VHS to DVD?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I recently found five old VHS tapes that I would very much like to convert to DVD's. One is an old One Pocket match between Grady (in his prime) and Nick Varner. I also have the Sixty Minutes segment that featured UJ Puckett, and a couple of other local TV appearance that myself and a few other pool players were featured in. There is also a tape of the Women's final at the Bicycle Club in a match that I can't find anywhere else. Plus a tape that only says Legends of Pool and various TV shows. If they prove to be interesting I may make copies to share with other pool buffs like me.

I need to find someone who can convert these VHS tapes to DVD. Anyone out there that has that capability? Thanks, Jay

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If no one here can do it, they sell converters on Amazon that should be able to do the job.

You might also be able to find a local company that can do it as well.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I recently found five old VHS tapes that I would very much like to convert to DVD's. One is an old One Pocket match between Grady (in his prime) and Nick Varner. I also have the Sixty Minutes segment that featured UJ Puckett, and a couple of other local TV appearance that myself and a few other pool players were featured in. There is also a tape of the Women's final at the Bicycle Club in a match that I can't find anywhere else. Plus a tape that only says Legends of Pool and various TV shows. If they prove to be interesting I may make copies to share with other pool buffs like me.

I need to find someone who can convert these VHS tapes to DVD. Anyone out there that has that capability? Thanks, Jay
You should be able to get them done locally but one thing if you have them done have them done in real time. If it's a 2-hour video it should take 2 hours to reproduce. They can really screw up the quality when they try to do them quickly.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There’s conversion and then there is optimization. Conversion was popular in the 80s and 90s. Back then, the higher-end stores (5-6 figure systems) carried some really high-end conversion equipment, plus the personnel who knew how to optimize the conversion.

So, if it’s really important to you, check out the high-end stores near you. (I listened to a $750,000 system for just playing records last year.) Ask if they handle conversions. I’ll bet they exceed your expectations.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
you maybe still can find a vhs player that can record into a dvd. they were acouple hundred bucks ten or so years ago.

but might just be easier to play it on your tv and record it with your phone camera or laptop camera. then from there you can put it on a dvd if your laptop has one, a thumb drive or even u tube if you want.
or email it to someone to do it for you.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Toshiba VHS to DVD burner.

This is the exact one on ebay- not that expensive considering how rare they are nowadays:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Go to any local camera store, they will knock it out quickly and cheaply. Video ripped to USB and DVD

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Toshiba VHS to DVD burner.

This is the exact one on ebay- not that expensive considering how rare they are nowadays:

I have one of these that I used for work. It does the job, but it takes forever to dub. It's not fast. Also, it is confusing as heck to do if you don't read the manual, and even then, it's still confusing.

I'd suggest going to a local shop and have them do it. The time you spend trying to do it yourself, it's worth it to pay somebody else to do it professionally and have it done fast. Of course, if there's a pool person local to you that has this capability and will do it, that would be ideal too.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Jay - last year I looked at a bunch of options to convert 5 VHS tapes (family movies from the 60's and 70's previously on 8mm film).

My thoughts:

1. Did not want to buy equipment for what is probably a one time use, plus, it's harder to find locally than you'd think.
2. Most PC's don't have DVD read/write bays anymore so what's the point. Hell, it's hard to find DVD or CD players anymore.
3. The big conversion houses online scared me, too much chance of oopsies, lost, misplaced, etc.
4. I remembered some hassles from ripping music onto CD's when that was all-the-rage.

I was lucky and found a smaller local place. Turn Around was about three weeks. Think total cost was $119.00 and got back 1 set of DVD's and 3 flash-drives. Only got DVD as a longer term media storage. I've watched the movies via USB in a smart TV.

Just FWIW - this is who I used, they were very good, great service, a good experience at a good price. Trust above all was my main concern when looking at options. I'd UPS these guys the tapes before I'd send them to some big online media shop or try and use some conversion house tied to CVS or Walmart. Good luck, might at least give 'em a call! Could be places like this local to you, places you have to find via google using keywords media-conversion.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to any local camera store, they will knock it out quickly and cheaply. Video ripped to USB and DVD

What he said. I’d advise to go for real-time conversion (rather than fast-forward). It’s more expensive but the quality is much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
What you need is a new laptop:

1625134132486.png

(You don't need one of these!)

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
What he said. I’d advise to go for real-time conversion (rather than fast-forward). It’s more expensive but the quality is much better.

Be interesting to know if there ARE any camera stores and if so; do they even offer this service. I could not find any in Columbus, Ohio. Both sad and weird but phones have put many out of business.

CuseFan559

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am in the same boat. I have some VHS tapes that were never released on DVD. I took them to a local photo shop to be put on DVD. They refused because the VHS tapes are copyrighted. I too would love to find someone that would convert them.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am in the same boat. I have some VHS tapes that were never released on DVD. I took them to a local photo shop to be put on DVD. They refused because the VHS tapes are copyrighted. I too would love to find someone that would convert them.

How strange. Did you tell them you needed a backup copy for your personal use? This should be allowed under the copyright laws.

CuseFan559

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How strange. Did you tell them you needed a backup copy for your personal use? This should be allowed under the copyright laws.

I didn't know that I could. I just took their word for it. It was a local Horn Photo store. If I could find something in writing I would bring it with me. I was told because the tapes had the FBI warning on them and had copyright on them.

middleofnowhere

Registered
You have to go to some independent guy. I had some done a few years ago. I went to the guys house. His mother is watching TV. Mean time he has a zillion dollars worth of equipment in a bedroom. Got it in like one day I think $25 a tape to dvd.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I am not a copyright attorney but I doubt that reason holds up. It's the person or entity reproducing copy written material that's liable.

How long is my video content copyrighted for? Any video content produced as of January 1, 1978, is copyrighted for the creator's lifetime and 70 years after that. Anonymous content, however, is protected by copyrights for 95 years after publication and 120 years after creation