URGENT: Congress Wants To Make Streaming A Felony

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
This isn't specifically about pool.
But considering how many streams there are where you have some type of background music going on either on the radio, or from an ipod at a tournament venue, it will be interesting to see how this pans out and if pool somehow will be affected.

URGENT: Congress Wants To Make Streaming A Felony

http://act.demandprogress.org/act/ten_strikes?source=fb

Tell Congress to oppose S. 978, the new "Ten Strikes" bill

Here they go again: The big business lobbyists who are behind the Internet Blacklist Bill are already making the sequel. THIS WEEK Senators will be voting on a "Ten Strikes" bill to make it a felony to stream copyrighted content -- like music in the background of a Youtube video -- more than ten times.

As the writers at TechDirt point out, under this bill you could go to jail for posting video of your friends singing karaoke:

The entertainment industry is freaking out about sites that embed and stream infringing content, and want law enforcement to put people in jail over it, rather than filing civil lawsuits.... We already pointed to one possibility: that people embedding YouTube videos could face five years in jail. Now, others are pointing out that it could also put kids who lip sync to popular songs, and post the resulting videos on YouTube, in jail as well.

That's right: Ten strikes and you could get jail time. Less than two weeks ago, the Hollywood industry magazine, Variety, reported, "Industry lobbyists pressed House members on Wednesday to pass legislation that would make illegal streaming of movies, TV shows and other types of content a felony...."

Text of the bill is here.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-978

bboxgrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This country is becomming nothing more then the 2nd launch of a Nazi Germany police state. You even see children getting tickets, or charged with felonies now. The hypicritical religious nutcases, big business, cops(pigs) are getting far too big for their britches. I have no doubt this will get passed. This is just another log in the fire the morally great are using against the citizens. Since 9/11 anything the govt. can grab to supress it's citizens has been used, not saying this fits that particular category but it fits under the umbrella. What this country needs a revolution of our own and clean out Washington once and for all.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think it is wholly wrong for the owners of the music to be able to protect their investment. If the user is usuing it for gain then he should be expected to pay the piper.

The vid of karaoke statement is probably a bit of knee-jerk paranoia...like the folks who claimed the recent healthcare legislation supported assisted suicide.

bboxgrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think it is wholly wrong for the owners of the music to be able to protect their investment. If the user is usuing it for gain then he should be expected to pay the piper.

The vid of karaoke statement is probably a bit of knee-jerk paranoia...like the folks who claimed the recent healthcare legislation supported assisted suicide.

Your are likely right BB of the karakoke being a paranoia. The media loves to brainwash the unknowing. However, don't be so fast to brush away that the right ambulance chasing lawyer to step up and make a buck exploiting the "term words" of the law for their personal time of fame and money.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
the problem is that this country long ago exported much of the labor but retained the intellectual property rights instead. Copyright holders are no longer making even close to the money they made prior to the internet. The Alexa top 500 sites has a huge amount of sites within the top 100 like Megaupload, Rapidshare, Hotfile etc. These sites exist ONLY because they have affiliate programs that pay people to upload copyrighted material and distribute it.

what you are seeing going on in Congress is an attempt to change the broken copyright laws. The chief law covering online copyright infringement was written in 1996 and implemented after much debate in 1998. It never foresaw the huge rise in filesharing that is current today.

Music, games, movies...just about any intellectual property that can be converted to 1s and 0s is being distributed online. This anti streaming law is being overstated by Superstar here. If implemented, it would be used primarily against the true thieves who are raping US business online. If you think for a moment that someones karaoke song will be prosecuted you are in fantasy land. This law is being done to go after sites that are doing things like streaming the telesync of Super8 right now online and are gearing up to stream Green Lantern this weekend. Something has to be done, it just cannot continue this way or you will see a steep decline in the production of good content.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
But then you wonder how many archived pool videos and streaming footage there are out there, with music playing in the background, and the implications for that.
Easy enough to implement a rule, "no music at the venue" for future events should this pass. But what about everything else out there that was already done.

