Today's pro level versus the pros of 1986

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a player from the eighties could play today he would quickly realize he had to put time into the break and into using jump cues.

Hu

You sure that player wouldn't complain about jump cues and simonis and cry for pushout rules?

:deadhorse::banghead::duck:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good Point!

You sure that player wouldn't complain about jump cues and simonis and cry for pushout rules?

:deadhorse::banghead::duck:

Good point! Few if any of the top players we have been talking about would. Some of those deeper in the field would scream like wounded virgins! I remember when there was a huge commotion over the color of cloth and being required to use house chalk to match the cloth, a rule some ignored.

I have played on most colors of cloth. God meant for pool to be played on green cloth and he is tolerant of blue. I distrust the tan colors but they play OK too. Red or black cloth is at least a venal sin. Funny about the howls when everyone had to play on it though.

When I was very young I was sometimes unable to resist stirring the pot when people were already upset about conditions. Throw in a couple good rumors and the place would be alight!

Hu

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mad bro? Lol

I can't say whether or not he was mad but, I do have a feeling he is clueless when it comes to knowing what it takes to ....as he said.....make 626 balls for Chit-n-giggles.

I have a feeling he's never busted 100....or even 50 in 14.1 free play....but, like some others that don't stop him from "talking a good game"....

I may be wrong but, until I see a vid of him beating another player ....hell....or even the ghost......or.....lol....a vid of him just making balls in 14.1 for Chit-n-giggles....I will.hold to my assumption.

I doubt very seriously we will be proven wrong unless we just "talk" about pool...at that point, lol....he may be a champ.

Jeff

][cee

Registered
Age Appropriate

It seems that the average age of the top players has fallen. Before it was a rare few like Greenleaf.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
"smarts"

It seems that the average age of the top players has fallen. Before it was a rare few like Greenleaf.

"Smarts" used to come with age. Physical skills might be better after a few decades but the big deal is that a player knew a lot more. Today, that "old man's knowledge" is something that can be purchased by book, video, or instruction. When we see a young person's body paired with an old person's knowledge then we see monster play.

I was at a decent sized tournament. Some young strangers had entered. I had an idea who they were but I didn't see that it mattered or was my business. These young men played an old man's game. They left out with about ten thousand dollars more than they came with.

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
While comparing players from different eras can be a bit subjective, I thought it was interesting comparing the Accu Stats numbers from 1986 vs today. While it's not a huge gap, there is a notable difference in overall scores. If I had to guess, I would say today's top players are winning tournaments at a rating .050 higher than the guys from years ago?

http://sfbilliards.com/accustats/V2_N04.pdf (courtesy of Bob Jewett)

Eric
If anyone wants a larger sample of TPAs, here is a page with all 20+ of the Accu-Stats newsletters:

http://sfbilliards.com/accustats/

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone wants a larger sample of TPAs, here is a page with all 20+ of the Accu-Stats newsletters:

http://sfbilliards.com/accustats/

wow, what an *amazing* resource!
I really had no idea that accu-stats ("stats"..I should have known)
was doing it like that
so cool to pore over this stuff
I'm sure I'm late to the party
and I can't help but wonder why
matches today don't keep close to what stats
accu was doing
so cool tho..
bob :bow-down:

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing everyone seems to have missed once you talk about the better players: It is totally unfair to expect the players of yesteryear to compete on modern equipment - only. If there were such a possibility to do a time tunnel etc. you would have to let both groups play on both types of equipment - long sets and then also the popular games from then and now. This would be a fair comparison of skills.

Something like Straight Pool, 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball, 1P and 3 Cushion or even balkline varieties on equipment of the era. The games from both eras on both types of equipment but with the appropriate rule sets.

In that case I would not bet a lot of money on either group of 10 best players of each era.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Apples to oranges. Speaking as somebody who sometimes kept the stats for Pat Fleming in the late 1980's, Accu-stats were computed very differently back then and there were more deductions based on defense and kicking success or failure. Accu-stats were simplified in the 1990's and now primarily represent one's level of offensive efficiency.

No doubt, today's players shoot straighter than those of 1986. Still, the ten straightest shooters back then (for the sake of argument, Mike Sigel, Nick Varner, Earl Strickland, Buddy Hall, Efren Reyes, Jose Parica, Jim Rempe, Steve Mizerak, Allen Hopkins and Ray Martin) shot about as straight as today's top ten, but todays top fifty as a group are far better than the top fifty back then. The standard has risen quite a bit as there are far more good players.

Accu-stats won't tell the story in full, but the eye test confirms that the pros as a group are far more skilled than their counterparts of 1986. I think to say they shoot 50 Accu-stats points higher is misleading.

Pat Fleming approached me at Derby City to clarify this. Pat had given permission for the men's pro tour to use his methodology, but they made some modifications to it, and it is the modified version to which I have referred. Pat explained that the unmodified version of Accu-stats TPA calculations in those years is the same as that used today.

The confusion for me stemmed from the fact that it was Pat himself who taught me how to keep the stats using the modified methodology. My assumption that this was how Accu-stats were computed back then was in error, so I'll offer an apology to Pat, my friend of many years to whom I've done an injustice, even though he took it all in stride, understanding the source of my confusion.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Pat Fleming approached me at Derby City to clarify this. Pat had given permission for the men's pro tour to use his methodology, but they made some modifications to it, and it is the modified version to which I have referred. Pat explained that the unmodified version of Accu-stats TPA calculations in those years is the same as that used today.

The confusion for me stemmed from the fact that it was Pat himself who taught me how to keep the stats using the modified methodology. My assumption that this was how Accu-stats were computed back then was in error, so I'll offer an apology to Pat, my friend of many years to whom I've done an injustice, even though he took it all in stride, understanding the source of my confusion.

So, the TPA numbers posted in the article are highly relevant to today's top player scores? Interesting, because the performance numbers can give a more objective comparison between eras.

Eric

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
So, the TPA numbers posted in the article are highly relevant to today's top player scores? Interesting, because the performance numbers can give a more objective comparison between eras.

Eric

I think so.