Warped Its George Case !!!

JeaLouS44

Awesome John
Silver Member
I buy damaged its George cases, usually they are cracked at the latch point or the straps.
I just got one that is warped like 1/2" when laid on a flat surface. I thought what the heck made it do that.
Anybody ever see a George case warp like I am describing.
thanks

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I saw a warped It's George 1x2.
It's now part of a real funny long story that became one of those inside jokes that never goes away.

Maybe the case was left in excessive heat or it could of been defective when it was made.
Plastic tubing isn't always perfect, but I've never seen the extrusion process, so it's hard to know what could go wrong.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I buy damaged its George cases, usually they are cracked at the latch point or the straps.
I just got one that is warped like 1/2" when laid on a flat surface. I thought what the heck made it do that.
thanks

Yup. I have seen it.

And I have seen a Fellini, an Engles, and a Thomas do this as well.

Why? How? Possibly environmental factors, and possibly some factors in how the adhesive and/or leather covering affect the plastic tube.

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
Saw a brand new Fellini twisted like a pretzel after a drive to Vegas from Texas. It was probably the short stay in Arizona and 100+ degrees in the trunk. The leather shrank and despite all attempts to straighten it out.....well....lesson learned.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They get bent

Leaning on a wall. Out in the heat In a trunk. In a closet.
They will almost bow. Straightening them is the trick.
On a sweaters knees as he rest his arms on the case on either side.
Nick :)

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Leaning on a wall. Out in the heat In a trunk. In a closet.
They will almost bow. Straightening them is the trick.
On a sweaters knees as he rest his arms on the case on either side.
Nick :)

seen one a while back....MINT, glossy.....BOWED, barely fit the meucci cue that was in it inside........wish i had a picture of it...i coulda tied my shoe string around each end and shot someone with a house cue like a recurve lol

had been in a shed in the heat for years......thats the only thing thats going to make the INTERIOR PLASTIC casing warp......

no fixing that unless you can heat the case somehow, but thats just going to cause the leather to shrink.....just my thoughts.....not sure how the hell else one could or would accomplish that.........

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
seen one a while back....MINT, glossy.....BOWED, barely fit the meucci cue that was in it inside........wish i had a picture of it...i coulda tied my shoe string around each end and shot someone with a house cue like a recurve lol

had been in a shed in the heat for years......thats the only thing thats going to make the INTERIOR PLASTIC casing warp......

no fixing that unless you can heat the case somehow, but thats just going to cause the leather to shrink.....just my thoughts.....not sure how the hell else one could or would accomplish that.........

If you consider the case junk and able to be experimented on........ :eek:

I would lay it on a flat piece of concrete in the sun with the bow pointing up and something laying on top. :thumbup:

JeaLouS44

Awesome John
Silver Member
It is hard to believe.
The stick still fits fine, so I am not gonna take the heat gun to it.
thanks for the replies.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You say that you buy damaged cases, so I am surprised you never saw this before. That one sure is warped pretty badly.

If you heated it enough it would likely melt the glue holding the vinyl on. Maybe damage the vinyl. Could probably be done if very careful. Not sure that I would try it either unless it were really necessary.

Should I assume you repair the It's George cases? Is that why you buy them?

Or perhaps you use them a cheap storage since broken cases are generally inexpensive?

I notice a lot of cues in that wall rack in the background. :thumbup:

JeaLouS44

Awesome John
Silver Member
You say that you buy damaged cases, so I am surprised you never saw this before. That one sure is warped pretty badly.

If you heated it enough it would likely melt the glue holding the vinyl on. Maybe damage the vinyl. Could probably be done if very careful. Not sure that I would try it either unless it were really necessary.

Should I assume you repair the It's George cases? Is that why you buy them?

Or perhaps you use them a cheap storage since broken cases are generally inexpensive?

I notice a lot of cues in that wall rack in the background. :thumbup:

I have only bought two damaged ones.
Do not care for the vinyl, I take it off.
I repair/rewrap them , for my own use. in the future I may offer to rewrap them not sure.
thanks
check here for close up pics.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=5303444#post5303444

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice cues. Thanks for the pics. :thumbup:

I enjoy fixing cases myself occasionally. I am rebuilding an old tube case right now. It was covered in vinyl and I am doing it in leather.

Just fun little projects. :)

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
thanks

PVC can be bent using heat. The temp. in a car trunk in summer sun can get high enough for the tube to bend.

I have used a tube heater to bend 4" electrical conduit into candy cane shape for a christmas display. Plug both ends so the conduit does not collapse when hot and place in the heater. When hot the tube becomes like wet spaghetti. Bend to desired shape then let cool.

Even heat on a sealed case should be able to gently persuade back to straight.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
If you consider the case junk and able to be experimented on........ :eek:

I would lay it on a flat piece of concrete in the sun with the bow pointing up and something laying on top. :thumbup:

the cue was junk lol....the case i was (besides its bad bow) probably woulda lifted 2" off surface of table seems like, was very bad.....it was like in mint glossy shape, shiny zipper and everything....i mean MINT MINT....plus a huge bow lol.

the case wasn't in good shape but visually it was just so pretty so i wouldnt call it junk, more like a "perfect" collector lol.