Tony Vs Dennis Chit Chat Thread

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never saw such a persistent display from him.

It was ugly ... Lou was not talking pool in any way - he would attack Jay personally every time that Jay made a post.

I think Jay showed a lot of class not dropping to Lou's level, but make no mistake about it Lou was way, way out of bounds.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
agreed

It was ugly ... Lou was not talking pool in any way - he would attack Jay personally every time that Jay made a post.

I think Jay showed a lot of class not dropping to Lou's level, but make no mistake about it Lou was way, way out of bounds.

I was also surprised at the persistent attacks; I had no idea of the dislike between the 2 guys. Maybe this goes back a ways. I have a lot of respect for Jay; his books are always a fun read for me. I also value his opinion on most pool related subjects.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was also surprised at the persistent attacks; I had no idea of the dislike between the 2 guys. Maybe this goes back a ways. I have a lot of respect for Jay; his books are always a fun read for me. I also value his opinion on most pool related subjects.

I don't know where his animosity came from. I never disliked the guy until he started going after me every time I posted on any thread. It became very personal and it did get old after awhile. Something psychological there, but I don't want to play shrink. :confused:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know where his animosity came from. I never disliked the guy until he started going after me every time I posted on any thread. It became very personal and it did get old after awhile. Something psychological there, but I don't want to play shrink. :confused:

I would have loved to see him commentating and predicting TC's shots before hand , I highly doubt he could a better job ,, we all know how connected you are with Dennis and Alex also ,, I remember yrs back you posted a pic of Alex Dennis and Manny Chue at your house and thinking how cool that was to be that must be to be that connected ,
The haters are going to hate the other vast majority find it cool ,,

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I would have loved to see him commentating and predicting TC's shots before hand , I highly doubt he could a better job ,, we all know how connected you are with Dennis and Alex also ,, I remember yrs back you posted a pic of Alex Dennis and Manny Chue at your house and thinking how cool that was to be that must be to be that connected ,
The haters are going to hate the other vast majority find it cool ,,

I'd love to see him post uo 10k and play Jay. Lol
Jason

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've checked youtube and POV pool site. I missed the last 6-7 games of the stream.

Is there anywhere to watch...link?

Also, I wonder if this match will be made downloadable for a fee?

The best 1p I've ever watched. The shots were mesmerizing and jaw dropping. A rematch would be awesome.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Hey, I need to get by John Barton first. :wink:

That ship sailed, he's been studying CD's of the match in order to replicate T's style of play with the objective of giving the world 9 to 7, in addition, and more importantly, he's also getting hands on lessons on how to smooth and lengthen his stroke from none other than the champ

can you dig it....in depth knowledge of cte in conjunction with that monster stroke

(this may be fake news)

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The haters are going to hate the other vast majority find it cool ,, 1
Just because a viewer has opinions that a person's commentary is of an inferior and sometimes mediocre nature, it does not necessarily mean that the viewer "hates" the commentator personally.
To me, It would seem to be absurd to personally "hate" some pool match commentator on the web who will probably never be met in person in the first place.
Just my thoughts on the "hate" thing.
Keep on truckin'
:thumbup:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Lou,

I am weary of the negativity that follows you around.

Is it everyone else...or is it you?

Upon your return, I'll evaluate as to whether or not it needs to be a much longer break.

Let's not forget Jay is a superstar poster here on AZ. Nobody here has more knowledge of the modern game, both professional and back room . It would be a shame to have him leave the boards because of unwarranted criticism.

By the way, Jay's knowledge shouldn't be questioned. He accurately predicted a very close match and knew Tony would give Dennis a game. coming from somebody else, that would be a laughable prediction at the time since nobody on AZ was side betting on Tony without a huge spot. Jay was right on. I've hung around with Jay enough to know he's a straight shooter, on and off the table.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Let's not forget Jay is a superstar poster here on AZ. Nobody here has more knowledge of the modern game, both professional and back room . It would be a shame to have him leave the boards because of unwarranted criticism.

By the way, Jay's knowledge shouldn't be questioned. He accurately predicted a very close match and knew Tony would give Dennis a game. coming from somebody else, that would be a laughable prediction at the time since nobody on AZ was side betting on Tony without a huge spot. Jay was right on. I've hung around with Jay enough to know he's a straight shooter, on and off the table.

Actually, Jay should be honored to join an elite group.
Lou hounded Freddy the Beard on more than one forum....
...and he would've got on Danny D's case a lot more if Danny would only go online.
Wayne from House of Billiards is not on Lou's Christmas list either.

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet on Tony but got 4 on the wire. Dennis did dog it bad first day which cost him. I think he was too confident whereas Tony very consistent throughout.

Whats fascinating to me is both guys touted very aggressive but everyone saying best 1p players in the world along with Alex. Well SVB also took Tony very close and is also very aggressive. Is one pocket the same game now with aggressive the way to go or has the game developed with players ability that it is now a more offensive game?

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet on Tony but got 4 on the wire. Dennis did dog it bad first day which cost him. I think he was too confident whereas Tony very consistent throughout.

Whats fascinating to me is both guys touted very aggressive but everyone saying best 1p players in the world along with Alex. Well SVB also took Tony very close and is also very aggressive. Is one pocket the same game now with aggressive the way to go or has the game developed with players ability that it is now a more offensive game?

I watched a lot of the SVB vs. Tony matches at California Billiards Club. Some in person and some on the stream. Tony wasn't in the same form he was in against Dennis. He was playing looser. SVB was playing loose too. It was just a different kind of match. I got the feeling that both players were trying to get in stroke offensively and not moving as much. From what I saw, if SVB played the way he played against Tony he wouldn't have come close to beating either Tony or Dennis. If Tony played the way he played against SVB against Dennis he wouldn't have won.

As I said before though, I think SVB will be a force in one pocket and talked about with those players soon. Within the next year or two.

Everything is, of course IMO.