Turning Stone Classic now with WPA points. Finally!!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've always wondered why one of the hardest stops, turning stone classic, on one of the best tours, the Joss Tour, never earned WPA points.

Finally, the WPA is bringing points to US tours other than the US open. A great move and well deserved for Mr. Zuglan.

CONGRATULATIONS

The BCA can choose the events, which are the other two?

http://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/11717-turning-stone-now-carries-wpa-points/
I suppose the US Open 9 Ball would be the first in line. It may be too late for Derby City to be included. I think that there are several requirements including that the event be open to all players and the added money is above some level.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I've always wondered why one of the hardest stops, turning stone classic, on one of the best tours, the Joss Tour, never earned WPA points.

Finally, the WPA is bringing points to US tours other than the US open. A great move and well deserved for Mr. Zuglan.

CONGRATULATIONS

The BCA can choose the events, which are the other two?

http://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/11717-turning-stone-now-carries-wpa-points/

So now all the players get a percentage of their winnings taken by the WPA ---- for what benefit does it give to them? If I was a player that had a chance to cash, I wouldn't be so excited as you are. In fact, I would be upset.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So now all the players get a percentage of their winnings taken by the WPA ---- for what benefit does it give to them? If I was a player that had a chance to cash, I wouldn't be so excited as you are. In fact, I would be upset.[/QUOTE

I would. It's (if it's followed through right) good for the game and therefore for "me" and my kind in the long run in terms of both pool and money. If I were just in it for a quick buck then there are far easier ways to do that than by playing pool.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I checked out Mike Z's website. With about a week to go many big names will not be there. http://www.joss9balltour.com/

No Shane, Dennis Hatch, Earl, Alex P (no surprise), Darren A, Both Mosconi Teams. It's a shame considering it's a big event.

Nick

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I checked out Mike Z's website. With about a week to go many big names will not be there. http://www.joss9balltour.com/

No Shane, Dennis Hatch, Earl, Alex P (no surprise), Darren A, Both Mosconi Teams. It's a shame considering it's a big event.

Nick
I did notice Jeffrey Ignacio's name on the list. Assuming this is the same giant killer of the Philippines, I wonder if this is his first tournament on American soil.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So now all the players get a percentage of their winnings taken by the WPA ---- for what benefit does it give to them? If I was a player that had a chance to cash, I wouldn't be so excited as you are. In fact, I would be upset.

This isn't the same as the promoter paying for the WPA sanctioning as happens with some other events, at least that isn't what is in the press release. Sounds like a new BCA thing, unless someone is now paying a BCA sanctioning :sorry:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do the WPA and BCA, etc.. standings mean anything now? Used to be the top finishers on the PBT got extra cash, and the top players also got a spot on the Mosconi Cup teams which also meant extra pay.

Aside from just having a number in front of your name, any benefits? Is the World championships invitational based on rank?

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turning Stone Classic

Why are some big names not going like Shane Hatch Earl Appleton etc.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I look at it as a good sign for American professional pool becoming a step closer to unifying with the rest of the world. This will lead to great benefits such as higher quality competition entering these tournaments (european/asian players making the trip to earn points). Two results from this will be our American players will get better playing against better competition and as a spectator, more chances to see great matches.

It's a win from all angles.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do the WPA and BCA, etc.. standings mean anything now? Used to be the top finishers on the PBT got extra cash, and the top players also got a spot on the Mosconi Cup teams which also meant extra pay.

Aside from just having a number in front of your name, any benefits? Is the World championships invitational based on rank?

In Europe, the top point earner gets a spot on the mosconi cup team. I'm not sure what other benefits are there, maybe world champion seeding in tournaments?

For American players like Shane and Dechaine, they can earn points now both domestic and abroad. Shane was very close to the points leader last year, I wonder if wpa points for the Derby and the turning stone tournaments would've helped him lock it up?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I look at it as a good sign for American professional pool becoming a step closer to unifying with the rest of the world. This will lead to great benefits such as higher quality competition entering these tournaments (european/asian players making the trip to earn points). Two results from this will be our American players will get better playing against better competition and as a spectator, more chances to see great matches.

It's a win from all angles.

That would sorta make sense IF they did the sanctioning when the tourney was announced and they started to take entries. But the field is now full so now it only benefits the pockets of the WPA.

HighEndCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Europe, the top point earner gets a spot on the mosconi cup team. I'm not sure what other benefits are there, maybe world champion seeding in tournaments?

For American players like Shane and Dechaine, they can earn points now both domestic and abroad. Shane was very close to the points leader last year, I wonder if wpa points for the Derby and the turning stone tournaments would've helped him lock it up?
Points don't mean a thing when picking the Mosconi cup. Just look at a player like Jeremy Sossei who played all the big events and traveled oversea's for last two years. He was one of the top American point leaders and got bumped for players who hardly competed in top events.
There is no such thing as earning a spot with points or dedication.

The roster fills up really fast for this event. It's possible they just missed the window.

Mike Zuglan's Turning Stone events always fill plus a small waiting list. He gives everyone notice to get their money in early. The few big names that are missing surely chose not to sign up. Hatch is in Chicago now I believe. As for SVB and Earl I have no idea why they wouldn't play. They are nearly guaranteed to cash and both have won it before.

If there were a couple more regional promoters as accomplished as Mike pro pool would be much healthier. This is the 23rd event with 25 k added in one of the best venues for pool in the US. It's just 200 bucks to play for a shot at a nice payday. His events always run smoothly.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the players list. One of the weakest fields I've seen so far.
As the field was full prior to the WPA announcement.