And then what if the venue doesn't want to turn off the mood music or the radio, and instead decides to cancel the stream because it's too much of a hassle.
Then we are effectively going backwards.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
The subject of this thread is misleading, imo.

Congress wants to make streaming of COPYRIGHTED material a felony.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
This anti streaming law is being overstated by Superstar here.

I am not overstating anything.
I copied and pasted the title of the article verbatim.
If it is going to affect online video media, pool is involved in that format.

I'm sure copyrighted songs have played in the background to many pool streams at many a tournament.

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
The problem is that music is no longer anything close to an art. It's total industry. The "artists" (and I use that term VERY loosely) don't want their creations shared unless it's paid for. Do you remember when people wrote songs because they were inspired (by something other than a profit) to do so?

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
I don't see how this would affect pool streaming at all.
Neil, my understanding of the concern is... on a good number of pool streams, music is playing in the background... be it from a juke box or otherwise.

The bill sounds like it would preclude that situation.

I personally don't see it as a significant issue. Just have the music turned off.

bboxgrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW! Nothing like twisting everything to fit into your own little pet peeves and blaming them for it all! You even admit that it doesn't fit, but you are going to put it "under the umbrella" anyways!

LOL nothing has changed sine 9/11 has it Neil. We are heading in a good direction. Got more freedoms then ever, FREE healthcare, just about out of debt as a country. Hell, just last week myself & wife were approached and asked if we minded being searched while parked talking with a friend in this little area we live in where at one time the officers were welcome to peoples homes for dinner. Keep watching the media and reading the good book Neil, I hear in Oct. the Rapture is comming, maybe you will be one of the lucky ones along with the morally correct govt. Christians that are running this country to go Poof and disapear. And if we are all lucky maybe some of our youth can get charged with a felony because they had a fight in the school yard before you go.

Now I better just shut up and get out of this thread before I think I'm in the NPR section. :grin:

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This country is becomming nothing more then the 2nd launch of a Nazi Germany police state. You even see children getting tickets, or charged with felonies now. The hypicritical religious nutcases, big business, cops(pigs) are getting far too big for their britches. I have no doubt this will get passed. This is just another log in the fire the morally great are using against the citizens. Since 9/11 anything the govt. can grab to supress it's citizens has been used, not saying this fits that particular category but it fits under the umbrella. What this country needs a revolution of our own and clean out Washington once and for all.
You shouldn't call cops "pigs".
Pigs are smart, friendly and won't pull you over because THEY are having a bad day.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Neil, my understanding of the concern is... on a good number of pool streams, music is playing in the background... be it from a juke box or otherwise.

The bill sounds like it would preclude that situation.

EXACTLY.
It's not about pool.
But that doesn't mean that it might not affect future pool streams and videos in some way.

The only question i have would be concerning archived footage.
What then? Erase it all?

I highly doubt that anyone is looking at the pool industry.
But if the law is set in place, pool could eventually be affected for whatever reason.
Pool broadcasters shouldn't have a potential target on their head and face jail time just because some people go to you tube or their website and watch archived footage from years ago.

bboxgrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand you don't like the way this country is going. Neither do I. But, that has nothing to do with this bill. This bill is actually designed to make the copyright laws a little tougher. I really don't see where that is a bad thing. To take the opposite stance means that you are just fine with all the "artists" getting ripped off, and they shouldn't get paid for their work. Doesn't make sense to me.

I have no problem with anyone protecting their work. My problem is the way these laws are put into effect then picked up and ran with by lawyers writing a new dictionary on words and how they are interperted. Which will happen here just like anything else. The American solution to everything is tag someone with a felony and throw them in jail. Our prison system is over crowded as it is. There is a place for murders, rapists, child abusers, etc. but every time you turn around now the cops or some hot shot lawyer is pulling people into court over nonsense, charging children with felonies, creating a new war... war on drugs, war on terror, war on who knows what else is comming. These are mere schemes with media rhetoric to control the population to go along with their hypicritical BS.

As you see here even this particular bill can be interpereted in more then one way leaving the door wide up for future BS and BS will come with it.