Unknown "monster" players

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Didn't want to read the whole thread, but Kirkwood is the most unknown and/or underrated player that I know of.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't want to read the whole thread, but Kirkwood is the most unknown and/or underrated player that I know of.
Jason is very good, but pretty well known. I agree with an earlier post that Vernon E. was probably the best of the unknowns. Anyone ever see Bucky Bell play in his prime?

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
I watched Billy Weir run 18 racks of 9-ball in a row on the bar box
with the big cue ball back in the early 80's, could cut anything in,that man was wicked!, he was running with Gary Seay(Cey), watched Gary put a 9 pack down once at 9-ball, he was a jump shot artist!

David Harcrow

David, I went to a tournament yesterday in Ardmore,OK. and someone told me that Gary Seay was playing in Lawton,OK. I know that Larry Humphrey is from there and I haven't seen him in a while. Guess I need to make a trip to Lawton.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
David, I went to a tournament yesterday in Ardmore,OK. and someone told me that Gary Seay was playing in Lawton,OK. I know that Larry Humphrey is from there and I haven't seen him in a while. Guess I need to make a trip to Lawton.

Papa Red,
It's good to here that Gary is still hittin the balls, I was wondering if he was still alive, he and Country Calvin use to have some "Epic" battles on the bar box that would last for days!

Gary and Billy had a backer back in the late 70's and early 80's named "Doug Wells," he was from Ardmore,Okla. , he even staked me a few times, very good man, I really liked him, if he's still alive he would be in his 80's I guess, wonder if he's still kickin?

David Harcrow

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I would still think Alaska would have some monsters, but I don't know how monterish they are as most never leave the state.

I don't know about today, but there always was a good living to be made in parts of Alaska hustling pool. But if ya going to hustle you better do it right or have a gun...they don't play that hustle sh** up there. I spent two years there, then went back a year later for another year and then four more times for a few months each time. I always came home with pockets full and only had one real problem. A native tried to rob me with a knife in an alley in Fairbanks...I believe I stabbed him to death with my knife. Don't know, didn't hang around. Was heading to the lower 48 on the next plane. Johnnyt

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
Papa Red,
It's good to here that Gary is still hittin the balls, I was wondering if he was still alive, he and Country Calvin use to have some "Epic" battles on the bar box that would last for days!

Gary and Billy had a backer back in the late 70's and early 80's named "Doug Wells," he was from Ardmore,Okla. , he even staked me a few times, very good man, I really liked him, if he's still alive he would be in his 80's I guess, wonder if he's still kickin?

David Harcrow

I remember the name but can't put a face with it, the next time I'm in Ardmore I'll check for you!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone have any information or stories about Kenny Wellman? He was a strong player in Connecticut 15-20 years ago, then apparently moved elsewhere.

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
Anyone have any information or stories about Kenny Wellman? He was a strong player in Connecticut 15-20 years ago, then apparently moved elsewhere.

The only Kenny Wellman i ever knew lived in North CArolina for a while and from what i heard was a beast! Used to play out of Pedro's poolroom in BUrlington N.C. back when Wade Crane and Buddy Hall came by for some action. The sad news was he got into drugs heavy and well.....lost his touch. =(

There is a guy out there right now trying to make it happen by the name of Mike Fuller who is dang near all time champions speed. He went hill-hill with archer and hillbilly in last years season end Jacoby Championships.

Anyone around N.C. can vouch for this guy.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The only Kenny Wellman i ever knew lived in North CArolina for a while and from what i heard was a beast! Used to play out of Pedro's poolroom in BUrlington N.C. back when Wade Crane and Buddy Hall came by for some action. The sad news was he got into drugs heavy and well.....lost his touch. =(

That could be the same guy. Did he have strange facial mannerisms as he shot?

SKG

Registered
GARY SEVILLE HE STILL PLAYS HERE AND SPORTY ALSO

Hi I was a patron at that room (Rockhill Recreation?) in about the 1970-1972 timeframe, and I remember Gary Seville. He played 3 cushion very well also. There was a young guy that was about 18 or so who had an equally impressive stroke in the same room. His name was Steve something. Also, when I was going there, there was a guy who worked in the room called Walter something.. He was writing a book on 3 cushion. I live in Tucson now, but would love to hear what these guys last names were..

Email me privately please:
poolfool@cox.net

sydbarret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Ingersoll was a great player in the Boston area for many years. He once placed an add in the New York Times for anyone to come to Boston and play him one-pocket.

Nick Vlahos was also a great player from the New England area. He played in tournaments, in the Boston area, for over a year in the early eighties and never lost a set. I would say roughly fourteen or fifteen straight tournaments.

