hard, so I've got 49 more I've got to do something with, (trade, or sell).

Eddie

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Corey and Sky use Meucci cues, but do you know which ones? Black Dot, or Pro Series? I've got a Black Dot shaft that I've tried a Milk Dud, Le-Pro, a triangle, and an Elkmaster. I was wanting a softer hit, but the Elkmaster is to dead feeling, and the others feel like there's no tip. Those are pretty much the only tips I've used, so I don't know what to try next, any suggestions?

Eddie
IIRC they both use Pro's, CD a 12.5 and SW a 13. Give the Ultraskins a shot. The Black comes in Pro soft, Super soft and soft. The Ivory in soft.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Odd

I bought a box of Elkmaster tips, (50 per box, about a year ago), and I thought they were going to be the regular, standard soft tips. I just opened them this weekend, and they're pressed and like Milk Duds. I don't think Tweeten sells Elk Master duds, do they? I went ahead and installed it on my Black Dot Meucci shaft, and I thought the shaft was going to shatter, it was so hard, so I've got 49 more I've got to do something with, (trade, or sell).

Eddie

Eddie,

I don't have a clue what you have got. I would hang on to them until I figured it out though. You may have made a major score on a fluke!

Tweeten makes and sells Elkmaster and Elk Pro tips but neither match what you seem to have. You may have some of the super rare unobtainium tips.

Those tips are worth somewhere between two cents and twenty dollars plus apiece. It would be nice for you to figure out where they fall before you start parting with them. I would first take a picture and ask Tweeten what the heck you have.

Hu

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IIRC they both use Pro's, CD a 12.5 and SW a 13. Give the Ultraskins a shot. The Black comes in Pro soft, Super soft and soft. The Ivory in soft.

thanks garczar. From what I've been hearing from a few others in the forum, sounds like the Ultra Skins are high quality tips. I'm certainly going to give them a try.

Eddie

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
please update me/us

thanks Hu.....I wished I would've opened the box when I first received them, but I didn't think they would be any different than what I've got before....I didn't think about taking pictures of the tips, but I am going to do that and contact the Tweeten manufacturer to see what they have to say.

Eddie

Eddie,

Please let me/us know what you find out. Seems likely somebody was playing around in the shop and the tips accidentally got shipped. They probably won't be able to tell you but I am curious if the tips were soaked in anything and if so what. I seem to remember Kevin Varney soaking tips in oil and squeezing them to get a very hard tip. I was always a bit skeptical of that really being his process but I never tried it, don't plan to.

I don't want or need a super hard tip but curiosity persists!

Hu

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eddie,

Please let me/us know what you find out. Seems likely somebody was playing around in the shop and the tips accidentally got shipped. They probably won't be able to tell you but I am curious if the tips were soaked in anything and if so what. I seem to remember Kevin Varney soaking tips in oil and squeezing them to get a very hard tip. I was always a bit skeptical of that really being his process but I never tried it, don't plan to.

I don't want or need a super hard tip but curiosity persists!

Hu

Absolutely Hu. I'm curious too.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Eddie

Purchasing my first Meucci with the Pro shaft was my first experience and introduction to Ultraskin tips (wait, actually I take that back...my Bob Danielson SS360/P might have been the first), as that is what comes on all of them.

I now have 3 Pro & 1 Ultimate Weapon from him, all with Ultraskins...all awesome.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would guess the ones who are using elk masters are probably using pressed elk masters of some sort. Maybe not but that is my guess.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk