U.S. Open update

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I read correctly?

Barry is PERSONALLY paying the players and NOT Pat Fleming!!!

A lot can happen, done this way!!!

Yes/no???

Kd

The way I read Jay's post was that the monies were going directly to Pat and that Pat would be making the payouts from the bank account that Pat has control of for the tournament monies.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
The way I read Jay's post was that the monies were going directly to Pat and that Pat would be making the payouts from the bank account that Pat has control of for the tournament monies.
A lot of Editting has been going on these days. I am sure I am not crazy!

Its OK to get a little egg on ones face for the greater good from time to time.

Called taking one for the team!

Kd

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I believe the hardest part of this years Open will be to get a full field. They have 4 verified and approved (is this some other words for PAID) now, with about 4 months to go. The way I look at it is, so far 15k in gifts and 4k paid. That's a very negative number there. If I were Barry I'd pay for last years winner only. That gives last years winner a free shot to defend their title. Johnnyt

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Pat is in control of the monies and will be cutting checks at the event as we move into the money rounds... This is a good thing for the players but I don't know how good of a thing for Pat... We were already busy pretty much every minute of every day but what ever it takes Accu-Stats will do their job and Pat will make sure the money is paid out accurately and on a timely basis.....

Barry is adding $75 out of his pocket as was said 16k is to the entries and 59k is on top... If the WPA sees no issue then I don't think there should be one... They will be the ones to determine what level points event this is...

Is anyone else adding that kind of money?? All of the "support" from the fans, players and industry ran Bahdi out of doing another...

Maybe it's time to get behind and support the biggest event on American soil and maybe the problems of the past can fade into the past... Not saying they will but they could if the support was there....... This is the 40th Anniversary so laying down the putchforks and torches and adding some support could be argued as warranted...

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Pat is in control of the monies and will be cutting checks at the event as we move into the money rounds... This is a good thing for the players but I don't know how good of a thing for Pat... We were already busy pretty much every minute of every day but what ever it takes Accu-Stats will do their job and Pat will make sure the money is paid out accurately and on a timely basis.....

Barry is adding $75 out of his pocket as was said 16k is to the entries and 59k is on top... If the WPA sees no issue then I don't think there should be one... They will be the ones to determine what level points event this is...

Is anyone else adding that kind of money?? All of the "support" from the fans, players and industry ran Bahdi out of doing another...

Maybe it's time to get behind and support the biggest event on American soil and maybe the problems of the past can fade into the past... Not saying they will but they could if the support was there....... This is the 40th Anniversary so laying down the putchforks and torches and adding some support could be argued as warranted...

A) You work for Accu-Stats and they NEED the DVD's. No Open No DVD's.
B) Bonus Ball and the players not entering ruined that Texas tournament.
C) I'm tired of people with something to gain coming on here to tell us we're the cause of something not working. Some of us on here have good memories and aren't bad at math. Go pedal your BS somewhere else. Johnnyt

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Whatever you say.

I just hope you don't pull a Roberta and tuck tail when shit hits the fan.

Unlike some, I take full responsibility for my choices. But it's nice of you to remember the hard work that Roberta put into the last Open. She worked her tail off, unlike some who can only sit back and criticize. If the shoe fits, wear it!

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about seating?

Jay,

Barry took a lot of heat last year for changing the seating arrangements after the tourney started. I attended and IMO the seating was awful - really crowded and uncomfortable.

What are your expectations for this year's venue and seating?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The math is fine. This is a $59,000 added tournament though, not $75,000.

Added money is money over and above entry fees. Barry is using what "was" prize pool added money to give 16 players free rolls and that amounts to $16,000 of lost entry fees from the total prize pool.

It is up to Barry to decide to do it that way, but the "$75,000 added" thing is now BS. The 40th US Open in 2015 is now a $59,000 added tournament.

No it is $75,000 added with only 112 paid entries. and 16 more playing for free.
It should never have been brought up that part of the $75,000 was going for those 16 players. There have always been past winners playing for free as far as I know and it should not be considered part of the added money, but just that they are playing for free. It is just Semantics.
There are other tour events that comp top players or sponsors into the tournaments, but there is no money for them in the pot.

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
A) You work for Accu-Stats and they NEED the DVD's. No Open No DVD's.
B) Bonus Ball and the players not entering ruined that Texas tournament.
C) I'm tired of people with something to gain coming on here to tell us we're the cause of something not working. Some of us on here have good memories and aren't bad at math. Go pedal your BS somewhere else. Johnnyt

"Bless your heart"

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Barry has to have $75,000 to Pat by the 25th of July... That is considered the added money... There will be 112 paid entries and that will bring the total prize fund to $187,000....

Usually some of the past champions will not show up for the event even tho they have their entry covered... I will find out what the process will be for filling those slots if the field is full and I will try and find out the list of 16......

