US Open 9-Ball, 2023, Atlantic City, Sep 25-30

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Except its the US Open - and nobody except die hard players will pay to stream it, or even know it exists.
I think the US is a small part of Matchroom's audience. Almost irrelevant. You may want to check out which countries had live broadcasts -- more or less the equivalent of being on ESPN. It's possible that the audience in Taiwan was twice the US audience.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The production is excellent. I like how they pan the camera over the whole arena when going to another area.
I keep being frustrated when they fail to catch the important part of the shot/situation. Multiple failures. Also, when they have a replay it is often cut off short or the next shot is cut off. I have not noticed this in other Matchroom broadcasts so I'm guessing they have a new production company for this event. They need a different director.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Interesting final for sure. I chatted with Cornerman before the match. We both felt that Fedor would win if the match was a moves oriented grind but felt that Ko Ping Chung would prevail in a runout fest. Up to 6-3, the final was a grind and Fedor had the lead. His first major error in tactical play was when he hit a two way bank too soft in Rack 10, leaving a shot, and Ko pulled to within 6-4. it was the mistake you won’t read about, but combined with a Fedor miss just afterward, the match reached 6-5 and the tide had turned.

The rest of the match was the run fest that favored Ko and he missed just once from that point on. Ko was the best all week at completing the runouts and was the deserving champion after winning the last ten racks.

Well played, Ko Ping Chung, now a World 10ball champion and a U.S. Open 9balll champion. I feel he’s starting to make a case for eventual BCA Hall of Fame induction.

…. And while we’re at it, let’s enjoy the reemergence of Asian pool after a COVID related slump. In 2023, Ko Pin Yi won the World Pool Masters, Team Philippines won the World Cup of Pool, Jinhu Dang won the Spanish Open and Ko Ping Chung has nowwon the US Open 9ball.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that was a brilliant performance, especially taking both the semifinal and the final in consideration. worthy winner. i'm sure he made a lot of new fans, he's a class act and doesn't waste any time at the table. made good advertising for the KO jump cue brand as well!

…. And while we’re at it, let’s enjoy the reemergence of Asian pool after a COVID related slump. In 2023, Ko Pin Yi won the World Pool Masters, Team Philippines won the World Cup of Pool, Jinhu Dang won the Spanish Open and Ko Ping Chung has nowwon the US Open 9ball.

100%. he was hitting form pre-pandemic and overtook the big brother, glad to see him recover that momentum

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
11 to 0
13 to 6
24 of 30
Dam impressive

I called him to win from jump. His game is going up. Fedor never looked that strong this event.
Yeah right. The guy got to final in one of the toughest fields in all of pool. He's really playing bad.

Mr Machine

They talked about this during the semifinal. He powders his shaft and gets his chin on it while aiming.
I saw him reach over to his table, first rub the powder on his chin and then on his glove.
They showed that twice coming back from commercial time out.
Initially it looked like chalk.
Can’t wait to see all the guys with powdered chins at the local joint.
:)