Updates on SVB's visit to the Philippines

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Cool, good of you to share :) Sounds like shane's bankroll is growing by the minute.

Any details on the sets? Those scores are funky, do they like to play to odd numbers like 'race to 17' or something? What's a typical set over there? Everyone playing heads up?

The Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool, good of you to share :) Sounds like shane's bankroll is growing by the minute.

Any details on the sets? Those scores are funky, do they like to play to odd numbers like 'race to 17' or something? What's a typical set over there? Everyone playing heads up?

WPC FINAL is race to 17 :)

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool stories

Thanks for posting whats happening with Shane and the action he is in. Good decision to stay there. Great win in Vegas!

stormshadow1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB updates

Thanks for the SVB updates very cool.I can't wait to hear about the results if he is playing Bata and Busta today.I would love to see SVB vs Orcullo in a TAR match up we could all watch.I agree with CB if its a long race its going to be hard to beat Dennis Orcullo.He seems to be able to keep that high gear on.If SVB's break is working he can hang with anyone on the planet no question. I just think Dennis is really hard to beat in those long sets.Either way I wish I was there in the phillipines to sweat some of these matches.Action city.12squared are you in CO?I saw you mentioned Fort Collins.I know SVB was here in Denver a little while ago.I was in Hawaii of course at the time.I heard he played some local players could you fill me in on what really went down have heard several versions of course.Good luck Shane in your matches!It must be surreal to be there with all those great players in one spot.Concentrate and kick some ass!

Last edited:

Da Bank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if i were a filmmaker, this would be an unbelievable documentary.

great story. what the f#%. is nineball! lol.

Bigdogbret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Christina for the news on Shane playing in The Phillipines. It is awesome that the best American player is not afraid to go there and show them that we can play in this country too! It will be great for
Shane's game and I know it is something he has wanted to do for some time now. Will look forward to following this thread as more updates come forth.

P.S. Very nice win in Vegas! Would love to know what Shane said/did to help you out???? :eek:)

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet the poolrooms are PACKED and that the air is filled with excitement.

Wish I was there to see it. Not many times do the best of anything get together unsanctioned and duke it out. Local Pinoys are getting a huge treat.

Also interested in how the playing conditions are there and the differences.
Talking with some Pinoys here they mention that everyone is right around the table and that they write on the match table.

CrisDeLaGarza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would love to know what Shane said/did to help you out???? :eek:)

Look at you guys! Trying to find out his secrets :) Just kidding. When we got to Vegas Shane and I had a few "training session" where we spend a couple hours on my break. We tried the second ball break, 1st ball from side rail, and some from straight up or the bottom rail. Just kinda played around with it so see which one would work best for me and at what speed.

We practiced a lot of shots where it's usually difficult to kill the cue ball off the rail. He made me practice using waaay more spin than usual to throw balls in so the springy rails weren't as big of a factor in those shots.

What else...hmmm...Just overall strategy. He said most of the open players won't be breaking & running on me or trying to play a lot of break outs that often so just talked about positioning my balls and not feeling like I have to run out all the time.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
carlobiado.jpg
This is a picture of Carlo Biado, who Shane played against and lost, and then won against. Carlo is a new up-and-coming poolplayer from Bugsy Promotion, and I expect him to perform well if he ever gets to compete in big tournaments...

I bet the poolrooms are PACKED and that the air is filled with excitement.

Wish I was there to see it. Not many times do the best of anything get together unsanctioned and duke it out. Local Pinoys are getting a huge treat.

Also interested in how the playing conditions are there and the differences.
Talking with some Pinoys here they mention that everyone is right around the table and that they write on the match table.

Based on my experiences from the poolhalls One Side, Fusion and Side Pocket, I guess the places are packed.

At One Side there are big matches every single day. You can walk in at any given evening and most likely end up watching some of the following guys playing eachohter: Ronato Alcano, Alex Pagulayan, Dennis Orcullo, Efren Reyes, Fransisco Bustamante, Roberto Gomez, Jharome Pena, Lee Van Corteza, Jeffrey De Luna, Carlo Biado, Warren Kiamco and the list goes on and on...

