US Open 9-ball updates thread..

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Four Filipinos in the final eight players! These guys are treating the U.S. Open like just another American pool tournament. No big deal, let's chop up all this money! :cautious:
What's the likelihood they chop it up or is it every man for himself?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If table two had a simple scoreboard against the curtain in the background that the ref could update after each rack it would change from a waste of time to a nice show. What good is a race if you are unaware of the situation?

more importantly you wouldn't have to read the kindergarten live chat to find out the score

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I have seen 3 huge mistakes by Layman in recent history,that guy is simply lacking enough skill to do a top-level pool ref. I dont care if he has eye-sight or hearing problems,that comes with the age but not being able to reflect on his own mistakes and having too big of an ego about it that is simply sad..

Like this one...? The final call on this one only took about 15 min....

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Four Filipinos in the final eight players! These guys are treating the U.S. Open like just another American pool tournament. No big deal, let's chop up all this money! :cautious:
nice
2 will play each other in qtr so assured 1 in semi.
So best result they can get 1st,2nd,3rd,5th total $93.75
Worst result, they get 3rd, 5thx3 total $32.25 :LOL:

pmoney - Copy.JPG

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Like this one...? The final call on this one only took about 15 min....

Oof I remember that - Earl called the wrong ball but was clearly shooting at a different ball that he intended to and did make to win the match, right? Two and ten ball (and with a little bit of a drawl like Earl has, I can see the opportunity for confusion).

I don't remember the call being announced as if it were a Shakespeare play. I also don't remember the fallout like that. Jeez.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Oof I remember that - Earl called the wrong ball but was clearly shooting at a different ball that he intended to and did make to win the match, right? Two and ten ball (and with a little bit of a drawl like Earl has, I can see the opportunity for confusion).

I don't remember the call being announced as if it were a Shakespeare play. I also don't remember the fallout like that. Jeez.
Here's the shot that caused the problem.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Too bad Chua and Biado play each in the Quarter Finals. One of them will have to lose.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is true that there aren't very many American players who are competitive against the world's best, but one guy who can bring it sometimes against the best is notably absent from this year's tournament: Bergman
That makes entirely too much sense
It's a stupid rule to begin with. If there is no called time-out, it should be automatic, assuming he still has one.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the shot that caused the problem.

I was there. Earl called the 2-Ball….the wrong ball.
Don Mokrauer, the ref, did not hear Earl make the call.
Bad decision by Leyman, in my opinion.
It wasn’t the first time that Earl called the wrong ball in this tournament.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
6 out of final 8 are Asians…and that’s with almost no Taiwanese or Chinese … what’s up with the decline in the Caucasian pool scene? Entire occidental world needs to get off the bar tables!

BlueRaider

Registered
I did, and it was before his backswing.

Not during.

But even if it was during, you think it's the first time these guys have ever had to deal with hearing people applaud during there shots?
No shit it was before his backswing. Did you even read my post?

And it really doesn't matter if he's heard applause before during his shots. It got him this time, especially given the stakes and the pressure. He should have stood up and reset when he heard it and he didn't. He was nervous and excited and something broke his concentration. Occam's razor suggests it was the sound of people clapping one second before he missed a ball that he's 99.999% to make.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No shit it was before his backswing. Did you even read my post?

And it really doesn't matter if he's heard applause before during his shots. It got him this time, especially given the stakes and the pressure. He should have stood up and reset when he heard it and he didn't. He was nervous and excited and something broke his concentration. Occam's razor suggests it was the sound of people clapping one second before he missed a ball that he's 99.999% to make.
I didnt see the shot. Did he have an extension to use? If so, it would have been wise to stand up and use it.
Maybe he didnt have one left and the clock was running down?