vitamins that promote focus and calm

I think bananas are bad for your focus. If you take them too often you will have a tendency to monkey around more.
 
Lots of humorous replies.

You may experiement with Vitamin B-12, Vitamin B Complex, Ginko Biloba. They have lots of other over the counter stuff that says you will increase focus like FOCUS FACTOR. I'm not sure if that works or not but their sales keep climbing. If anyone has tried Focus Factor, I would appreciate you letting me know your findings.

I think that you get longer stamina with B-12.

A sure fire assistant to calm nerves and steady focus is a healthy diet AND PLENTY OF REST. I have had my best play when getting more than my normal amount of rest.

Just plain coffee is good if I am playing 9 ball but I don't like coffee for playing one pocket. It seems that I need more energy for playing 9 ball but need calmer nerves for playing one pocket. A little twitch in one pocket and you've snookered yourself. In 9 ball a little twitch and you get a little better shape than you planned. :D

GOOD CARDIOVASCULAR EXERCISE SHOULD NOT BE RULED OUT. It will give you an edge but it is a little harder to do than take a pill. :smile:

Still interested in the FOCUS FACTOR. ANYONE????
JoeyA
 
sfleinen said:
One common herbal used for enhancing focus and concentration is Ginkgo Biloba:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_biloba#In_memory_and_dementia

There are of course others, but this one seems to be the one most folks concentrate on.

I personally take Gingkgo, and have found the effect to be quite subtle. Don't expect it to be a jolt of caffeine, but you might find (as I did) that it tends to calm the mind down, and you can go longer hours doing "heavy thinking" without the "crash" at the end of the day.

Hope this is helpful!
-Sean
I can never remember to take it.
 
SUPERSTAR said:
This is one of the most phenomenal creations in the world of pharmacy.

SO good in fact, that they stopped making it.
I remember these well, they didn't make me play better, but they made me not care one way or the other.
 
trob said:
I've been told there are certain vitamins that promote these two things. It might sound silly..but I'll take any edge I can get. I've done some googleing but I can't figure out just which one's to take. Anyone out there know?
Theanine is good. Some people benefit from GABA.

Doc
 
Beware_of_Dawg said:
Great vitamins that promote calm & sense of well being
v10all.jpg

ahhhhh, nothin better than a box of roche 10's from across the border.:grin:
 
LA toolman said:
Joey,
I've read about studies that show PEPPERMINT improves focus and alertness.

Yes. I've read the same thing. Good one and it keeps your breath fresh. :smile:
 
Beware_of_Dawg said:
BONUS, BONUS advice... Vitamin that promotes sense of calm.
marijuana-bud.thumbnail.jpg

I have to agree. Studies by Andrew Weil have shown that the herb pictured uniquely focuses the attention, especially if the person wants to do the task well, or simply enjoys the task. He wrote a great book on it called Natural Mind.
 
Last edited:
LA toolman said:
Joey,
I've read about studies that show PEPPERMINT improves focus and alertness.

FWIW, chewing gum will help with focus and concentration. If you're chewing it forces you to breathe regularly. When taking a test, playing pool, golf or any sport for that matter proper breathing and oxygen saturation in the blood stream is key and people tend to forget to breathe under pressure.

Superstar.... Thanks for reminding me how much I miss ludes.... LOL
 
The Saw said:
Superstar.... Thanks for reminding me how much I miss ludes.... LOL

Oddly enough, i am like the biggest straight edge.

I take ginko and ginseng and some vitamins when i play, but i do not play in an pharmacy or otherwise altered state. ('cept drunk)

Never have.

BUT, i did try those out back in high school, and i have to say that some of those high school parties where we popped these at were legendary.

Good thing they got banned.
 
I started taking ginkgo a few days ago. I picked up a bottle of b12 also. I'll start taking that tomorrow. My problem isn't needed energy. I'm already wired. I want something thats calming to bring me down. It seems Ginkgo and b12 are the best for that.

Thanks
 
trob said:
I started taking ginkgo a few days ago. I picked up a bottle of b12 also. I'll start taking that tomorrow. My problem isn't needed energy. I'm already wired. I want something thats calming to bring me down. It seems Ginkgo and b12 are the best for that.

Thanks

If you want calm, go out and get some KAVA KAVA, and some GABA.
Although for the KAVA, you want to do some research on liver dysfunction and know the signs. (you never know what will happen with supplements)
 
SUPERSTAR said:
BUT, i did try those out back in high school, and i have to say that some of those high school parties where we popped these at were legendary.

Good thing they got banned.

There was a retired doctor that had a locker a couple down from mine at the golf course and one day I seen some bottles of ludes in his locker. I told him to not be stingy... LOL... He had a full pharmacy in his locker, bottle after bottle of uppers, downers, pain meds, etc. He had been hoarding the stuff for years and hid it in his locker at the club to keep his wife out of it. The doctor always had the pill for whatever was ailing me!!! Plus, he was good action to boot!!! Winner, winner,chicken dinner....
 
Ok heres the scrip

Kava kava calms
Valerian Root calms even more/used alot for sleep
Ginko as mentioned is good for the brain and works on the blood flow
5htp I have found works well with kava kava and aids in the firing of nuerotransmitters
Phosphatidyl Serine really get the brain kicking

None of these or any mentioned will take the place of a good diet and
exercise .I have recently recommited myself to eating low carbs and working
out in some way every day.Seems I play my best and am alot calmer when
I have worked my a** off all day maybe even some yard work and took a
long shower and went and played (wierd but it works) If I dont do alot of
manual labor during the day I seem to play a little off or it takes me longer
to get going .
 
trob said:
I started taking ginkgo a few days ago. I picked up a bottle of b12 also. I'll start taking that tomorrow. My problem isn't needed energy. I'm already wired. I want something thats calming to bring me down. It seems Ginkgo and b12 are the best for that.

Thanks

Keep us in the loop as to what you find by taking these two "vitamins".
Thanks,
JoeyA
 
Back
Top