They play eachother mostly in 10-ball, but sometimes in rotation (15-ball) and 9-ball too. Since my last visit I heard that they have quit playing with handicaps, and they try to match up even all the time. This was something Edwin Reyes (RIP) posted a while ago, and said it was to make the younger talents better, and not afraid of the best.

The races are normally 17 or more, and the most normal race is between 25-33. Always winner breaks, and a referee is racking the balls, calling fouls, cleaning the table, make sure that there are babypowder available, marking the table with powder if balls can be moved (not all ball foul) and keep control of the score. For this the referee gets a % of what the winner gets paid, normally 10 % unless the bet is high, then the amount is agreed on before the match. The referee's are either other players who aren't in a match, or older men. (A race to 21 for 5,000 pesos = about 500 pesos for the referee for about 4 hours work. A daily salary for a waitress is between 150-350 pesos. $ 1 = 47,5 pesos)

At One Side, there is a guy who is control of all the sidebets. You just talk to him, hand him what you want to bet, for example 10,000 pesos, and tell him that you would like to bet on Shane vs Busta. Then he walks around and tries to find one or more to cover your bet. When the match is over, he hands you your winning, and you give him around 5 %.

At Side Pocket there is also guys like that, but when I have been there people are betting on each rack on the big matches, screaming out loud. For example if Shane - Busta plays at Side Pocket the table would be surrounded by 50-100 guys, and before each break people would scream "Shane Shane Shane Shane" if they want to bet on Shane, and show fingers for how many hundreds of pesos they want to bet. It's like a circus when people are screaming and waving and agreeing on bets :D Most funny moment for me was when Lolong was playing there. Try to say Lolong 10 times in a row real quick, and then imagine 50 Filipinos doing the same, waving their hands :)

Ahh... how I miss Philippines...

EDIT: The tables at One Side are tight pockets, Brunswick Gold Crown Metro, 9 tables

Last edited:

Bigdogbret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at you guys! Trying to find out his secrets :) Just kidding. When we got to Vegas Shane and I had a few "training session" where we spend a couple hours on my break. We tried the second ball break, 1st ball from side rail, and some from straight up or the bottom rail. Just kinda played around with it so see which one would work best for me and at what speed.

We practiced a lot of shots where it's usually difficult to kill the cue ball off the rail. He made me practice using waaay more spin than usual to throw balls in so the springy rails weren't as big of a factor in those shots.

What else...hmmm...Just overall strategy. He said most of the open players won't be breaking & running on me or trying to play a lot of break outs that often so just talked about positioning my balls and not feeling like I have to run out all the time.

Thanks Christina! It is enlightening and educational to hear what Shane can say or do to help you right before a big tournament. How fortunate you are to have the best 8 ball player in the world to help advise you on your game. Look out! You are going to be a monster too! :eek:)

stormshadow1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sharing is caring

Thanks for sharing that is very cool!

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dazz Appleton beat jeff de luna other night 21-14 for few quid 10ball :)..money matches everywhere svb v bustamante.. kiamco v alcano.. alcano v orcullo.. all at oneside billiards cafe malate ,mabini street.
Dazz will play warren kiamco tonight.. last night busta destroyed orcullo 25-14 alcano beat svb.. night before busta beat shane 2 sets 21-9 21-12 his playing amazing busta...games everywhere all at oneside :)
I got the above info from Dazz.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dazz Appleton beat jeff de luna other night 21-14 for few quid 10ball :)..money matches everywhere svb v bustamante.. kiamco v alcano.. alcano v orcullo.. all at oneside billiards cafe malate ,mabini street.
Dazz will play warren kiamco tonight.. last night busta destroyed orcullo 25-14 alcano beat svb.. night before busta beat shane 2 sets 21-9 21-12 his playing amazing busta...games everywhere all at oneside :)

Vag w/ the inside story. Nice.

I would love to hear more about Kiamco...

Jay! Is Kiamco top tier at this time?

The Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Busta is a thorougbred in comes of money matches...his like an anger bull....lol