SVB -1
Darren -2
Mika -3
Earl -4
Alex -5
Ralf -6
Rodney -7
Schmidy -8
Corey -9
Johnny -10
TK from FLA -11
Efren -12
Nick -13 Didn't play 2014 but says he may be coming
Sigel - Doubtful Didn't play 2014
Hopkins - Doubtful Didn't play 2014
J Jones -14
Gabe - Doubtful Didn't play 2014
Reed - Doubtful Didn't play 2014
Buddy - Doubtful Didn't play 2014
Lebron - Doubtful Didn't play 2014

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
No it is $75,000 added with only 112 paid entries. and 16 more playing for free.
It should never have been brought up that part of the $75,000 was going for those 16 players. There have always been past winners playing for free as far as I know and it should not be considered part of the added money, but just that they are playing for free. It is just Semantics.
There are other tour events that comp top players or sponsors into the tournaments, but there is no money for them in the pot.

This is correct. I was mistaken in my previous post regarding the added money. 75K is due by July 25.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad all of the numbers seem to be working out, Jay. One thing all of us want to be the same though...Barry's speech after the tournament.

None of us wants to miss a speech where the man who should be the most respected person involved in the tournament, is in a drunken stupor and blathers on for 20 minutes, mindlessly talking about the things that amuse him but causes others to consider turning off their TV and missing the awards ceremony afterward.

I mean...after all, that has become a tradition!

don't remind me :angry:

seriously somebody should address this...for example, In 2002 when alex and ralf were playing in the final they were put on a shot clock because the match was on PPV and Barry had taken up too much time prior to the match.
I remember it well I had purchased the PPV
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/new_30over30/7.php

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay,

Barry took a lot of heat last year for changing the seating arrangements after the tourney started. I attended and IMO the seating was awful - really crowded and uncomfortable.

What are your expectations for this year's venue and seating?

From the floor plan I've been shown, the seating arrangements for this year's Open look to be excellent. A lot more room at the Sheraton.
Of course the best laid plans of mice and men...............

rjb1168

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We're thinking about it seriously, especially since this is the 40th anniversary.

I remember reading that the hotel allows pets, which is a bonus for us. We never leave home without Mickey.

It would be a dream come true for Keith to compete in this tournament, much less see all his buddies. He will have the time of his life! :)

This would be awesome for the fans and you guy's. :yes:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
The Renfro;5210249[LIST said:
[/LIST]]"Bless your heart"

Sounds like something that girl that plays the southern snob "Lemon" on "Hart Of Dixie" would say. Johnnyt

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like something that girl that plays the southern snob "Lemon" on "Hart Of Dixie" would say. Johnnyt

In the south "Bless his heart" OFTEN means we are talking about an idiot. "Look at Jim Bob over there with his pants on backwards. Bless his heart"

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This would be awesome for the fans and you guy's. :yes:

Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm hoping we can make it. This venue looks like the nuts ---> Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

Saturday, October 24 to Friday, October 30, 2015. Interesting that they finish up this year on a Friday instead of Saturday.

This Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel looks mighty inviting. :cool:

Attachments

• she171ex.127127_lg.jpg
    she171ex.127127_lg.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play begins Sunday after Players Meeting. Wow!

Players’ Meeting
October 24th at 4pm
Sheraton Norfolk Waterside
777 Waterside Dr.
Norfolk, VA 23510

U.S. Open
Play begins Sunday, October 25th at 10:30am
Sheraton Norfolk Waterside
777 Waterside Dr.
Norfolk, VA 23510

Daily Match Times:
Day Session: 10:30am, 12:30pm, 2:30pm
Night Session: 6:30pm, 8:30pm, 10:30pm
(As usual; Match times are based off size of field)

Rules seem to be standard. Looks like they got all the bases covered regarding the racking ;)

Race to 11
Double Elimination
Finals 1 race to 13
Break Box
3 Balls past Side Pocket
No soft Breaks
Velocity is key to determining a proper break. Players must break the balls with proper speed and it will not be a foul if three balls do not pass the headstring. Players must make an honest attempt to break the balls. A foul will not be called if a player breaks with velocity.
Winner breaks, Rack your own
2 ball behind 9 ball

Reasonable dress code.

Dress Code:
Nice Slacks, Sweater or nice shirt, no T-Shirts, No tennis shoes, Nice comfortable soft shoes permitted. Look your best head to toe.

Ear plugs are acceptable, no headphones, walkmen, I-pods... (ie. nothing sticking out of your ears)

Play starts on Sunday the 25th at 10:30am and there is a players meeting the 24th at 4:00pm.
Final Day
Format for Final 3 matches - Quarter and Semi finals: Race to 11; must win by 2. 12/12 is Hill, Hill. - Finals: Race to 13; must win by 2. 14/14 is Hill, Hill.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
In the south "Bless his heart" means , we are talking about an idiot. "Look at Jim Bob over there with his pants on backwards. Bless his heart"

Thank you, but I do know the silly meaning to it.

I get a kick out these guys that come on here year after year, after year to tell us how great the Open will be this year and believe we don't remember the dozen years it didn't go well at all. Same people leading the charge every year, but less and less of them each year. They think we're all idiots. Johnnyt

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aside from being able to say "I'm ranked #3", are there any tangible benefits to having World ranking points? I honestly have no idea.