Tobby Sweet

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lived in Opalaka for a mth and played a few times in Congress, who was the guy who had BuG Eyes. I remember him wearing bright green pants and dress shirts. He was a better player than I at the time (I didn't know that), but I caromed the 9 ball in a half dozen times in an hour and he quit, luckily. He must of thought I was toying with em since I won sooooooooo many short racks, this guy was kinda creepy, as a twenty yr old who had never even seen a 6X12 or even knew there was such a table. I was amazed at the size of the rakes, they had em I think leaning up against the walls nearly touching the ceiling.
Al Mooney from Philadelphia. Some people called him "Mouse" He played a lot better then he looked but always needed money so he kind of locked it up most of the time.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While Toby's in NY,ask him what he thought of Port Chester Mickey's game and if they ever matched up and what was the outcome? Rgds Rocky P.S. Tell Toby,Rocky said Hi!!!!!

I once staked Port Chester Mickey's based on his rep and he blew through like $1000.00 in no time. I don't think I got dumped he just couldn't play it seemed. I think he had been in jail for a time or something and was a little rusty.

Last edited:

Jack Justis

CASEMAKER
Silver Member
A Tobby experiance:I never saw a wrinkled shirt Tobby wouldn't wear shooting pool.

I bet he still wears his BB pants. Remember the Tuesday nite tournaments at Hustlers in Margate? Top players from all over would show up to play this tournament. Also, a lot of characters and drifters would hang out at Hustlers.

I wonder if Mike "The Russian" Domino ever got his sponsorship from Becks Beer. What a character he was. He would be sitting at the bar and anyone that came in would be asked if they would sponsor him by buying a beer. He would only drink Becks. Mike came in town driving a rusted out 1977 Caddy with a leaking trunk of Balabushkas wrapped in black garbage bags. I ended up buying one for $600 and thought he was robbing me at the time. Wish I had bought all of them. He was one of the funniest guys I ever knew. I kept in touch with him after he went back to Jersey and called him one night asking what he had been doing, he told me he had just taken a job as a bank teller. Of course he was joking as usual.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Noone came to Florida looking to play Toby. Well unless they were crazy. He could dab it, fo sho. I was down there in the early 90s, and he was the guy to fear.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Al Mooney from Philadelphia. Some people called him "Mouse" He played a lot better then he looked but always needed money so he kind of locked it up most of the time.

Thanks mac, he did look allot like peter laurie, with his BUG eyes, woulda be hard to sneak around back then unless he wore :cool: glasses. You description feels very accurate.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little Toby factoid you can savor. Toby Sweet was the last man to SPOT Buddy Hall, giving him the eight ball in Johnston City in the late 60's. Sorry don't remember the exact year.

That's stronger than horse Pee with the foam farted off!!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
That's stronger than horse Pee with the foam farted off!!

He was still Rags at that time, boy the outfits he used to wear back in the 60's were almost James Brown look alikes. Toby picked his spots pretty well, tho I don't know that he ever went looking from em at trueloves (Oklahoma City?) yrs later, who would of (Louie Roberts on the mixture woulda)he still didn't like it.

theeviltwin69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While Toby's in NY,ask him what he thought of Port Chester Mickey's game and if they ever matched up and what was the outcome? Rgds Rocky P.S. Tell Toby,Rocky said Hi!!!!!

I asked him about Port Chester,said he never got too play him.But he did see his game,and Toby said Port Chester played real nice!

He also asked which Rocky are you?He knows about 4 Rockys.

caponesinc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tall Bill

Hey Bill,Good to hear from you,How are you doing?I started this thread to give Toby his Due as a Top Money Player!He was to pool what Roberto (Hand's of Stone)Duran was to Boxing,Toby(Heart of Stone)Sweet!It's nice to know I'm not the the only one who feel this way.Keep the story's coming. Rgds Rocky

islandracer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty cool to read this thread. I hung out in a room in Miami in mid to late 90's and he was always in the thursday night handicapped tournies. I watched him play many times, sat down at the bar with him and his then gf. I knew he played strong but had no clue how strong until reading this thread. He always dressed in converse all stars and bell bottoms. Wish I had taken advantage of really watching him play.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell Toby,Rocky McElroy from Capone's in Spring Hill,Fl originally from Newburgh,NY.

-Great room Rocky-excellent food too- I made the 4hr + trip from West Palm many times-not to mention flying there from NY for tournament at least 4-5 times also.

caponesinc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Toby vs Earl

Just that I have not heard of Earl gambling in the last 15 yrs,if so who backed him? Where and when?