Tournaments while wearing masks

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Ooooh, you probably went to college, and you probably turn off your TV and read books, don't ya? We don't need to be lectured by you liberal elites who believe in science. Get off your high horse and start reading the National Enquirer *magazine*, where the articles are short so that you don't have to pay attention, and where you will discover that your exalted scientists don't even believe in the Loch Ness sea monster--despite many pictures showing that it does exist. How do you explain that?

I'm not ever wearing a mask. I don't care if I get a job as an ebola researcher. I'm not wearing one of those space suits. If it's my time to die, then God will take me. A mask won't change that. You can bet on that buddy. Freedom isn't free. Storm the Capitol, burn the books--if you don't fight, you won't have a country. You think some TD can make me wear I mask while I compete? NRA forever! Oh, they went bankrupt? What happened??!

None of that is an argument.

Jeff Livingston

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ooooh, you probably went to college, and you probably turn off your TV and read books, don't ya? We don't need to be lectured by you liberal elites who believe in science. Get off your high horse and start reading the National Enquirer *magazine*, where the articles are short so you don't have to pay attention, and where you will discover that your exalted scientists don't even believe in the Loch Ness sea monster--despite many pictures showing that it does exist. How do you explain that?

I'm not ever wearing a mask. I don't care if I get a job as an ebola researcher. I'm not wearing one of those space suits. If it's my time to die, then God will take me. A mask won't change that. You can bet on that buddy. Freedom isn't free. Burn the books, Stop the Steal, Storm the Capitol--if you don't fight, you won't have a country. You think some TD can make me wear a mask while I compete? NRA forever! Oh, they went bankrupt? What happened??!
I did go to college, thanks for asking!
Tell God I said hi when you see him or her, Nellie too.

JC

Coos Cues
Don't hear much about people getting the flu or even a cold this season.
Could it be the masks?
Do you know anyone who has gotten a winter cold this season, or have you had a cold this season?
Asian country's populations have routinely worn masks in the winter for years.
That might be our new normal after this virus passes.

I see videos of people playing in tournaments with no masks.
I'm going to pass on poolrooms until this virus runs it's course, if it ever does.
I miss poolrooms badly though.
More likely the distancing.

As for playing in a tournament that required masks. It's not so much the mask but the underlying reason for the mask whether misguided or not as to the effectiveness of the mask itself.

My son is headed back for another stint in Jersey this June. Thought he was all done there but they requested him back now that he's Chief.

If and when this situation stabilizes there may be new hope for our match.

JC

Coos Cues
Ooooh, you probably went to college, and you probably turn off your TV and read books, don't ya? We don't need to be lectured by you liberal elites who believe in science. Get off your high horse and start reading the National Enquirer *magazine*, where the articles are short so you don't have to pay attention, and where you will discover that your exalted scientists don't even believe in the Loch Ness sea monster--despite many pictures showing that it does exist. How do you explain that?

I'm not ever wearing a mask. I don't care if I get a job as an ebola researcher. I'm not wearing one of those space suits. If it's my time to die, then God will take me. A mask won't change that. You can bet on that buddy. Freedom isn't free. Burn the books, Stop the Steal, Storm the Capitol--if you don't fight, you won't have a country. You think some TD can make me wear a mask while I compete? NRA forever! Oh, they went bankrupt? What happened??!
They only cite science until it's time to decide a gender.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Think with your head, not with your emotional and irrational fear.

Only about 5% of those tested, test positive for the virus, making the remaining 95% negative. Of those 5% who test positive the vast majority are asymptomatic...many others are false positives...of the small percentage left who have contracted the virus most only experience a mild reaction which require no hospitalizations and are fully recovered in a few days. I'd say our natural immune system is more amazing than entertaining.

Of course, if you're 80 plus years old, are unhealthy, and already have multiple comorbidities, like obesity, diabetes, heart/pulmonary issues, you need to be much more careful than healthy people without those issues.

Personally, I find this to be a serious issue, glad you find it entertaining. If you become better informed, maybe you'll understand the issue better.
The flattery you bestow upon yourself is also entertaining!

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about polio? That was scary.

Vaccines took years to fix those, but again, the world did not shut down.

Jeff Livingston
Says who? You? You have shown no ability to post anything but lies about history, statistics, and anything else really. Why? Because you have an agenda that you insist on foisting on the rest of us.

In the 1950s, the polio virus terrified American families. Parents tried “social distancing”—ineffectively and out of fear. Polio was not part the life they had signed up for. In the otherwise comfortable World War II era, the spread of polio showed that middle-class families could not build worlds entirely in their control.

For the Texas town of San Angelo on the Concho River, halfway between Lubbock and San Antonio, the spring of 1949 brought disease, uncertainty and most of all, fear. A series of deaths and a surge of patients unable to breathe prompted the airlifting of medical equipment with C-47 military transporters.

Children in San Angelo residential areas watch Texas Health employees spray DDT over vacant lots in the city to combat a recent increase in the number of polio cases. All theaters, swimming pools, churches, schools and public meeting places were closed.

Fearful of the spread of the contagious virus, the city closed pools, swimming holes, movie theaters, schools and churches, forcing priests to reach out to their congregations on local radio. Some motorists who had to stop for gas in San Angelo would not fill up their deflated tires, afraid they’d bring home air containing the infectious virus...

writes Gareth Williams, Paralyzed with Fear: The Story of Polio. The scene repeated itself across the nation, especially on the Eastern seaboard and Midwest.
The virus was poliomyelitis, a highly contagious disease with symptoms including common flu-like symptoms such as sore throat, fever, tiredness, headache, a stiff neck and stomach ache. For a few though, polio affected the brain and spinal cord, which could lead meningitis and, for one out of 200, paralysis. For two to 10 of those suffering paralysis, the end result was death.

