Unqualified Recommendation -- Jay Spielberg of A-1 Billiard Service

G&M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mentioned this as part of a thread on a different topic (Simonis installation videos), but thought Jay deserved his own thread.

For years, my table was not playing right -- rails slow, not as level as it should have been, banking angles off, etc. I had paid other folks (more than one) to try to fix but with poor results. The table just didn't play like a good, commercial table, and I had thought it was just not possible to bring it up to poolroom standards.

Thanks to this forum, found Jay Spielberg's name as someone who does excellent work and handles work all over the country, but certainly the East Coast. (His home base is NH.)

Before Jay started work, he looked me in the eye, and promised that when he was done, I would think that the table is the best table I'd ever played on. This seemed to be a pretty bold claim at the time, but now that he's done, he was right!

By matching the right cushion rubber to the table, adjusting to make the nose height and the angle of the rubber exactly right, and in all respects calibrating the rails, he solved the table's main problem. While he was at it, he took the time needed to level the table to as near to perfectly level as any table could be (it plays dead level), and, while he was at it, extended the rails (in other words, not just relying on shims) to tighten the pockets to a tight, but fair, 4-1/2" dimension. Jay kept his promise and then some.

He was fair with price, kept in contact with me, honored his appointments, didn't rush the job, but didn't let it drag out either. There are few better words to describe Jay than "professional" and "perfectionist." He's both, which is lucky for those of us who are fans of the game. Without people like Jay, the game as it should be played is simply not possible.

Jay is the only table professional in the New England Pool & Billiards Hall of Fame. When you've had the pleasure of working with Jay and seeing what he can accomplish, it's fitting that he should stand in the company of such greats as Boston Shorty. If you need any work on your table -- from a simple change of cloth to a difficult problem that no one else seems to be able to figure out or fix, I cannot recommend Jay strongly enough.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amen. Jay has blown my mind with top-notch skill and service.

Wish he was closer to me, or at least had a twin who lived nearby!

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
Thanks for the kind words guy's. Keep in mind we had a perfect table to re-hab. The Brunswick Anniversary D-C model is a super table once the sins of past mistakes are corrected.

Kleber P 59 cushions are the best playing cushion in the world (IMHO) and that's why all the top Carom table makers prefer them. Simonis cloth, and some rail calibration and you'll have a fantastic playing pool table.

Hope to see you in the next couple of weeks for a game of 14.1 on that gem of a table.

Jay

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Mentioned this as part of a thread on a different topic (Simonis installation videos), but thought Jay deserved his own thread.

For years, my table was not playing right -- rails slow, not as level as it should have been, banking angles off, etc. I had paid other folks (more than one) to try to fix but with poor results. The table just didn't play like a good, commercial table, and I had thought it was just not possible to bring it up to poolroom standards.

Thanks to this forum, found Jay Spielberg's name as someone who does excellent work and handles work all over the country, but certainly the East Coast. (His home base is NH.)

Before Jay started work, he looked me in the eye, and promised that when he was done, I would think that the table is the best table I'd ever played on. This seemed to be a pretty bold claim at the time, but now that he's done, he was right!

By matching the right cushion rubber to the table, adjusting to make the nose height and the angle of the rubber exactly right, and in all respects calibrating the rails, he solved the table's main problem. While he was at it, he took the time needed to level the table to as near to perfectly level as any table could be (it plays dead level), and, while he was at it, extended the rails (in other words, not just relying on shims) to tighten the pockets to a tight, but fair, 4-1/2" dimension. Jay kept his promise and then some.

He was fair with price, kept in contact with me, honored his appointments, didn't rush the job, but didn't let it drag out either. There are few better words to describe Jay than "professional" and "perfectionist." He's both, which is lucky for those of us who are fans of the game. Without people like Jay, the game as it should be played is simply not possible.

Jay is the only table professional in the New England Pool & Billiards Hall of Fame. When you've had the pleasure of working with Jay and seeing what he can accomplish, it's fitting that he should stand in the company of such greats as Boston Shorty. If you need any work on your table -- from a simple change of cloth to a difficult problem that no one else seems to be able to figure out or fix, I cannot recommend Jay strongly enough.

I'll tell you what, there's only a small hand full of table mechanic's in this country that can do top notch work on pool tables, and Jay is for sure in that small hand full, trust me, I've spent years traveling from coast to coast working on pool tables and have seen it all, so I know every table mechanic that belongs to that small group, as the work always speaks for itself no matter where you're at in this country;)

Glen

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great thread. Thanks for posting.
Gotta love AzB. We find the best in Table Techs, Instructors and everything pool related.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

A anniversary+jay= one lucky table owner! We all would love to see a picture.
I know it turned out perfect but I'm curious which color the stain he used?
I have not seen jay around the fourms lately.. he must be busy in the shop, Hope he knows we all miss is presents around here.

Rob.M

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
Hi Rob and Glen,

Have been busy in the shop and on the road. Leaving for Tampa tonight. Sorry I haven't been following the forum much, hope all you guy's are keeping busy. My plans are to be off the road by the end of the year,... shop work only and run the store. Cliff, and Josh are doing a great job and letting me get a little rest.

I still enjoy rebuilding the old Brunswick's and they do play great when they are done, but my shipment of new Diamonds will be set up on the showroom floor for sale later this summer and along with my antiques and some used tables I'll be "put out to pasture" just selling tables and doing a little shop work to support the guy's

Jay,