Updates on SVB's visit to the Philippines

CrisDeLaGarza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So we all know he didn't do as well as he would have liked to in the Philippine Open. He was originally scheduled to fly back to Las Vegas for the World Summit of Pool and then back to China for the China Open. After looking at the crazy flight schedules, he decided his time would be better spent in poolhalls in the Philippines.

So for the last week he has been doing nothing but eating, sleeping and playing pool. The first day he lost a few sets and won a few sets and ended up about even at the end of the night.

Then the next day he played Carlos (I'm not sure who this is but maybe some of you do, he's a philippino player) and lost a cheap set to him. Then the Philippinos put Shane in a big set against one of the Taiwanese guys that went hill-hill and Shane won. Apparently there was a lot of comotion with that set. He said the Philippinos got really rowdy and it was interesting to be in a big set where they were rooting for him and not against him...rare occurance :)

The next day he played Fu (15-7), along with Warren Kiamco (18-14)and Efren Reyes(18-14)...Shane won all of those sets (My scores might be a little off, I am going by memory but the days get mixed up in my head)...It's such a shame no one is there to stream this stuff. It's an allstar match-up in every set.

Yesterday he played Carlos and Kiamco again and won both sets 17-14. He's scheduled to play Bustamante tonight and maybe Efren. Here is a quote directly from Shane's last email update to me:

"I ask Efren last night if he wanted to play again and he said 'lets play nine ball.'
Then I said 'what the f$%# is nineball. nineball is for pussys'.. haha. Then he said '$hhhhhhit' and walked away."

So I guess that means they might play tonight but no telling what the game will be.

I will post any other fun stories or updates I get from Shane over the next week before he leaves for China.

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
Wow, thanks for the updates...looks like playing in the philippines would only make him better! good decision -- time and money well spent (and earned!) !

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
Shane Van Boening is the Freakin Man!!! I will be checking this thread frequently...
Thanks for the updates=))

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Good decision in staying put and then go to China. Toastie is flying to Las Vegas and then China. Brutal schedule.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Thanks for the updates on Shane in action. It sounds like he's back in stroke and back to his winning ways. An instroke Shane with his break working is tough for ANYONE to fade. Johnnyt

CrisDeLaGarza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were all those matches 10-ball Cris?

Yes, those are all 10-ball matches. It's very rare that Shane plays anything else against those guys for money. He know's where his advantage is and won't give that up against those guys. But who knows, maybe he WILL end up playing Efren some 9-ball today.

kano

Unbelievable!!!!!
Silver Member
go shane

haha shane mixing it up in the Philippines. funny him talking shit with efren. i'll tell you right now the filipinos like him because he's not afraid to go to their turff and make games with anybody. that's why they were cheering for him. also they don't like the taiwanese, mostly 'cause they are sooo good and they keep sending sooo many players like robots one after another.

i wish more younger american players would follow his lead and go pay thier dues in the Philippines. it's easier for americans to go there than for filipinos to get visas and go to the states.

this is the kind of stuff legends are made of. the more he plays the more stories he'll have to tell and will be told about him.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chris,

Thank you so much for the Shane updates. It sounds like he is having a ball, keep em coming.

Also, congrats on your great showing in Vegas.

Dave

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Cris,
Sounds like Shane is in action everyday, and playing the Lot! That should have Shane's game in "super stroke" by the time he gets back to the states.

I can only imagine all the gambling bets that are being made each night by the philippino's, it must really get crazy at times!

David Harcrow

Last edited:

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah it is very cool to hear all that Shane is doing. He is playing the world's best in their own country. He should be primed by the time his match with Frost comes around. Where is Frost anyways? Iowa?

BVal

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
It sounds like Live Streaming would be great but I wonder if any of the pool rooms have high speed Internet access?

Great reports Cris. Keep them coming.

When Shane beats Orcullo, we want a separate thread. :thumbup:

Thanks,
JoeyA

The Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I ask Efren last night if he wanted to play again and he said 'lets play nine ball.'
Then I said 'what the f$%# is nineball. nineball is for pussys'.. haha. Then he said '$hhhhhhit' and walked away."

The only reason that Shane don't want ot play Efren for 9 ball because he has no chance on beating Reyes on 9 ball game..the only reason that SVB beat Efren on 10 ball coz reyes has no Break...but agains't Bustamante then lets see how's shane will use his game against Busta's break and safety on his home turf...lol.

but its good to see that SVB is having a blast matching with local hero in the philippines..SVB is showing lots of heart and that's showing what a great champion he is ...way to go SVB

Last edited:

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
It sounds like Live Streaming would be great but I wonder if any of the pool rooms have high speed Internet access?

Great reports Cris. Keep them coming.

When Shane beats Orcullo, we want a separate thread. :thumbup:

Thanks,
JoeyA

he has no chance to beat orcullo.
he can win a race but if they play a long time no chance.