Tom Mcgonagle as well. He was a top player on the NE tour when he played alot in the nineties and I think once won 3 straight events(tough fields)

stolz2

Kid Mack
Silver Member
Rhodes

I've heard some pretty good stories about David Rhodes. Maybe someone could shed some light on this... Northwest players??? Had the opportunity to play him a lot, but I could see that he had a crazy gear. I don't think he really loved pool though.. just everything that came with the lifestyle..:rolleyes:

No owing money stories.. not enough room for that!

Glenn told me he never plays anymore, i tried to set up a game between him and my friend Todd and he wouldnt play. I have heard from Glenn and other solid NW players that he was a great player.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi I was a patron at that room (Rockhill Recreation?) in about the 1970-1972 timeframe, and I remember Gary Seville. He played 3 cushion very well also. There was a young guy that was about 18 or so who had an equally impressive stroke in the same room. His name was Steve something. Also, when I was going there, there was a guy who worked in the room called Walter something.. He was writing a book on 3 cushion. I live in Tucson now, but would love to hear what these guys last names were..

Email me privately please:
poolfool@cox.net

It's Raytown Recreation. I'm not sure what Walter's last name, but pretty sure the Steve that you are thinking about is Steve Hassell. A very strong player in both pool and 3-C.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I would still think Alaska would have some monsters, but I don't know how monterish they are as most never leave the state.

I don't know about today, but there always was a good living to be made in parts of Alaska hustling pool. But if ya going to hustle you better do it right or have a gun...they don't play that hustle sh** up there. I spent two years there, then went back a year later for another year and then four more times for a few months each time. I always came home with pockets full and only had one real problem. A native tried to rob me with a knife in an alley in Fairbanks...I believe I stabbed him to death with my knife. Don't know, didn't hang around. Was heading to the lower 48 on the next plane. Johnnyt

Ummm, assuming that this stabbing report is non fiction....there is no statute of limitations on murder!? And, fyi, the same laws apply in the lower 48 too...

Eric >full moon t'nite?

CAR22

Registered
players who are largely "unknown" but possess close to champion speed? Would love to hear some stories. I will throw one name out there as an example(vernon elliot). He doesn't play anymore, but when he did, he was a "monster". Some of you know him and his reputation. Would like to hear about him and any others that you know. Not trying to knock any action, i'm talking mainly about the "old timers".

i've talked to vernon elliot a few time it crazy at the story that man can tell about who he played and who he beat i would have loved to seen him play back in his day

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
great thread

One of the best threads ever . Don't hear alot out of this guy
and I don't know if he is from Georgia or the Carolina's ,Bruce
Berong. Also being I grew up in North Carolina I am curious if
anyone remembers Keesy (may have spelled that wrong ) .Earl
said when I asked that he was still alive in his late 80s .He had
a room under the southern auto parts in Asheboro.When we were
kids we snuck in and he would let us play and climb up on the
10 ft tables.

DefiniteHasBeen

Used to be a "Young Gun"
Silver Member
Hear are some players from the 70's and 80's
Ohio - Kenny McCoy, Charlie Schram, Jack Wilson, Dave Heil, Ival Mitchell
Kentucky - Marlboro, Bobby Johnson, Rodney Keown, WC Richardson
Indiana - Fred Perry, Peru Paul
W.Va. - Jack Hatfield, Brier Spivey
This is just a few; if I thought about it I could name many more.
You cannot talk about players in Ohio and not mention Steve MacAnich from Toledo... very few people came to Toledo looking to try him and "Million Dollar Marty" at the Glass City Billiards.

Proof: Gabe Owen got the wild 5+7 and the breaks at Shooters in Olathe in the mid 90's before Gabe was a Champion... Gabe lost around $8,000. Also, Tony Watson got the wild 8 in Brass Tap in NC on the "table with the dots in the back of the pockets that Johnny Archer practiced on". They played 8 ahead for $2,000 and we also had every side bet in the room... Stevie won in 45 minutes... Tony and all of Brass Tap pulled up.

Stevie now owns The Pool Room in Toledo, Ohio over on the East side...

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I've never talked to him a lot,but I've known Steve since the days of Starcher's and the Akron Open. That room had a seemlingly endless lineup of near-champions,and action in all price ranges. One guy from that group that stood out was Mikey Vero. I've seen him play near flawless 9-ball for like 5-6 hours for 5-10 bucks a game,as well as in 500 dollar sets. You'd know it if you saw him,he looked like The Fonz.

The thing about that place was if you beat him,there were 20 more behind him that played as well or better. Niels Feijen hung there in later years. Tommy D.

jtrombetta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played alot of pool with Don Soper's sons up in Minnesota it was one of those stories about how " you should see my dad play", well they weren't kidding at age 74 it was still LIGHTS OUT. Don was still in South Dakota last time I saw him at a state tourney.