Tyler/Billy Thorpe drama

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Fargo 754, relative to other pros is very average. His 10b break is top 3.
Its my guess that Tyler's Fargo is relatively low because he is relatively new to pro tournaments and hasn't played in a lot of them yet, when he gets more games in the system against elite players his Fargo is likely to go up. I seem to remember Woodward's Fargo being relatively low for awhile but as his play against elite players increased so did his Fargo rating.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My example was slightly t

My example was somewhat tongue and cheek. Our young U.S pool stars are worth more money than (fill in the blank). I also don't have a problem with showmanship.

However calling each other cheats lowers mass spectator interest (in my opinion). So sell us the match, talk some smack, but at the end of the day just play the match. No ludicrous rule demands, no calling your oponent a cheat.

Then maybe I will pay to watch and or gamble on their match.
I’d like to see a third party racker...no template....no examining the rack...it’s become fashionable to act like a nit...
...just get up and hit ‘em.

WTD14

Registered
Fargo 754, relative to other pros is very average. His 10b break is top 3.

Fargo doesn't mean jack to me. 818 Chang (arguably the best player in the world) vs 750 Styer (average) in your eyes.

Tyler lost this match, but you don't go Hill-Hill with Chang or beat James Aranas by being an average pro, buddy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210504-192004_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210504-192004_YouTube.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 130

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fargo doesn't mean jack to me. 818 Chang (arguably the best player in the world) vs 750 Styer (average) in your eyes.

Tyler lost this match, but you don't go Hill-Hill with Chang or beat James Aranas by being an average pro, buddy.
Race to 8, alternate break, playing 8 ball doesn’t mean jack. Tyler had a good tournament sure but that format makes it basically a coin flip and mid level pros like Tyler can upset some better players just like any in any short race tournament.
There’s a reason he’s playing guys like Chris Robinson, Jesus, and trying to play Billy. He isn’t ready for the higher level guys in long matches.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Race to 8, alternate break, playing 8 ball doesn’t mean jack. Tyler had a good tournament sure but that format makes it basically a coin flip and mid level pros like Tyler can upset some better players just like any in any short race tournament.
There’s a reason he’s playing guys like Chris Robinson, Jesus, and trying to play Billy. He isn’t ready for the higher level guys in long matches.
Ditto. Tyler is a fine player, and is one of America's best, but he knows better than to match up against the truly elite in a long match. There are about fifty players that he needs to steer very clear of in the eyes of this fan. Billy, based on his 772 Fargo, is currently the 98th best player in the world, and Tyler should have a chance to beat him, even in a long race.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My example was slightly t

My example was somewhat tongue and cheek. Our young U.S pool stars are worth more money than (fill in the blank). I also don't have a problem with showmanship.

However calling each other cheats lowers mass spectator interest (in my opinion). So sell us the match, talk some smack, but at the end of the day just play the match. No ludicrous rule demands, no calling your oponent a cheat.

Then maybe I will pay to watch and or gamble on their match.
I agree with this. It is ok to have some heat, and it's ok for guys not to like each other, but keep it professional and respectful.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I agree with this. It is ok to have some heat, and it's ok for guys not to like each other, but keep it professional and respectful.
Although I have to agree as well. I think the North American game could probably be more successful if they adopted the "pro" wrestling / boxing / MMA of promotion style...lol

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although I have to agree as well. I think the North American game could probably be more successful if they adopted the "pro" wrestling / boxing / MMA of promotion style...lol
For sure...Earl is a natural 'Heel". Billy is working on becoming one.

8intheside

Ditto. Tyler is a fine player, and is one of America's best, but he knows better than to match up against the truly elite in a long match. There are about fifty players that he needs to steer very clear of in the eyes of this fan. Billy, based on his 772 Fargo, is currently the 98th best player in the world, and Tyler should have a chance to beat him, even in a long race.
I would say in a lone race it could go either way. I’d give a slight edge to Tyler

Scrunge19

Registered
For sure...Earl is a natural 'Heel". Billy is working on becoming one.
Except Earl isn't acting. He's one of the all time greats of the game, but that still doesn't hide the fact that the guy is a clown. I wouldn't say that he's exactly a role model for how a professional should conduct themselves, particularly the current/up-and-coming American pros who already need a refresher course on that front.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tyler is definitely slow. Billy would beat him pretty good imo if they did manage to play. I think I’d bet on it, but not watch it.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I kind-of agree with SJM. In 9-ball, Billy has to be the favorite. But Tyler's 10-ball break is so good, I think that a 10-ball match would be much closer.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate Tylers game and he does work really hard. But with that being said he’s definitely my least favorite player to watch. I can totally understand why Billy has no interest in playing some marathon race with him. Billy stays in action doing what he wants and doesn’t need to prove anything. If Tyler wants to play quick tough sets they will play, if not then I’m sure Billy could care less.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

winner break 10 ball race to 100 i like tyler and would give 5 games on the wire

that said they know each others game to well and they both want the nuts to play. so, the match won't happen unless the prize is a % of PPV revenue

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its my guess that Tyler's Fargo is relatively low because he is relatively new to pro tournaments and hasn't played in a lot of them yet, when he gets more games in the system against elite players his Fargo is likely to go up. I seem to remember Woodward's Fargo being relatively low for awhile but as his play against elite players increased so did his Fargo rating.
Player don't go up by playing against stronger competition. They pretty much get to the rating they're performing at regardless of their competition.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Didn't Jesus just beat Tyler in a long race? Please correct me if I'm wrong.