US Open draw and rules

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I like this the seeding by Matchroom here like their other events- Seeding is the way to go and what most sports practise

No surprises of top players playing each other very early in 1st round and most matches are top players playing “dead money “ :)

Which means Day 1 is like a rehearsal practice day to the top players and nothing to watch so folks can still enjoy their Easter Sunday

I also like ref rack from final 16 and 9 on spot

BREAK RULES

- Players must use a forceful break.

- A racking template will be used by the section referee during the Double elimination stage of the tournament.

- Balls will be hand racked by the referee from the last 16 stage.

- Balls will be racked with the 9-ball on the spot during all stages of the tournament.

- Players can break from anywhere behind the head string.

40-SECOND SHOT CLOCK

- A 40-second shotclock will be in operation throughout the US Open 9-ball Championship.

- Each player will have x1 40-second extension per rack.

DRAW AND SEEDING

- A seeded draw will be conducted by Matchroom Multi Sport later this month and streamed on Facebook.
The seeding is the problem. It does not match fargo ratings! Orcollo is in 28 seed! Siming is seeded 86! Biado is 5 seed and big ko are all in same bracket! Half of the top ten fargo rank players are in same bracket! Totally malicious! The seeding numbers are beside the name! Alcaide is 21 and ranked higher than orcollo! Look for yourself!

Kd
4b038ae80edff5126031b33de202a2bc.jpg
01596900959222e390af5015b4f0abd7.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The seeding is the problem. It does not match fargo ratings!

Seeding by Fargo rating would be ridiculous, as Fargo is not the official measure of a player. Biggest problem with Fargo is it doesn't really penalize you for skipping events. Some players who barely compete maintain high Fargo ratings, and that's not as it should be.

Unfortunately, not every player in the world has equal access to a high WPA ranking, as Americans have few WPA points events to enter on home soil. By contrast, all Eurotour events, I believe, carry WPA points. The situation, however, will change in 2019 as America now has the Players Championship later this week, next week's US Open in Las Vegas, and the International 9-ball in Virginia in October. All three of these carry WPA points.

So, for the moment, neither Fargo nor WPA ranking is ideal for seeding but, of the two, WPA ranking makes more sense to me and, in the foreseeable future, WPA ranking will make even more sense than it does now.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The seeding is the problem. It does not match fargo ratings! Orcollo is in 28 seed! Siming is seeded 86! Biado is 5 seed and big ko are all in same bracket! Half of the top ten fargo rank players are in same bracket! Totally malicious! The seeding numbers are beside the name! Alcaide is 21 and ranked higher than orcollo! Look for yourself!

http://www.matchroompool.com/news/draw-made-us-open-9-ball/

The draw was seeded with a golf-style category system adopted, which took in rankings from across the pool world including WPA World Ranking, BCA Standings and Fargo Rating. As defending champion Shaw was seeded No.1, while five-time US Open champion Shane van Boening is seeded second as the highest ranked American player.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Seeding by Fargo rating would be ridiculous, as Fargo is not the official measure of a player. Biggest problem with Fargo is it doesn't really penalize you for skipping events. Some players who barely compete maintain high Fargo ratings, and that's not as it should be.

Unfortunately, not every player in the world has equal access to a high WPA ranking, as Americans have few WPA points events to enter on home soil. By contrast, all Eurotour events, I believe, carry WPA points. The situation, however, will change in 2019 as America now has the Players Championship later this week, next week's US Open in Las Vegas, and the International 9-ball in Virginia in October. All three of these carry WPA points.

So, for the moment, neither Fargo nor WPA ranking is ideal for seeding but, of the two, WPA ranking makes more sense to me and, in the foreseeable future, WPA ranking will make even more sense than it does now.
You of all people understand!

Seeding is supposed to be fair!

How is it fair that biado , orcollo, Siming, Big Ko are in the same small bracket???

If Fargo is not used and WPA not used then what was and why???

Kd

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Fargo has Siming at 45 and Schmidt at 100 plus

Here on the board Siming is 86 and Schmidt mid 70 seed

It is awful

Kd

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I like this the seeding by Matchroom here like their other events- Seeding is the way to go and what most sports practise
No surprises of top players playing each other very early in 1st round and most matches are top players playing “dead money “ :)
Which means Day 1 is like a rehearsal practice day to the top players and nothing to watch so folks can still enjoy their Easter Sunday
I also like ref rack from final 16 and 9 on spot

BREAK RULES
- Players must use a forceful break.
- A racking template will be used by the section referee during the Double elimination stage of the tournament.
- Balls will be racked with the 9-ball on the spot during all stages of the tournament.
- Players can break from anywhere behind the head string.

40-SECOND SHOT CLOCK
- A 40-second shotclock will be in operation throughout the US Open 9-ball Championship.
- Each player will have x1 40-second extension per rack.

DRAW AND SEEDING
- A seeded draw will be conducted by Matchroom Multi Sport later this month and streamed on Facebook.

So again, who racks for each game during the knock out rounds? Is there an area referee doing it, holding the template/or?

Also, the 2017 event, if you were down on your shot and the 40 sec clock expired, player was still allowed to shoot the shot, but Not allowed to do an up/down.
Is this still in play?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So again, who racks for each game during the knock out rounds? Is there an area referee doing it, holding the template/or?
It is oddly worded.

I assume "hand racked" means triangle, after using a template in the qualifying rounds. I'm sure the players will love getting the break down and then making it to the final 16 and then having to re-learn it. Maybe only the final 16 is to be televised.

Also, the 2017 event, if you were down on your shot and the 40 sec clock expired, player was still allowed to shoot the shot, but Not allowed to do an up/down.
Is this still in play?
I don't think they care about how it was done before. My guess (and hope) is that it's the same shot clock as their other events: Shoot before time runs out.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys if you go to the Matchroom site and find the link for “player contract” it goes into way way more detail of the rules. I’d recommend reading it. It’s long, several pages.

Some things that caught my eye were game penalty if players were not at table on time, no practice, and match starts exactly 5 min after conclusion of prior match on table. It’s goibg to be FAST paced to get through this field in time!

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fargo has Siming at 45 and Schmidt at 100 plus

Here on the board Siming is 86 and Schmidt mid 70 seed

It is awful

Kd

Here are the players who earned a seed based on a Fargo Rating

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 8.39.47 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 8.39.47 AM.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 365

CallShotCowboy

AZB Rose Gold
Gold Member
Silver Member

Both Turning Stones, and Derby City also carry WPA partial points events.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Here are the players who earned a seed based on a Fargo Rating
I thought fargo was going to be used 100% for the seeding! Some brackets are full of top rank fargo players and others have hardly any!!!

Kd

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one anywhere ever said Fargo would be used for all seeding. I’m actually surprised and happy it was used at all.

This is WPA event and WPA points are far and away the most used criteria.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Hi guys if you go to the Matchroom site and find the link for “player contract” it goes into way way more detail of the rules. I’d recommend reading it. It’s long, several pages.

Some things that caught my eye were game penalty if players were not at table on time, no practice, and match starts exactly 5 min after conclusion of prior match on table. It’s goibg to be FAST paced to get through this field in time!
THx, I'll go hunting for it. Which page. Also, it's still winner breaks/option.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m on mobile now but I think the player contract was near the players list. It’s definitely worth reading imo. I hope Matchroom keeps to it, and comes down with an iron fist on rule violations:) imo.