Unknown "monster" players

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy-D said:
>
Anyone remember Bill Mielke,or know Wayne Collins? Tommy D.

Yes, I remember Bill Mielke. He played pretty strong. In his day, he seemed to be pretty well known. I don't know what ever happened to him. He was always a threat to place high in any tournament.

The last time I heard anything about Bill, he was in the poolroom one day when 3 Filipinos came in. He ended up playing the #3 player in the group and lost badly. At the time, the Filipino invasion was just starting.

Last edited:

Danny Kuykendal

Danny K
Silver Member
Bill Meilke was living in Orange County in the late 70's and was beating most players around, but I would not say he was a world beater.

Weldon Rogers was living in Tucson when I was 17, ditching school on Thursdays and driving from Sierra Vista AZ to the Billiard Academy where I would be lucky enough to on occasion watch him play. He was awesome back then. Snazzy dresser, and with a temper, but played well for the cash, on a big table and bar box.

We took a phenomenal black player named Joe Louis who was in the service at Ft Hauchuca in 1968, and Joe beat Weldon for a couple of hours until Rogers found his stroke. When they got to even Joe quit, but he did pretty well for someone borrowing another player's cheap cue.

Joe was about 30 at the time and had a scar accross his throat, like someone had cut him. After he broke even with Weldon, Joe played Alf Taylor in one pocket and gave Alf a great spot and lost his bankroll of only about 200 bucks.

Interesting about Weldon Rogers; He was the only person mentioned in Buddy Hall's book that actually beat Buddy on one occasion. Buddy considered him an extremely tough opponent.

Anyone ever hear of Joe Louis?

Ltldebbie

Ltldebbie
Silver Member
Anyone run into Vladimir Goudima

Danny Kuykendal said:
Bill Meilke was living in Orange County in the late 70's and was beating most players around, but I would not say he was a world beater.......

Anyone run into Vladimir or Vladamir Goudima a russian. A Black Russian in coloring. He played in Salem OR in the mid 70's. Bar box or big table. Played most games but preferred...9 ball.

Last I saw him was at the Billiard Palace in LA county. I had been there for three days and it was the early 80's maybe 82 or 83. I was a little worse for the wear and very road weary. He took me out a fed me, as well as giving me a little bite, and much needed rest. He was working....a day job. Something I don't think he had to do to survive in Oregon. He was spending way to much time in the card rooms in Gardena & Bellflower.

Hope the best for him & hope he is still alive and well. Mentioning Bill Meilke just made him pop into my head. This thread is awsome for old memories.

Eieio59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Just a few names to add to the list. Bernie Schwartz was a monster 9-ball player in the 60's and 70's before he got rich with the ovenware.

Don Watson could play (and beat) most anyone throughout his career. Softest touch I ever saw. He'd just as soon kick back and play the ponies though.

QUOTE]

I had the pleasure of being around Don in his older years at Greenway Billiards in Baton Rouge....he did have an awesome stroke and although he was always quiet, if you asked him "just right" .... he would share some awesome stories!

Tammie Jones

Dagwoodz

the dude abides...
Silver Member
He's not playing anymore, but a player from up in the NE area, SE CT to be exact, was extremely strong. Greg Hoagland. He had so much natural talent, but was just bored with the game so stopped playing. He just concentrates on his plumbing business and golf's occasionally. When he was playing, he was beating Chicken George (spotted him 3 games to 9 and gave him the first break), Wayne Collins(9 ball and 1 hole), and if I remember correctly, had a perfect record against Ginky in the All About Pool tournaments and early Joss events. I know that I've seen him run through Alex Lely in 9 ball and 1 hole, and was only taking 2 points from Parica when Jose was playing out of CT.

Another player who I don't think has been mentioned here is Ian Costello. He's probably a little better known, but he's originally from the NY area and was living in the San Jose area last I saw him. He's also not playing as often, (cards), but can hit them pretty sporty.

In TX, he's probably also more of a "name", but JR Harris doesn't play too shabby...

edit: I'm forgetting Billy "the kid" Lanna too... havne't heard from him in some time.

Dagwoodz

the dude abides...
Silver Member
I didn't have time to put the whole story up about Greg Hoagland playing Chicken George.

We were in a pool hall on the road south of Cleveland. Don't remember the name of the town. But Greg was matched up with George playing even. He was on the lamb, and had lost the first set, (only playing for 100, with 100 on the side with the backers. We doubled the bet for set 2, and kept the bet with the backers the same.) So George is up 3-0 in the second set, plays a weak safe. The backer says something to the effect, "don't worry, this guy can't hit the broad side of a barn." Greg just stands up and tells George to change the bet to 600 clams right there, giving him the 3 games. The backer agrees, and Greg looks at him and woofs at him to bet 500 more on the side. Again, agrees. Greg kicks the ball in and runs the set out from there. Of course, George, true to his nickname, runs out the door from there. We collect, and as we're walking out the door, walk past a guy shooting on the front table, who stands up and stares at us as we're walking out. Greg woofs again, "You want to play?"

The guy comes back with, "Yeah, if you'll spot me 3 games to 9 for 500."
"You got 3 to 21 for 5000."

This guy just whips out a knot of about 8-10k. Greg looks at him for a second, and just walks right out the door without saying anything. The guy, who's name (IIRC) was Sam Sidott, chases us out of the door wanting to play and ends up playing Greg even for 2k, and we took 2 sets. Nice little score out of that room.

