US Open 9-ball updates thread..

VVP

Registered
There’s 2 brackets now the American side(losers bracket) and the winners side(everyone but a couple Americans) Sad situation for the US Open.

We as Americans have been downgraded to being hosts for a prestigious event, not a competitor. What went wrong?

Sad situation,
Fatboy

PS: Congrats to the rest of the world!
Not sure what happened to Sossei and Bergman. Hope they don't have covid. The rest of the world sends their best of the best so the results are not totally unexpected. The USA can afford to have players that need the exposure because the tournament is in the USA. If there is no American in the semi -finial then that would be time to get worried.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A couple things I noticed. First of all Matchroom listed all matches as Races to Eleven and it still says that at the top of the tournament chart. Races to nine must be a last minute decision. Bad timing is all I have to say about that. I'm happy to see several women in the field, and good ones at that. I will bet even money that a women gets into the money. There were sixteen withdraws or forfeits in the first round, so the field is really only 240 players. Not sure if Matchroom will make up that missing entry fee money or ?

Other than that, carry on.
I think the final player tally will not exceed 225....my guess. I’m also curious about the payouts.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what happened to Sossei and Bergman. Hope they don't have covid. The rest of the world sends their best of the best so the results are not totally unexpected. The USA can afford to have players that need the exposure because the tournament is in the USA. If there is no American in the semi -finial then that would be time to get worried.
No, it's time to get worried now! People got on me for saying the 7ft table killed American pool. These (as expected) results are a perfect example. In America you go to a bar to attempt to pick up girls and get drunk and use pool to kill time while doing so. In Europe pool is played in what amounts to private clubs that people go to improve in pool. In the Philippines people play pool to eat. In Taiwan and China it's a national sport.

Also, look at the physical condition of the European and Asian players vs. the typical fat slobs that play pool in America. They are athletes and we're diabetics. When Shane eventually loses his prowess, like Earl has, put a fork in ever seeing another American pool champion.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, it's time to get worried now! People got on me for saying the 7ft table killed American pool. These (as expected) results are a perfect example. In America you go to a bar to attempt to pick up girls and get drunk and use pool to kill time while doing so. In Europe pool is played in what amounts to private clubs that people go to improve in pool. In the Philippines people play pool to eat. In Taiwan and China it's a national sport.

Also, look at the physical condition of the European and Asian players vs. the typical fat slobs that play pool in America. They are athletes and we're diabetics. When Shane eventually loses his prowess, like Earl has, put a fork in ever seeing another American pool champion.
Oh the drama :sleep:

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So , what about you bud? You probably never played a tournament, gambled on a pool game in your life! Just one of those pool detectives sitting around talking bout everyone else. Mr Schmidt I love going to bars , getting drunk and taking all the girls home while you sit around watching pool and complaining lol , enjoy 😉 bud , I’m headed to the bar to play pool , get drunk , get all the cash$ And the girls !!!!!!

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Fisher over Tkach 9-4

Next up on the main table:

EARL THE PEARL

Omar 1-loss match up on table 2 (the free stream).

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that Nick B does have somewhat of a well taken point here. There is no reason to have a US Open with such a large number of participants that half of them really do not belong. It should be a true test of skill in every match. It seems conceivable to me that by allowing such a non- vetted Open, a true pro could move through at least a few opening matches truly untested, while another true pro could have to face really top elite competition in 2 early matches and be out of the running. I firmly believe that EVERYmatch should be a true test of the highest skill levels in the game.

I don't like high level Pro tournaments where pro levels compete evenly with much lower level players. I believe that regional/ local tournaments should be the place where non- pros test their skills against pro levels if they so desire. Personally, I am willing to compete with a pro level player, when I know up front what my max $ loss possible will be - but a place like the U S Open would not be where that should occur IMO.

When you have enough true pro level players to fill out a field- and the US Open certainly had enough of them- why dilute the tournament? Regional tournaments like those run by Mike Zuglan seem a much better place for the 500/600 level players to test their skills.

It's the US *Open.*

Lou Figueroa

BlueRaider

Registered
Earl 5-0 after his opponent badly misses ball in hand
Looks like his opponent is an established 541 Fargo. Not a great player by any means but if he's really feeling the heat, he's gonna shoot like a 441 or worse. I really can't imagine playing on the TV table against Earl being such a massive underdog. I think the scariest situation to be in at that skill level and with that kind of pressure would be a not quite connect-the-dots runout with ball in hand. Everyone expects you to get out because the balls are laying easy but with all those eyes on you, it would look almost impossible to run them.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Man. Earl gives up ball in hand with two balls right next to each other, and the guy fails to get out.
Looks like his opponent is an established 541 Fargo. Not a great player by any means but if he's really feeling the heat, he's gonna shoot like a 441 or worse. I really can't imagine playing on the TV table against Earl being such a massive underdog. I think the scariest situation to be in at that skill level and with that kind of pressure would be a not quite connect-the-dots runout with ball in hand. Everyone expects you to get out because the balls are laying easy but with all those eyes on you, it would look almost impossible to run them.
Yeah no judgement - can't say id do any better - but Earl just gave up ball in hand with two balls left on the table that just needed two stop shots and the guy couldn't convert. But I agree with you 100% - it's easy to type shit. Harder to put the balls in the hole on the world's stage.

6-0 the Pearl.