(Updated 12/29/14 - Subject to change)

ACCIAVATTI, TOM
ADDESSI, JAMIE
ALVAREZ, RAUL
ANDREWS, MIKE
ANTONAKOS, GREG
ANTONE, TONY
ARCHER, JOHNNY
ARIAS, TRAVIS
AUIGBELLE, SPENCER
BABRAVICH, JOHN
BARRETTA, JENNIFER
BIASIN, BILL
BOEMMELS, BRENT
BOMBARD, GREG
BOWLING, CHAD
BRUCATO, NICK
BRYANT, BRITTANY
CARELLI, MIKE
CASANZIO, RON
CLOUTIER, ERIC
CONNORS, RICH
COPPOLA, NICK
CORR, KAREN
CREAMER, MARK
CROWE, JERRY
CUNNINGHAM, BOB
CUTLER, REDGIE
DAIGLE, MARTIN
D'ALFONSO, TOM
DAVIS, PHIL
DECHAINE, MIKE
DEUEL, COREY
DIMEO, DAVE
DIOGUARDI, JOE
DIXON, DWIGHT
DOIRON, STEPHAN
DROST, HENDRIK
DRYDEN, PAUL
DUPUIS, JOEY
DUTY, ALAN
DUTY, PAUL
EISLAND, MARC
FAWCETT, RANDY
FERNANDEZ, DAVE
FRANCIS, JOHN
GARIBELLO, YESID
GILDEA, TOM
GIURLEO, MIKE
GOKEY, FRED
GRANNIS, RICK
GRAU, DAVE
GREENWOOD, AARON
GRENIER, SYLVAIN
GUIMOND, KEVIN
HAMAD, SAM
HART, ROB
HEIDRICH, DAN
HERRING, EARL
HEWITT, DANNY
HJORLEIFSON, ERIC
HOHMANN, THORSTEN
HOLMES, BRIAN
IGNACIO, JEFFREY
IMMONEN, MIKA
JAMES, JON
JECEN, JED
JONES, ROB
KAM, MARCO
KASPRZAK, KARL
KETZ, KEVIN
KHAM, CHON
KRAH, MATT
LABONTE, RANDY
LIPES, BRIAN
LOMBARDO, HUNTER
MACK, STEVE
MATTA, CLYDE
McANDREWS, GREGG
McGONAGLE, TOM
McKINNEY, TRAVIS
MICHAS, JASON
MILLAR, DON
MILLIGAN, DAN
MILLS, DAVE
MONTGOMERY, GEOFF
MOORE, STEVIE
MORGAN, SEAN
MORRA, JOHN
MORRIS, RODNEY
NGUYEN, DANY
OMARA, BILL
ONEY, WILLIE
PAO, CAROLINE
PARENT, ALAIN
PAYNE, CORY
PENSGEN, PAUL
PETROV, IVAYLO
PHILP, RUSS
PHLEGAR, LARRY
PROSS, CHRISTINE
REESE, JASON
ROCHA, CLEITON
ROCKWELL, JEROME
SAEZ, HECTOR
SAKELL, ROB
SAUR, ED
SHAW, JAYSON
SHLEMPERIS, DAVE
SHUFF, BRANDON
SINICROPI, JOE
SMITH, JONATHAN
SOSSEI, JEREMY
SOUVANTHONG, BUCKY
STASKOWSKI, ROB
STOTLER, STEVE
TAMBA, RANULF
TENNANT, TONY
TIRU, CHRIS
TOOHIG, MIKE
TRUSCOTT, RANDALL
UDISCHAS, JIM
ULRICH, JOSH
VASQUEZ, JUAN
WESCOTT, SHAWN
WHITEHEAD, RANDY
WILKIE, SHAUN
WORDEN, ESBON
YEDNAK, MIKE

Not anything even close to what a WPA event should have

Not anything even close to what a WPA event should have

Maybe you should play? What's your excuse? You could just come up and rob it.

All you guys ever do on this site is knock stuff. This is a open regional tour with many strong players.Typically there are 8 to 15 world class players at Turning Stone. The Europeans don't travel over anymore, makes no economic sense and they have a strong tour. Philipinos haven't come for several years. This event fills every time, always has and always will.

Don't any of you see the whole saving pro pool concept is flawed? You need events for advanced amateurs to keep pool healthy. The masses that play in this tour are what keeps it alive. More events like this, SBE and DCC are what make economic sense. Pool on TV??? Who cares?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you should play? What's your excuse? You could just come up and rob it.

All you guys ever do on this site is knock stuff. This is a open regional tour with many strong players.Typically there are 8 to 15 world class players at Turning Stone. The Europeans don't travel over anymore, makes no economic sense and they have a strong tour. Philipinos haven't come for several years. This event fills every time, always has and always will.

Don't any of you see the whole saving pro pool concept is flawed? You need events for advanced amateurs to keep pool healthy. The masses that play in this tour are what keeps it alive. More events like this, SBE and DCC are what make economic sense. Pool on TV??? Who cares?

Absolutely agree with you. In past turning stones we had niels taking on lee vann corteza, along side jasmine, kelly fisher, souquet, hundal, appleton, and on and on. Ive seen almost every big name at this tournament (except efren and ga young kim).

The way it works with entering as soon as last event was over in september, the field was full by early December before the points announcement today.

Having names like corr, Thorsten, mika, archer, dechaine, shaw, sossei, and duel on one tour stop sounds like a euro tour to me. Even though its not as deep as past turning stones, its still WPA worthy.