Tony Vs Dennis Chit Chat Thread

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One pocket has to go more aggressive to get to the next level and I think Tony demonstrated some shots that ARE the next level because he executed them consistent enough.

But obviously the next level means more skill but what used to be considered difficult back in the day is now executed at a high level now......like kicking for instance.

The next level will be when you got no choice or else you can't win, so I imagine these risky shots won't be so crazy if pool evolves.

No way has pool reached its peak potential yet.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a lot of the SVB vs. Tony matches at California Billiards Club. Some in person and some on the stream. Tony wasn't in the same form he was in against Dennis. He was playing looser. SVB was playing loose too. It was just a different kind of match. I got the feeling that both players were trying to get in stroke offensively and not moving as much. From what I saw, if SVB played the way he played against Tony he wouldn't have come close to beating either Tony or Dennis. If Tony played the way he played against SVB against Dennis he wouldn't have won.

As I said before though, I think SVB will be a force in one pocket and talked about with those players soon. Within the next year or two.

Everything is, of course IMO.

Thanks for sharing that...we never woulda know that over here.

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old Grady Matthews DVD where he says he likes the new (not so new these days) aggressive style of one pocket that the younger guys play. He said he liked that style of play because the only way to beat that style is to play the same way, only better.

Yeah pretty simple logic. You can counter strategy but not skill unless you develop more skill.

One day, someone will come around who doesn't miss and one day someone will come along and kick balls in at a uncanny rate etc etc.

That's if skill develops and usually it does when that someone comes along.

Look at modern day top ten golfers on down, maybe not as interesting or dynamic as Tiger ultimately was, but tiger is responsible for the bar being raised.

This jayson shaw fellow seems to have something figured out but I don't think he's the guy but he's proof that there is a lot more room for advancement.

Ehhhh but I don't know if I'm comfortable with that statement but I guess it's a lame attempt at a legit point.

I think shane van boening is a serious case of a dynamic next level stroke but there's guys from the past like willie hoppe and so forth who may still have shane beat. So it's probably not too debatable that pool has regressed further than where it should be and that's a shame.

I have faith a clear FREAK of ability will come but who knows when. Just my opinion.

Right now from what little I saw, Tony is the most impressive player I've seen in a while but that doesn't mean I think he's the best overall out there but he may in fact be the best overall too or certainly has the ability to.

He's got more dimension in his game than most from what I have observed.

Splitting hairs though.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, we are witnessing an evolution...Efren showed us aggressive cb/ ob control, frost made it more offense, current guys are ball running freaks. I got no awareness of people prior to Efren. Only folklore.

It is badass.
I bet on Tony but got 4 on the wire. Dennis did dog it bad first day which cost him. I think he was too confident whereas Tony very consistent throughout.

Whats fascinating to me is both guys touted very aggressive but everyone saying best 1p players in the world along with Alex. Well SVB also took Tony very close and is also very aggressive. Is one pocket the same game now with aggressive the way to go or has the game developed with players ability that it is now a more offensive game?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see Tony Play Dennis again

I lost betting on Dennis and I am not convinced that he can't win

I think the game would be more enjoyable with a shot clock

It was fun,these streams make it possible for
some of us to see games that only
a very few get to see in person

Keep up the good work fellas

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, we are witnessing an evolution...Efren showed us aggressive cb/ ob control, frost made it more offense, current guys are ball running freaks. I got no awareness of people prior to Efren. Only folklore.

It is badass.

Efren is always brought up but keep in mind that Parica was a top one pocket player of his era.

Parica was also a top money player of his era.