Wanting to buy a Schon

mac9ball

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into buying a schon right now, but I can't figure out if I should buy a brand new one, or look for an older one? I have been reading on here that the old ones play much better than the new ones? If anyone could give me some advice, I would appreciate it.

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
276   0   1
I am looking into buying a schon right now, but I can't figure out if I should buy a brand new one, or look for an older one? I have been reading on here that the old ones play much better than the new ones? If anyone could give me some advice, I would appreciate it.

Here is this one if you can live with some minor battle scars. Has some great old shafts makes for a super hitting cue.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=238746

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
The old ones have spliced, sharp points. They are great ol cues and if you find one you can afford and like they are neat to have. The new ones have inlayed points. I have a new one that plays very well. I don't think buying an old one to expect better playability is valid. All Schon's are very high quality. If you dig the idea that they don't make the spliced forearms anymore go for the old one. If you find a new one you really like get it. You ain't gonna go wrong either way.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Schon

Do a search In the main forum and you will find a thread on old vs. Newer Schon cues and lots of various opinions.

I, myself, will only play with the earlier versions. It is a feel and a preference for me. But I have also said many times that Schon must be doing something right because they sell a ton of new cues.

Jaypool620

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schon

I have played with some of the newer one and they hit good but there is something about the older one that I like but by vision alone it seem like they put more ivory in the older ones, I currently play with one that is an SP model from 1986 that's pretty old I think and it hits great

rich337

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
agreed

The old ones have spliced, sharp points. They are great ol cues and if you find one you can afford and like they are neat to have. The new ones have inlayed points. I have a new one that plays very well. I don't think buying an old one to expect better playability is valid. All Schon's are very high quality. If you dig the idea that they don't make the spliced forearms anymore go for the old one. If you find a new one you really like get it. You ain't gonna go wrong either way.

what he said

rich337

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have played with some of the newer one and they hit good but there is something about the older one that I like but by vision alone it seem like they put more ivory in the older ones, I currently play with one that is an SP model from 1986 that's pretty old I think and it hits great

i dont know about them putting more ivory in the older 1s i just bought this 1 and it has a ton of ivory inlays

Attachments

• 1d0f_12.jpg
    1d0f_12.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 263

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
heres an older schon in pristine cond. previous owner played with a predator shaft so shaft is as new. elephant ear wrap. 19.4 0z 13mm. 500.00 shipped
schonforearmSmall.jpg

schonwholeMedium.jpg

schonforearmSmall.jpg

schonwrapSmall.jpg

schoninlaySmall.jpg

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
421   0   0
they all play the same
the one for 500 or the 450 are worth the money
if i wanted one now i would take either one
scon makes some cues with no points that i have owned and they play the same too

kbooks3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 99.5%
210   1   0
Here are a couple nice ones...SL 20 & R-8

Not sure what your budget is..but these are both under a grand.

DSC06335.jpg

DSC06332.jpg

DSC06339.jpg

DSC06334.jpg