Vintage Rambow On Ebay?

gonegray

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I pulled the trigger

Not sure if this was a good pick up or not? I went ahead and pulled the trigger anyway. SOLD to ME! LOL I'm an addict!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Saw that, but I have no idea about the cue at all.

Looks interesting...curious..."suspicious".....but I really have no idea if any of the history given might be true.....

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
320   0   0
Not sure if this was a good pick up or not? I went ahead and pulled the trigger anyway. SOLD to ME! LOL I'm an addict!

I'm can't say one way or another but, I would recommend, proceeding with appropriate caution.

The seller is representing this as a Rambow, jazzed up by Helmstetter.

I'm not real familiar with Helmstetter's work but I am under the impression that he does a good job. On one of the points, the 3rd dot is spilling over onto the natural veneer. Not being and expert, I don't know if RH in adding to a genuine Rambow cue, would let something like that slip by.

The engraved name in the shaft doesn't look at all like any of the customer names I have ever seen done by Rambow.

This cue looks like a number of ones I have seen that were imports during the late 70's/early 80's.

But again, I can't emphasize enough, I am not an expert on it, just sharing what my impression is and, if it were me, I would get some expert opinions either prior to making payment on it or, at the very least, paying via paypal with a credit card so if it turns out not te be as advertised, you'll have some recourse.

Either way, GL.

And wouldn't it be a blast to learn that it really is what was represented. ;)

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

gonegray

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion on paying with paypal, recourse etc. And not too concerned about the imperfect inlays, which seem to be common in this "supposed" era of cues that I've seen. Ugh. Ass puckering time. I'm just gonna throw it in the closet and forget about it anyway, so we'll see soon I guess.

It would have been nice to have better pics of the ferrules and the butt cap, but I just felt like pressing the buy it now. Just needed to find something to spend all these POKER winnings on. Thank god for the poker fishes, hope I'm not a cue fish!

hotrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion on paying with paypal, recourse etc. And not too concerned about the imperfect inlays, which seem to be common in this "supposed" era of cues that I've seen. Ugh. Ass puckering time. I'm just gonna throw it in the closet and forget about it anyway, so we'll see soon I guess.

It would have been nice to have better pics of the ferrules and the butt cap, but I just felt like pressing the buy it now. Just needed to find something to spend all these POKER winnings on. Thank god for the poker fishes, hope I'm not a cue fish!

Hope Im not a cue fish, thats funny. Everyone on AZ land is a cue fish. Some of us are cue whales. Hope you made out good.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
320   0   0
I'm liking in the links you provided in which there are some nice similarities in the shape of the buttcap and the veneers at the bottom of the buttsleeve at the buttcap. :smile:

And yeah, I agree, we all tend to have a little (maybe more) "cue fish" in us. :thumbup:

GL

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
320   0   0
Yeah, I'm thinking the "finishing touches" Hemstetter put on that cue are the complete build out his company (Adam) did. Rambow's contribution was probably the original design and what you've got there is an Adam "tribute" to Rambow.

Maybe not. I'm sure jayman could spot it if it were an Adam.

Kevin

no please, there's already enough spots. . . :p

best,
brian kc

gonegray

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah, thinking this is an Adam Cue. About to be a non-paying bidder, rescinding my bid.

It's open for the taking for anyone else that may want this cue. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the AZ community helping me solve this puzzle.

gonegray

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It's back up if anyone is interested. Maybe this is a great deal for someone looking to invest or sit on a cue for a while? The seller told me that it came in a nice brown case too, so maybe this may ad some value to the auction?

The seller was nice and cancelled my bid, so I figured I'd post this follow up for her to help her with the sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RAM...164?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c64eca824

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I saw it re-listed, I was wondering what happened. Nice of them to cancel your bid.

I really don't believe it's what the seller thinks it is.