Tony Annigoni suicide

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
TonyMemorial.gif

Its all about perspective.
They live in the horizon that cant be seen anymore.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here they are. I had to convert them from old .mov clips to still frame .jpg files, for easy posting here. I hope thats ok for all. Thanks for sharing Bill

View attachment 595416

View attachment 595418
Makes me sad to see these pics somehow. I lost a good friend here. It seems like I really lost him over ten years ago when we lost contact. He had just come back into my life early this year. I was looking forward to seeing him again. For me, Tony was just fun to be around. Never at a loss for words and usually funny as hell. We could spend hours together and it seemed like only minutes had gone by. You don't meet many people like that in your life.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We're all going to die some day, but we don't have to speed it up.

FYI, The fall from the Golden Gate is about 245 feet and takes four seconds. A jumper reaches approx. 80 mph before impact with the water. About one in sixty six (1.5%) jumpers survive, most of them being younger and more fit. Hitting the water feet first helps in surviving the jump. After that it's all luck why someone survives when almost all others don't.

Scotty Townsend jumped off a railroad bridge in Louisiana that was 110 feet high on a $100 bet. He was wearing cowboy boots and went in feet first. He swam to shore, with his boots split open up both sides. He offered to do it again with no takers.
It’s like jumping off an overpass on to the Interstate.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Tony was living in Manteca he had a 5 X 10 anniversary that had a white line worn in the cloth at the center from the head rail to the foot rail from hours of a practice drill to stroke straight.
The first time I saw Tony play, I was kind of shocked. I thought the way his brain worked would be reflected in his game --- brilliant, but kind of all over the place. I couldn't have been more wrong. He had one of the most conservative styles of play that I'd ever seen --- very tight, strong fundamentals with no extraneous movements --- great for snooker, which he also played really well.

He told me that he took a lot of lessons from "Bucktooth" who is featured in the McCumber book. Also a colorful character. He said that he had recently spoken to him after some time.

BanksRopen777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The biggest problem in life today is that when people admit they are having issues very few people stuck beside them through the dark days!!! Speaking from first hand experience in this billiards community. I gave gave gave until I couldn’t give anymore and got sick! I admitted to having issues upstairs and those people that said “ I will always be your friend and have your back just text or call” most ran away, some changed numbers and others filed police reports against you!!! It’s not safe these days to tell people your suffering!! If everyone was kind to thee neighbor we wouldn’t be in this position we are in today! We have to find love for everyone of difference to have a chance at the future!!! I am so sorry this happened to this man! I didn’t know him but my condolences I wish I could have helped some how!!!!!!!!

slider12

Registered
One never knows what goes on in the lives of others. It is quite sad to read when this happens to one of our own.

I read that his father committed suicide when Tony was 10. Here's a snippet of the article:

The game played a huge role in the former professional pool player’s childhood and adult life.

After his father committed suicide in his own house when Annigoni was only 10, he looked for other places to spend his time. He found a good place in a pool hall near his home in San Francisco.

He worked there cleaning the pool room and in exchange got some free pool time. Once he started playing pool, his school grades plummeted. But his career skyrocketed.

Annigoni doesn’t fit the bill of a pool player, characters notorious for their drug and alcohol use. And though he’s known to gamble, he said he gambles smart and doesn’t just lay his money down for anything.

Annigoni’s approach to the game fascinated author and current Hearst Washington Bureau Chief David McCumber. Annigoni intrigued him so much, McCumber followed him around as his stakehorse, or financial backer, and wrote the book, “Playing Off the Rail: A Pool Hustler’s Journey,” on his experiences.

“He was funny, articulate, much different from the stereotypical pool player,” McCumber said. “He’d reference Cartesian theory, talk about angles. He’s an interesting character.”

Source: Railbird Project Brings Pool to Next Generation
Pictures are of Tony playing at the two cushion club Fairfield California on his anniversary 5 x 10

slider12

Registered
One never knows what goes on in the lives of others. It is quite sad to read when this happens to one of our own.

I read that his father committed suicide when Tony was 10. Here's a snippet of the article:

The game played a huge role in the former professional pool player’s childhood and adult life.

After his father committed suicide in his own house when Annigoni was only 10, he looked for other places to spend his time. He found a good place in a pool hall near his home in San Francisco.

He worked there cleaning the pool room and in exchange got some free pool time. Once he started playing pool, his school grades plummeted. But his career skyrocketed.

Annigoni doesn’t fit the bill of a pool player, characters notorious for their drug and alcohol use. And though he’s known to gamble, he said he gambles smart and doesn’t just lay his money down for anything.

Annigoni’s approach to the game fascinated author and current Hearst Washington Bureau Chief David McCumber. Annigoni intrigued him so much, McCumber followed him around as his stakehorse, or financial backer, and wrote the book, “Playing Off the Rail: A Pool Hustler’s Journey,” on his experiences.

“He was funny, articulate, much different from the stereotypical pool player,” McCumber said. “He’d reference Cartesian theory, talk about angles. He’s an interesting character.”

Source: Railbird Project Brings Pool to Next Generation
We're all going to die some day, but we don't have to speed it up.

FYI, The fall from the Golden Gate is about 245 feet and takes four seconds. A jumper reaches approx. 80 mph before impact with the water. About one in sixty six (1.5%) jumpers survive, most of them being younger and more fit. Hitting the water feet first helps in surviving the jump. After that it's all luck why someone survives when almost all others don't.

Scotty Townsend jumped off a railroad bridge in Louisiana that was 110 feet high on a $100 bet. He was wearing cowboy boots and went in feet first. He swam to shore, with his boots split open up both sides. He offered to do it again with no takers.
Jay about Tony not sure if you heard but he had a stroke that really changed him about five years ago