Unknown "monster" players

jongreve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our local heros were Mike Waltrip and Bob Smalley, though they are both past their prime as well.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Mike Blevins was a great player that was relatively unknown when he was playing regularly.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Prince said:
Are you all referring to Tommy, as in Whitey's son?

That would be Whitey's son Blackey.... It's just not right that any son of Whitey would have a job! As Whitey once said, "Jobs are for suckers!"....

Saw

asiasdad

Banned
Raecarmia said:
I heard Glenn Atwell, Al Perez, Bobby Zack and Gary Crane are some of the best relatively unknown players in the NW capable of beating just about anyone. I have heard that Al is maybe playing as good as anyone and Gary used to be a fierce roadplayer and Glenn and Bobby are more known around the country, but not sure, just things I've heard. But I also would love to hear more about these and other players adventures.

Al Perez is doing very well at present, and IMO the best unknowns
here in the Portland area are Jay Reed and Randy Smith.

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
crawfish said:
Ricky Gracek from Michigan is another world beater that never "tournamented."
Man could that guy play some good 9 ball. I watched him play a couple of times around Chicago and nobody knew who he was. He took off a couple good scores playing some top quality players on their home courts.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Richard Peck from the NYC area is by far and away one of the most talented men to ever hit the balls. Anybody that has seen him action knows what I am talking about!

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy Sanders name comes to mind. NOt totally unknown but not
very well known for sure.

In todays world many players have no idea who Mark Tadd is/was or
Greg/Craig Stevens.

junior718

Skyline Billiard Club
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Richard Peck from the NYC area is by far and away one of the most talented men to ever hit the balls. Anybody that has seen him action knows what I am talking about!

never heard of the guy.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
junior718 said:
never heard of the guy.

Richard is from Long Island. Jude Rosenstock has posted a few stories about Richard before on this forum - he is great all games - especially one pocket! Tony Robles and I had a great conversation about Richard last year, and we both agree that he is one of the strongest "unknowns" - ever!

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, these are some of the accomplishments I've BEEN WITNESS to regarding Richard Peck:

150 ball run in 14.1 on triple shim table
7 racks of 9-ball on triple shim table
run of 12 points in 3-cushion

AND his best game is 1-pocket

The guy is an all-around monster. Seriously, he's one of those players that makes you realize the "very best" you see on tv today are called the very best because some choose to stay home. He would be a demon at DCC. I can't think of a single player in the Northeast that would be the favorite against him in a medley.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Okay, these are some of the accomplishments I've BEEN WITNESS to regarding Richard Peck:

150 ball run in 14.1 on triple shim table
7 racks of 9-ball on triple shim table
run of 12 points in 3-cushion

AND his best game is 1-pocket

The guy is an all-around monster. Seriously, he's one of those players that makes you realize the "very best" you see on tv today are called the very best because some choose to stay home. He would be a demon at DCC. I can't think of a single player in the Northeast that would be the favorite against him in a medley.

Thanks Jude - and AMEN!

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
Prince said:
Are you all referring to Tommy, as in Whitey's son?

To answer your question directly...yes.

By the way, I spoke with certain people about Mike Brown owing you a little cash. They said it was not uncommon for him to try and duck. Sorry it happened to you.

hilla_hilla

I'd rather be foosing it!
Silver Member
I heard there was a guy that lived in a box in the back parking lot of College Billiards. 5 or so years ago I saw him standing on the off ramp of the 15 freeway asking for change. His nick name was, "Roy the cook" and when I first started playing pool (9 years ago) I would see him play every once in a while and his game was still impressive without practicing.

Billy Graves was also another phenomenal player during his prime. He also taught Earl Strickland how to jump when Earl was 17 and on the road.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dogginda9 said:
Man could that guy play some good 9 ball. I watched him play a couple of times around Chicago and nobody knew who he was. He took off a couple good scores playing some top quality players on their home courts.
He gave up weight to Cliff Joyner and sent him packing. There. Saw it. It happened.

Another name for you.... Brian Ezell. Ol' Ezee could knock'em in the holes. I once saw him beat Earl Strickland 9-4 in a tournament after about twelve Buds. He was falling back into his chair between turns. Originally from South Carolina, now lives in New Bern. Also, Pete Horne, Hugh Huggins, and Joe Root (not so much a champion, but could match up right with a rock if need be).

Last edited:

BackPocket9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
junior718 said:
never heard of the guy.

Rob,
he's talking about the Richie that owns Bellmore Billiards in eastern Nassau County.

the guy plays strong but he's certainly not "one of the best ever". Stalev ripped Richie apart when Steve the Russian brought him through Long Island several years ago.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David Rhodes

David Rhodes was one of the best players in the country at one time. I have seen most all the pro's in the last 25 years and there are 3 people who stand out in my mind with so much natual talent it scares me and David Rhodes is one of those players. The other 2 players are Keith McCready and Leo Newberry. All three of these players are fearless and make tough shots look very easy. David Rhodes is one of the funnest players also. I remember one time (about 20 years ago) that there were 4 or 5 players betting 5.00 each to see who could kick in the cue ball 3 rails in the corner with the heal of their shoe. David made his attempt and the cue ball slide off the side of his heal and went about a foot. He immediatley said it was a "mis-foot" and asked for another try.

junior718

Skyline Billiard Club
Silver Member
BackPocket9Ball said:
Rob,
he's talking about the Richie that owns Bellmore Billiards in eastern Nassau County.

the guy plays strong but he's certainly not "one of the best ever". Stalev ripped Richie apart when Steve the Russian brought him through Long Island several years ago.

i would love to go play the guy

junior718

Skyline Billiard Club
Silver Member
BackPocket9Ball said:
Rob,

hey reza. when you coming back to brooklyn so we can play?