US Open 9-ball updates thread..

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I am aware of that. He was added because there was a spare slot. He has now withdrawn for reasons that are known to him. He might let us know those reasons and he might not. He was never in in the first place.
You say he was never in but you knew that he was scheduled to play, said he was playing and then did not play. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I don’t care or is it my business why he isn’t playing, but your post implied he was never in the tournament and that’s not true. He was and now he’s not.

Last edited:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol alright. Glad you know he was scheduled to play, said he was playing and then did not play cause he was never in….
I don’t care or is it my business why he isn’t playing, but your post implied he was never in the tournament and that’s not true. He was and now he’s not.
"never in the first place". Can we move on?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A couple things I noticed. First of all Matchroom listed all matches as Races to Eleven and it still says that at the top of the tournament chart. Races to nine must be a last minute decision. Bad timing is all I have to say about that. I'm happy to see several women in the field, and good ones at that. I will bet even money that a women gets into the money. There were sixteen withdraws or forfeits in the first round, so the field is really only 240 players. Not sure if Matchroom will make up that missing entry fee money or ?

Other than that, carry on.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple things I noticed. First of all Matchroom listed all matches as Races to Eleven and it still says that at the top of the tournament chart. Races to nine must be a last minute decision. Bad timing is all I have to say about that. I'm happy to see several women in the field, and good ones at that. I will bet even money that a women gets into the money. There were sixteen withdraws or forfeits in the first round, so the field is really only 240 players. Not sure if Matchroom will make up that missing entry fee money or ?

Other than that, carry on.
I recall that soon after the dates were announced they said it would be races to 9 for the double elimination phase, races to 11 for last 16 onwards and then race to 13 for the final. The latest update I saw was that it would be race to 9 for round 1, winner round 1 and loser rounds 1 and 2, and then race to 11 all the way to the final. Agreed, they could do a better job of updating their website.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Trump is a great cuest and he himself would tell you he has zero chance. Once we get through some of the soft field we will see this.

Some of these guys with mid 600 fargos should really stay home.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Trump is a great cuest and he himself would tell you he has zero chance. Once we get through some of the soft field we will see this.

In the press conference Emily mentioned a possible US Amateur Open played at the same time in the future. I’m wondering if the days of bucket list participants in this event are numbered.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Trump playing is a living marketing campaign for Matchroom's US Open and its working like an absolute charm right now. Trump has already more or less said "I'm here to have fun." Like I said before, if he and Earl manage to get on the TV table, I bet it becomes the most watched pool video on YouTube.

Another example attitude of why pool has done nothing but decline in North America. No they should not stay home, in fact more should play. Losing is meaningless, putting forth effort, taking shots is priceless. Running directly into brick walls of the stiffest competition is how some come out the other side champions at later dates in all walks of life. It’s truly embarrassing when people rag on others ability here, generally people with sad lives who don’t even have what it takes to enter an open tournament with killers in it. So they type away like the losers they are.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
isn't this year's field rather a result of covid? in a normal year there would be more taiwanese, chinese, filipino players. quite logical given the travel circumstances that there are more americans. i bet there's even more east coast americans for the same reason.

qualified spots are likely to return with normalcy. in the mean time i don't mind seeing lower ranked players trying their luck and getting to play the top dogs, it's kind of cool in a way and puts things into perspective

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Another example attitude of why pool has done nothing but decline in North America. No they should not stay home, in fact more should play. Losing is meaningless, putting forth effort, taking shots is priceless. Running directly into brick walls of the stiffest competition is how some come out the other side champions at later dates in all walks of life. It’s truly embarrassing when people rag on others ability here, generally people with sad lives who don’t even have what it takes to enter an open tournament with killers in it. So they type away like the losers they are.
Easy there. Nobody insulted anyone. I think you have to admit that there is a "level" where maybe you should go play in a tournament better suited to your speed. How about 550 Fargo? What about a sub 500? This is the US Open and you are playing against the BEST IN THE WORLD. I'm about a 720 is Fargo (+/-10). Against a 800+ I will get my teeth kicked in...BUT I won't look like I don't belong. Or maybe I will? 100 points is a lot. 200 points is a joke.

There is a time and place for everything. US OPEN is not that place.

Easy there. Nobody insulted anyone. I think you have to admit that there is a "level" where maybe you should go play in a tournament better suited to your speed. How about 550 Fargo? What about a sub 500? This is the US Open and you are playing against the BEST IN THE WORLD. I'm about a 720 is Fargo (+/-10). Against a 800+ I will get my teeth kicked in...BUT I won't look like I don't belong. Or maybe I will? 100 points is a lot. 200 points is a joke.

Your place is not to judge another persons skill in a you said it….open tournament. Who cares if lower tier players want to play, you’re saying take that money out of the tournament….in a game where the best in the US make severely mediocre amounts of money for the level of skill they have at the game. Money filters up in these things, the sponsors are a joke for the most part and you absolutely need the absolute bottom tier to be paying entry fees to feed the top tier. Your point is invalid and ridiculous in multiple facets. Also FR is a very mediocre metric to say “when”’anyone should enter a tournament on top of that.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member

When I search your name in Fargo I get 625 with 0 robustness.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
When I search your name in Fargo I get 625 with 0 robustness.
That's correct. Played in One US Open IpK event. They gave me a provisional 625 and for some reason did not report my scores. Got through 5 opponents and lost to SVB and Kiamco (Winner and 3rd place). Don't know why. My 720 is based on what others I play and some pros who have "benchmarked" me. Notice I use my full name. Nothing to hide.