Unknown "monster" players

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Is this the same Bobby Baldwin that won the World Series Of Poker in the late 70's and became President of the Mirage Hotel in Vegas. Has worked for Steve Wynn for many years now. I know he was from Oklahoma and loved to play pool. He had a memorable game with Archie The Greek, maybe the biggest

Not the same guys Jay, just the same names. Bobby was an old scuffler from Bartelville OK. A real grind it out type.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Back in the day, Pete was a great player and people would go out of their way to avoid Cheyenne because of it. He was always a gentleman when I watched him play - one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

Couldn't agree more David. Pete is one of the nicesst guys you will ever meet and was underestimated by many. He played all games really well. Joe Villapandos brother-in-law.

dirtybobjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dardusm said:
Jay,

Different Baldwin's but they follow the same road. The non-world poker champion played very sporty one pocket and had a son who could play named Shawn. He eventually quit playing pool to play poker and I heard now that he deals poker at an Indian reservation in OK.

LOL If I remember correctly...... he had a son-in-law that played pretty "Sporty" , too. His name was David?

9ball123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monster Plater

DoubleA said:
Players who are largely "unknown" but possess close to champion speed? Would love to hear some stories. I will throw one name out there as an example(Vernon Elliot). He doesn't play anymore, but when he did, he was a "monster". Some of you know him and his reputation. would like to hear about him and any others that you know. Not trying to knock any action, I'm talking mainly about the "old timers".
ANYONE KNOW CLINT MCCULLOUGH

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
alstl said:
It is a home made video from 1987 at Cue and Cushion in St Louis. I started a thread recently in the wtb forum and paid a guy $20 for a copy of it. I can't get it to copy on my computer or I would make a copy for you.

Louie gives him the 7-8-9 and runs over him in an ahead set.

See Evelyn at www.9balltour.com. She knows the person that makes them available at her Midwest 9 ball tournaments. She can give you the contact information for ordering one. I think they are around $20.00.

Her number is (316) 371-5805.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
That's Leil Gay from Ohio. Still plays good.

Yeah, I seen JR come in 12th in the Akron Open the year that Tony Ellin won it. JR also has an run of about 326 balls in straight pool at a pool hall (RiverCity, I think) on the East side of Cleveland. It was not done in competition, but, was seen by others.

Another strong player in Cleveland is Ralph Carnes. I do no know if he is still playing or not, but, I saw him run 97 and out on a double shimmed table at Chagrin Valley Billiards giving a guy a 100 ball spot to 150. Guy had him 137 to 53. Alos beat Tony Ellin the week before Tony's Akron Open win for 1st place at Chandley's Pool Room. 9 ball.

Haven't read the entire thread, but, there is also Rusty Brandmeyer from St. Louis area. Rusty hasn't played for quite a while, but, still hits the banks pretty good. Last time he played, he practiced seeing the edge of the ball on Wednesday, then went up to Moline and went through the winners bracket undefeated to win the bar box title. 256 players.

rzrbak98

onepocket junkie
Silver Member
Video

klockdoc said:
See Evelyn at www.9balltour.com. She knows the person that makes them available at her Midwest 9 ball tournaments. She can give you the contact information for ordering one. I think they are around $20.00.

Her number is (316) 371-5805.

Nat Green(south east cues) makes the videos sells them for 20.00

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another one for you guys on the bartable. Gene "the machine" Cooper was spotted living in Charlotte. Any stories on the "Machine?"

How 'bout good ol' Charlie Brinson? Come on, everybody knows Charlie.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crawfish said:
Another one for you guys on the bartable. Gene "the machine" Cooper was spotted living in Charlotte. Any stories on the "Machine?"

How 'bout good ol' Charlie Brinson? Come on, everybody knows Charlie.
Gene really played jam up in the early 90's,but I don't think he ever could beat Eugene Browning on a barbox. I was with "Nugene" when he offered the 8-ball to Cooper and a few other notables,and no one took him up on it. As for Charlie Brinson, I know some great stories, but you would have to write a book.

Last edited:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
"Anyone Heard Of Clint Mccllough"

> I sure have. I saw him beat Archer 13-6 or something like that at a bar table tournament in Tunica,Ms one time. I got talked into betting against Archer,and just knew I was gonna lose :rolleyes:. He did something that takes extraordinary balls at the Super Bowl tournament at The Rack one year too. The blind bid went for 1200,and they took Cliff or Reed Pierce I think. Clint was bid up rather high,and was bidding on himself the whole time. He eventually bought all of himself for 1500,and refused offers to take 1/2. He also made a score off James Christopher playing 1-hole. What does that tell ya?

Other players I've thought about in this vein are Jason LaFleur,Jamie Ferrell,Ricky Leatherwood,and Mark Cavalier. Tommy D.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DoubleA said:
Gene really played jam up in the early 90's,but I don't think he ever could beat Eugene Browning on a barbox. I was with "Nugene" when offered the 8-ball to Cooper and a few other notables,and no one took him up on it. As for Charlie Brinson, I know some great stories, but you would have to write a book.
I bought Charlie a hotdog at a tourney, once. His response,"Damn, that's way better than that bar of soap I had for dinner at the hotel."

I once asked him where he was staying during a tournament.

"Staying, you mean hotel? Why, it's just a three day tournament."

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crawfish said:
I bought Charlie a hotdog at a tourney, once. His response,"Damn, that's way better than that bar of soap I had for dinner at the hotel."

Yeah!!! you know Charlie.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy-D said:
"Anyone Heard Of Clint Mccllough"

> I sure have. I saw him beat Archer 13-6 or something like that at a bar table tournament in Tunica,Ms one time. I got talked into betting against Archer,and just knew I was gonna lose :rolleyes:. He did something that takes extraordinary balls at the Super Bowl tournament at The Rack one year too. The blind bid went for 1200,and they took Cliff or Reed Pierce I think. Clint was bid up rather high,and was bidding on himself the whole time. He eventually bought all of himself for 1500,and refused offers to take 1/2. He also made a score off James Christopher playing 1-hole. What does that tell ya?

Other players I've thought about in this vein are Jason LaFleur,Jamie Ferrell,Ricky Leatherwood,and Mark Cavalier. Tommy D.
Is Clint still living around Atlanta?

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crawfish said:

i was at a tournament in spartanburg s.c. in the late 80s early 90s when a guy approached me and asked to play some 500 sets . i told him some other time and when he walked away charlie said "damn jason you got to play him some don't you?" i said charlie im broke and he said " shit i'll take half that air barrell" lol

9ball123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think he is still around what about a guy named eric bryant, i watched him beat clint mccollough in one pocket giving clint ten five.. and crushing him

Last edited: