To glove or not to glove?

WhatRobEats

Not as good as he thinks
Silver Member
From my point of view people that wear gloves look like idiots unless they are on the pro tour or something. If some random Joe pulls one out at a bar I usually start laughing then I try to go fishing.

I would probably try one out in the privacy of my own home. I've never actually used one.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The glove will give the most consistent low friction stroke. Provided you keep it clean. I would recomend having 2 so you always have one clean. The glove will absorb all the moisture from your hand and then the chalk from the shaft and table. If I am playing on dirty tables I will wash mine daily. I also wash my shaft daily.;)

Since I do shoot with either hand my pool cue wears the glove. For an open bridge I leave it where it is pictured, when I use a closed bridge I just wrap my hand around it and slide it down to stay between my thumb and forefinger.
Cue_gloves_zpsf3e62c11.jpeg

Mine are made of silk. Actually from silk ties I got at the thrift store for $.50. @ Silk is the slickest mateial I have found for a glove.

That's some AAA level genius right there. I expect you on next season's Shark Tank.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Mobile Alabama in the dead of Summer.... I broke a rack and peeled the skin off my thumb on my bridge hand it was so blame sticky... I walked over to the pro shop area and bought a glove... I now carry finger slides in my case at all times... 90% of the time I don't need em but when it gets humid I am glad they are there.....

Just an FYI they had an event in Aruba awhile back... Shane has been wearing a glove ever since....

Chris

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From my point of view people that wear gloves look like idiots unless they are on the pro tour or something. If some random Joe pulls one out at a bar I usually start laughing then I try to go fishing.

I would probably try one out in the privacy of my own home. I've never actually used one.

Should we non pros also stick to sub $200 pool cues? I mean, what's the point if we're not on the pro tour, right?

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I cannot imagine how much more consistent SVB would be if he just took off that darn glove :wink:!!!

Maniac

Lmao:D
Wearing nonstop glove since 1987
Cannot imagine anymore to play without.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned playing pool with a glove. I tried few times to play without, but I can't concentrate when my hand is sweat and baby power don't work and it is messy.
Glove give me the same feel every time. Now I use close bridge on 95% of my shots, and without glove i couldn't play.
My actual glove is a tuned Predator, my next glove will be a "custom made" :)

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Some places don't allow or have talcum powder because of the mess, so a glove is more acceptable. To me gloves and chalk are disposable items, eventually they wear out or you end up losing or leaving it behind.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Gloves are basically a solution to a problem.
If you don't have the problem, then you don't need one.
But if you do, they're a godsend.

I wore one for years, I got a lot of chafing on my bridge hand. I just had a weird insight...
I think that's why I use open bridge so much, and my closed bridge is fairly loose and sucky.

After a while I just didn't need it any more.
Part of it is... when you get a cheap cue, it has a shiny sticky finish,
not unlike the Clear-Coat on a car. But later when you get a nicer cue
(or in my case an LD shaft) it's just smooth, finished wood.

I also sweat less while playing. Maybe as you improve, you simply are less nervous
and indecisive about shots, and literally 'stop sweating it so much'.

I would not hesitate to recommend a glove to anyone, even though I no longer use one.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
FingerSlides are a great product

Mobile Alabama in the dead of Summer.... I broke a rack and peeled the skin off my thumb on my bridge hand it was so blame sticky... I walked over to the pro shop area and bought a glove... I now carry finger slides in my case at all times... 90% of the time I don't need em but when it gets humid I am glad they are there.....

Just an FYI they had an event in Aruba awhile back... Shane has been wearing a glove ever since....

Chris

Yup, +1 on Nancy Cote's FingerSlides product here. I keep them in my case, and don't hesitate to use them if I find my hyperhidrosis is acting up, or if it's particularly humid in the place I'm playing at. (That's usually summer time, btw; I almost never have a problem with this in the dry winter.)

Although I prefer skin contact with the table surface and the cue shaft surface (on the days it's not sticky or humid), the FingerSlides are a nice compromise that give the benefits of a glove, but with unrestricted skin contact with the table surface. And, Nancy will customize them for you, if you prefer more or less coverage (including fully encapsulating the fingers, if you prefer that).

-Sean

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Although I prefer skin contact with the table surface
-Sean

Yes, you want your bridge fingers making contact with the cloth instead of wearing a glove and your bridge fingers making contact with........cloth :confused:!!!

Just funnin' with you Sean :thumbup:.

I still carry a couple of gloves in my pants pocket when I head down to the poolhall, but I won't put one on until I absolutely need it.

That said, I have no problem with the billiard glove and have never understood why many posters on here do. If it's good enough for SVB, Earl, Mike Davis, John Schmidt........hell this list could go on and on, why would all these (keyboard) pool experts have such a problem with them???

Maniac

twal

"W"
Silver Member
Like another post here, I started to wear a glove after I blistered my hand up on a break.
Best decision I have ever made.
I never knew how much my sweaty hands were forcing me to make adjustments.

Like most anything you should give it about 6 weeks before deciding if it is for you or not.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, you want your bridge fingers making contact with the cloth instead of wearing a glove and your bridge fingers making contact with........cloth :confused:!!!

Just funnin' with you Sean :thumbup:.

You only use your ring and pinkie fingers to contact the cloth -- no middle finger or the palm? (The latter two of which are normally completely covered by a traditional glove.) That must be the shakiest bridge in the world -- more wobbly than the Tacoma-Narrows bridge was. ;) :p

I still carry a couple of gloves in my pants pocket when I head down to the poolhall, but I won't put one on until I absolutely need it.

That said, I have no problem with the billiard glove and have never understood why many posters on here do. If it's good enough for SVB, Earl, Mike Davis, John Schmidt........hell this list could go on and on, why would all these (keyboard) pool experts have such a problem with them???

Maniac

I know, the "her Jane, me Tarzan" horse-blinder outlook prevails. I never quite got the discrimination thing either. Then again, some dude wearing a pink glove with leopard spots might get a upturned-eyebrow "huh?" look from me. :)

-Sean

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Color

You can buy it in beige instead of black so its much less noticeable, if that is what bothers anyone..

allanpsand

Author & PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
I use a glove - all the time

I've been using a glove the last 7 years. Before that, I considered them to be effeminate ("too girlish" for those in New York City).

The slightest shaft discrepancy or drag tends to interfere with my focus.

With the glove, there are fewer potential distractions while playing.

Last edited: