titlelist points ??

ericdraven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont know abou the old cues , but ive seen some saying used titlelist points . is that good or bad , or cheap or good? you see it mentioned on bushkas and szams then you see mention of burton spain points . which are better ?

middleofnowhere

Registered
i dont know abou the old cues , but ive seen some saying used titlelist points . is that good or bad , or cheap or good? you see it mentioned on bushkas and szams then you see mention of burton spain points . which are better ?
I would prefer a newly built butt by a compatent cuemaker over an old house cue conversion.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The term "Titlist Points" refers to the color combination of the stacked veneers on the points; usually a combination of 4 of the following: green, orange, natural, violet, teal and possibly a few others.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were factory new, not found in a garage after 40 years. Just my opinion, I would not really want one, especially at the price some ask.
If not abused a 30-40yr old Titleist still makes an awesome cue. I've hit cues made by Durbin, Gilbert and others that used old Titleist blanks and they played super good. Price have gotten high because of supply but that has nothing to do with how one plays. Those old B'wicks used very good wood and were made by craftsmen. Better than a lot of newer stuff i've seen.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is something about the history of old cues that can be intriguing. Converting them can be A LOT of work, often they are more work than building the cue from the beginning. For the Cue maker and If you use your imagination, Doing them can be quite the test but rewarding.

Attachments

• IMG_20191010_144547.jpg
    IMG_20191010_144547.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20191010_144555.jpg
    IMG_20191010_144555.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20181213_134459.jpg
    IMG_20181213_134459.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20181213_134449.jpg
    IMG_20181213_134449.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20191011_141547.jpg
    IMG_20191011_141547.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20191011_141539.jpg
    IMG_20191011_141539.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 124

middleofnowhere

Registered
If not abused a 30-40yr old Titleist still makes an awesome cue. I've hit cues made by Durbin, Gilbert and others that used old Titleist blanks and they played super good. Price have gotten high because of supply but that has nothing to do with how one plays. Those old B'wicks used very good wood and were made by craftsmen. Better than a lot of newer stuff i've seen.
I deleted that post because I didn't want it to be a debate. I used to play in a bowling alley that had all Titleist for house cues. They were good cues as we're most house cues back then.

middleofnowhere

Registered
There is something about the history of old cues that can be intriguing. Converting them can be A LOT of work, often they are more work than building the cue from the beginning. For the Cue maker and If you use your imagination, Doing them can be quite the test but rewarding.
Don't you have to be creative sometimes to get the points long enough to look pleasing?
In your pictures you have the wrap at the lowest point of the points. Did you have to add a piece to the end to get the length?
In other words, it is similar to using a Prather blank.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't you have to be creative sometimes to get the points long enough to look pleasing?
In your pictures you have the wrap at the lowest point of the points. Did you have to add a piece to the end to get the length?
Yes, you have to be creative. You have to deal with every conversion on an individual bssis. No two are really the same. Some conversions start out as an already finished cue by someone else and some are over sized fatt butt house cues. Those that can be left wrapless are truly beautiful. It flat out broke my heart to have to cut a wrap on this one. It was a big butt fatty when it came to me that could have been left wrapless. The challenge starts when everything is measured and what the end result your looking for is determined. It's a test and can be a big one at that especially the area where the points are. As in any Cue, you have to accept what it's been thru over time and what it could be.

Attachments

• IMG_20181213_134405.jpg
    IMG_20181213_134405.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20181213_134605.jpg
    IMG_20181213_134605.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20181213_134459.jpg
    IMG_20181213_134459.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20181213_134449.jpg
    IMG_20181213_134449.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 85

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I bought a used Titlist conversion and was kinda bummed when I discovered that the points were not all even. I was told that is part of the charm of conversions because they are made from hand made cues. Im always sniffing around for Titlist conversions or original Hoppe Titlist's. I have a very nice unmolested Hoppe Titlist but cant bring myself to turning it into a conversion.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a used Titlist conversion and was kinda bummed when I discovered that the points were not all even. I was told that is part of the charm of conversions because they are made from hand made cues. Im always sniffing around for Titlist conversions or original Hoppe Titlist's. I have a very nice unmolested Hoppe Titlist but cant bring myself to turning it into a conversion.
Very rare to find an original Titlist with all four points even.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even points are rare as hens teeth on titlest cues.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
HUH?? The cues made by B'wick WERE made by competent cuemakers. Some of the best hitting cues ever made used Titleist blanks.

Will the Titlists were mass produced as House Cues. Rosewood, Ebony, Purpleheart, and last realist was Oak.

Points could be dead perfect, or not perfect.

Today if you had 100 one piece Titlists, you would have people, Cuemakers on line to buy.
😄

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't blame you.
The easiest solution to the always ongoing riddle is this.
Everything has to be measured first before touching anything to see what possibilities exist, if any!
For the person doing the conversion, and this is the real key. You have to have an idea of how it was made and ASSUME
(hahaha) that all cuts (splices)were all even when it was constructed.
Knowing and accepting all of the above is a huge plus towards correcting what could have gone wrong.
Make no mistake about it. Doing them can be extremely challenging. They don't always work out and a lot of them are not really worth doing.
Every one on an individual basis. The money, though it can seem expensive at times. Is nothing compared to the work that will be done!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a super old Tad made from a titlest. Points are pretty close on that one.

I remember a friend had about 40 of them in one piece still in the 80’s. Idk how many he has left, probably a few. He didn’t do many conversions. I looked through the stack and not one was perfect but some were “close enough”. I’ve seen a few that were just too far off to chop and do the work on.

Great cues,

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They made thousands of titlist house cues and I would think getting all the points even was not a top priority.
Anyone know about how many were made?
100's of thousands maybe?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have a super old Tad made from a titlest. Points are pretty close on that one.

I remember a friend had about 40 of them in one piece still in the 80’s. Idk how many he has left, probably a few. He didn’t do many conversions. I looked through the stack and not one was perfect but some were “close enough”. I’ve seen a few that were just too far off to chop and do the work on.

Great cues,
Any (almost) Titlist conversion is good enough for me. :) All that matters is if I like it, I generally don't buy things to resell.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They made thousands of titlist house cues and I would think getting all the points even was not a top priority.
Anyone know about how many were made?
100's of thousands maybe?
I read somewhere at their peak B'wick's cue factory was making something like 400,000 cues/yr. with enough wood being dried to make 600,000 more. Wow.