Transmitted primarily via feces but also through airborne droplets from person to person, polio took six to 20 days to incubate and remained contagious for up to two weeks after. The disease had first emerged in the United Sates in 1894, but the first large epidemic happened in 1916 when public health experts recorded 27,000 cases and 6,000 deaths—roughly a third in New York City alone.

After rabies and smallpox, polio was only the third viral disease scientists had discovered at the time, writes David Oshinksi in Polio: An American Story. But a lot remained unknown. Some blamed Italian immigrants, others pointed to car exhausts, a few believed cats were to blame. But its long incubation period, among other things, made it difficult even for experts to determine how the virus transferred.

Apparently, someone has a different recollection of history than you do. But that's the way things work with you: you post lies, then other people post evidence refuting your lies, then you move on to the next lie, undaunted.

Last edited:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Think with your head, not with your emotional and irrational fear.

Only about 5% of those tested, test positive for the virus, making the remaining 95% negative. Of those 5% who test positive the vast majority are asymptomatic...many others are false positives...of the small percentage left who have contracted the virus most only experience a mild reaction which require no hospitalizations and are fully recovered in a few days. I'd say our natural immune system is more amazing than entertaining.

Of course, if you're 80 plus years old, are unhealthy, and already have multiple comorbidities, like obesity, diabetes, heart/pulmonary issues, you need to be much more careful than healthy people without those issues.

Personally, I find this to be a serious issue, glad you find it entertaining. If you become better informed, maybe you'll understand the issue better.

The flattery you bestow upon yourself is also entertaining!

Personally, I don't care whether, when, where, for how long, or how many masks, you, or anyone else wears.

But what always strikes me as remarkable is the fact that there are certain types of people who, when presented with factual data that conflicts with their positions, beliefs, and wishes, become threatened and offended by those facts resorting to personal attacks rather than focus on and trying to understand the informational data. Especially so when that data should relieve them of their irrational fears and anxiety.

Unfortunately, while I find it remarkable, it's all too common given the constant barrage of panic inducing media coverage based upon powerful political and financial interests and a population all too willing to accept what they are told to accept. Sad to see our citizens so weak and complacent. Carry on.

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Says who? You? You have shown no ability to post anything but lies about history, statistics, and anything else really. Why? Because you have an agenda that you insist on foisting on the rest of us.

Apparently, someone has a different recollection of history than you do. But that's the way things work with you: you post lies, then other people post evidence refuting your lies, then you move on to the next lie, undaunted.

Just point out ONE of those lies you keep talking about.

Should be a piece of cake if I post nothing but lies. You obviously have little clue as to who I am or what I've posted here in the past 17 years.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I'll repeat what 7 stud said was a lie of mine:

"What about polio? That was scary."

Obvious,

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

Btw, none of THAT is an argument, either.

Jeff Livingston

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
If you wear a mask anytime you leave your house you won't get COVID.
Aren't those things just wonderful.
Yes, totally wonderful :unsure: ...especially when the localities, cities, and states, with the most strict mask wearing rules have the most per capita documented cases.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, totally wonderful :unsure: ...especially when the localities, cities, and states, with the most strict mask wearing rules have the most per capita documented cases.
Jimmy, what you seem to be implying, that mask use causes increased Covid cases is total bullshit.
Jeff posted the Dakotas graphic earlier, look into that.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Jimmy, what you seem to be implying, that mask use causes increased Covid cases is total bullshit.
Jeff posted the Dakotas graphic earlier, look into that.
Although it does appear that I am, I'm not suggesting that at all, simply implying that public mask wearing by the general public does not stop, or slow, the spread of this virus.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Although it does appear that I am, I'm not suggesting that at all, simply implying that public mask wearing by the general public does not stop, or slow, the spread of this virus.
Again, look at the Dakota graphic, the state that imposed the various mandates had a much steeper decline in cases.
I would say that masks do slow the spread of the virus.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Again, look at the Dakota graphic, the state that imposed the various mandates had a much steeper decline in cases.
But ND had more cases, too. Both States are going in the right direction. I thought I had linked to the article where I got the graph, but didn't and can't find it now.

mask%20vs%20no%20mask.png

My wife has a masters in public health. She has said it will be 3 years before we know the truth about this past year.

Jeff Livingston

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
The number of "cases" is merely the effect of the number of "tests" given...On a national basis we went from testing 3,000 people a day to over 3M per day...clearly, increased testing results in more "cases", both negative and positive. I have no idea of the testing levels represented in the Dakota chart. At one stage while "cases" were increasing, hospitalizations and deaths were decreasing. When we finally reach full herd immunity even more people will "test" positive. Asymptomatic and mild, flu-like, reactions should not be a concern, hospitalizations and deaths are a more telling indicator.

When the same people get to select both the numbers and the nattarive, they often tell a preselected story.

Last edited:

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
But ND had more cases, too. Both States are going in the right direction. I thought I had linked to the article where I got the graph, but didn't and can't find it now.

mask%20vs%20no%20mask.png

My wife has a masters in public health. She has said it will be 3 years before we know the truth about this past year.

Jeff Livingston
The way I interpreted the graph, supplemented by a bit of googling, was that neither state had any mandates. ND implemented a mandate at what I believe is the peak in your graph. Even with a rather dismal rate of compliance, around 60%, the drop in cases in ND is much steeper than SD’s. What I get from that is that masks and other measures help.
And your wife is right, post pandemic analysis will be informative, and be helpful in guiding us through the next one.