Unknown "monster" players

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BackPocket9Ball said:
Rob,
he's talking about the Richie that owns Bellmore Billiards in eastern Nassau County.

the guy plays strong but he's certainly not "one of the best ever". Stalev ripped Richie apart when Steve the Russian brought him through Long Island several years ago.

I mean, Stalev can rip apart Johnny Archer. If you said a B player ripped him apart, you would be saying something.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
I mean, Stalev can rip apart Johnny Archer. If you said a B player ripped him apart, you would be saying something.

That's what I was thinking - no shame in having Evgeny rip you up. Ask Mika Immonnen about his visit to Richie's place... lol

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
That's what I was thinking - no shame in having Evgeny rip you up. Ask Mika Immonnen about his visit to Richie's place... lol

Yeah, Mika made the same visit right after winning the world championship and won ONE game of 1-hole. So from that point on, he was champion of the world minus Long Island.

boggs41076

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, can any you guys throw a few names down here around KY..
just wonderin who to be lookin for...

rzrbak98

onepocket junkie
Silver Member
I know vernon has a protege chubby fellow who i watched run 180 on a triple shim gold crown monster player didnt really get his name tho.

bobalouiecda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember two great shooters in the mid 60's from Kansas City. The first was Johnny Morrow, a child prodigy who quit at about 16, came back in his 20's. He was a legend in the early 60's. The second player was Gary ?, an ex Marine, and a fireman in K.C. He had the best stroke of any player I have ever seen. I have been trying to remember his last name for years.
Anyone remember him playing on 47th and Troost help me with his name.
When I lived in Montana Terry Boucher, now deceased, was as close to pro as you can be. I hear his son Jeff has followed in his footsteps.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bobalouiecda said:
I remember two great shooters in the mid 60's from Kansas City. The first was Johnny Morrow, a child prodigy who quit at about 16, came back in his 20's. He was a legend in the early 60's. The second player was Gary ?, an ex Marine, and a fireman in K.C. He had the best stroke of any player I have ever seen. I have been trying to remember his last name for years.
Anyone remember him playing on 47th and Troost help me with his name.
When I lived in Montana Terry Boucher, now deceased, was as close to pro as you can be. I hear his son Jeff has followed in his footsteps.
I remember Johnny Morrow in the late eighties? Pretty sporty.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hilla_hilla said:
I heard there was a guy that lived in a box in the back parking lot of College Billiards. 5 or so years ago I saw him standing on the off ramp of the 15 freeway asking for change. His nick name was, "Roy the cook" and when I first started playing pool (9 years ago) I would see him play every once in a while and his game was still impressive without practicing.

Billy Graves was also another phenomenal player during his prime. He also taught Earl Strickland how to jump when Earl was 17 and on the road.

Roy & Billy were both good players and when they had their mixture right, could be great players. I wouldn't consider either one a monster though, since I have had success playing both of them and I am a long way from being a monster player. John Henderson

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crawfish said:
Eugene Browning. Period. Whatever happened to that guy?
I saw Eugene about 7 mos ago. He told he was married, working and living in Texas. I think think he was best bar box player of his time. He is a friend, I may be biased but I think I can get many to agree with me. P.S. Jr Rogers is a good friend of mine, and I know Vernon very well. Ask Keith, Buddy Hall, Grady, Ronnie Allen, etc. about them. {great money players}

Last edited:

BigCat

The Panda Diaries
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know this guy, I think his name is "Adame", in Arizona who shoots 'flavored, preservitive jam'-up. I've watched him for years.

For the life of me, I can't remember his first name though :)

Ray

Craig

Custom Cue-Repair
Silver Member
" Lots A Popa "

Older guys may know who Im talking about. And he had gamble.

He beat the Pretty Boy Floyd on Accu-Stats I believe if I remember correctly.

Could play one-pocket with just about anybody alive and they didnt have to like the action.

I watched him play several times and he could play all games jam-up but onepocket was his best game.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Craig said:
" Lots A Popa "

Older guys may know who Im talking about. And he had gamble.

He beat the Pretty Boy Floyd on Accu-Stats I believe if I remember correctly.

Could play one-pocket with just about anybody alive and they didnt have to like the action.

I watched him play several times and he could play all games jam-up but onepocket was his best game.
I remember watching him play. If it's the same "Lots A Popa", he was a huge man and shot standing almost straight up.

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
jus4funbilliard said:
tied for fourth at derby city kid from maine dechaine

Kid from Ohio finished tied for fourth as well...Ryan Stone. He also finished 10th in banks at the Derby City!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0266.jpg
    DSC_0266.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 5,061

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hilla_hilla said:
I heard there was a guy that lived in a box in the back parking lot of College Billiards. 5 or so years ago I saw him standing on the off ramp of the 15 freeway asking for change. His nick name was, "Roy the cook" and when I first started playing pool (9 years ago) I would see him play every once in a while and his game was still impressive without practicing.

Billy Graves was also another phenomenal player during his prime. He also taught Earl Strickland how to jump when Earl was 17 and on the road.
There are so many funny stories about Roy "the Cook".

One time a road player came to College Billiards in San Diego and was taking down everyone. When no one else stepped up to play, he started barking to everyone about how the room had nothing but scardy cats. A couple of guys decided to go get "the Cook". They went outside to the dumpster enclosure where Roy was sleeping and woke him up. When he showed up to play, he looked pretty roughed up. The road player just looks at Roy and wonders if this was a joke. They get to playing and, of course, Roy just wipes the floor with the guy.

I told Roy that I saw him years ago beat Danny Di Liberto, running a 5-pack, at a major Tahoe tournament. Sadly, because of his chosen lifestyle, he had no memory of this.

Craig

Custom Cue-Repair
Silver Member
DoubleA said:
I remember watching him play. If it's the same "Lots A Popa", he was a huge man and shot standing almost straight up.

thats him BIG blcak guy about 300 lbs maybe

pletho

NON "ACTION KNOCKER"
Silver Member
bobalouiecda said:
i remember two great shooters in the mid 60's from kansas city. The first was johnny morrow, a child prodigy who quit at about 16, came back in his 20's. He was a legend in the early 60's. The second player was gary ?, an ex marine, and a fireman in k.c. He had the best stroke of any player i have ever seen. I have been trying to remember his last name for years.
Anyone remember him playing on 47th and troost help me with his name.
When i lived in montana terry boucher, now deceased, was as close to pro as you can be. I hear his son jeff has followed in his footsteps.

gary serville he still plays here and sporty also

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
asiasdad said:
He was taken out of Classic Billiards in Portland the other afternoon
wearing jewelry and enough counts that he won't be playing pool
for quite some time.
Sorry to hear that. I had just been thinking after reading the prior post that David would probably have been a champion if he could've stayed out of slam long enough...:(

Doc