Dags

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DoubleA said:
In the early 90's,there was a guy named Barry Medlock in NC(around Ashville I think) that played very very good. Anyone know him or what happened to him?
There's a Barry Cook. There was also a David Matlock. No relation. Matlock is a disc jockey in Texas? Barry is still around Asheville. Either one of them can play me some.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crawfish said:
There's a Barry Cook. There was also a David Matlock. No relation. Matlock is a disc jockey in Texas? Barry is still around Asheville. Either one of them can play me some.
Found out that Barry Medlock was from Spartanburg, he won the Smoky Mtn. Shootout in '93 I believe. Last time I saw him. I was there with Tony Mougey, and he beat Tony in the finals.

Paul Juarez

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I liked Roy's game the best of the three. He could really get down on his belly and play. Kind of a Ronnie Wiseman or George Breedlove style. Two real hard players. Roy has been dealing in Reno for years now. A health nut, he still looks like he's 40 at most. Very bright guy who is totally barred from playing BlackJack in Reno.

Billy Ray had a lot of talent, but was (and probably still is) a hard core hustler. He was rumored dead for several years but turned up very much alive a few years ago. Originally from Rhode Island. I played him in my pool room in Bakersfield (a $200 set) and made my all time biggest comeback. He had me down 9-2 going to 11, and I came back to win 11-10. He broke his shaft on the rail and stormed out, only to return the next day and beat me back for the $200. I got along with him okay, but he could take an attitude that led to more than a few scrapes.

Billy Aguero was another excellent player from the Bay area who was always getting staked to play road men passing through. I think playing all those good players took a toll on him though. Haven't heard much about him in several years since Chalkers closed up. He was the house pro.

Vera Cruz (real name Sebastian Villaneuva) was another hard core bar hustler who played jam up Eight Ball. Usually traveled alone and might show up anywhere. Lost an eye in a bar scrap about 15 years ago, and last I heard lost his life, only a couple of years ago hustling in some border town. Someone might be able to confirm this. But I haven't seen or heard from him in a while. And he was a high profile hustler.

Jay,
I actually saw Vera Cruz in Modesto about a year ago.

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Paul Juarez said:
Jay,
I actually saw Vera Cruz in Modesto about a year ago.
Would this be the same person known as "Chino"? Or Sebastian Franco? Because he had an eye issue as well that I had heard came from a bar scrap. He was around Chicago in the 90's alot but could show up anywhere. Just curious.

Last edited:

bullshooter69

Dirt Road Player
Silver Member
Anyone ever heard of BUDDY DENNIS. He was living around Dallas Ft worth area a few years ago but was from up north maybe New Jersey. Then he moved away. I heard back up north.

roosterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about Andy Olguin in Amarillo,Tx.He beat alot of people between about 1968-78.He beat Buddy hall twice,Ronnie Allen,Flyboy.His favorite saying is bet high and sleep in the street.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
met wayne collins at jack and jills in glen burnie md. a couple of years ago and he beat my buddy(9 ball) and we beat him playing 1 hole. really solid player.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bullshooter69 said:
Anyone ever heard of BUDDY DENNIS. He was living around Dallas Ft worth area a few years ago but was from up north maybe New Jersey. Then he moved away. I heard back up north.
Oh yes, Buddy Dennis. I remember him being in Southern Cal during the mid-80's. He seemed pretty well known though.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone remember a player named Dave Favor? He played the small table really good, had a bad eye if I remember right. There was another player that got around quite a bit, that played all tables good, and was a jam-up one-pocket player. John (Arty) Clemons

clint3612

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
roosterman said:
How about Andy Olguin in Amarillo,Tx.He beat alot of people between about 1968-78.He beat Buddy hall twice,Ronnie Allen,Flyboy.His favorite saying is bet high and sleep in the street.
How about first class paddy wagon.

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
nitty bitty said:
Didn't Horace Harper beat everyone that came through Macon, GA at one time? I heard everyone lost to him - every top player at the time.

On the bar table what about guys Jimmy King or Joe Wofford or even Danny Cook.

He sent Sigel and Jimmy Mataya home talking to their selves. They couldnt believe this guy from the sticks was tearing them a new one on a barbox. Also, another Georgia player who is/ was pretty unkown is Randy Burris. Randy still plays good when hes playing and capable of beating anyone. He plays all games well.

Southpaw

demonrho

Registered Amuser
Silver Member
8ballEinstein said:
Oh yes, Buddy Dennis. I remember him being in Southern Cal during the mid-80's. He seemed pretty well known though.

Also known as Baltimore Buddy. Talking about Buddys... anyone remember Mexican Buddy or San Jose Buddy? (He is actually half Filipino I think.)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
demonrho said:
Also known as Baltimore Buddy. Talking about Buddys... anyone remember Mexican Buddy or San Jose Buddy? (He is actually half Filipino I think.)

Little Buddy played good, but gave it up for his family. Buddy Dennis was a strong player, but maybe a ball under the top guys. He would duck a Marino, Lisciotti, Jimmy Reid or Bob Osborne. Buddy, Richie, Wade Crane and Keith were way out of his league. They WERE monsters!

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
demonrho said:
I believe these were two different guys. I played them both.
Baltimore Buddy was a bigger man than Buddy Dennis. Both played very good. I gave the edge to Baltimore Buddy.