Was This right? 2013 Amway Cup

Should that rack counted?? (Rack 8) 2013 Amway Cup

  • Jenn B. got hosed by the referee

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Jenn B. got hosed by the TD

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Jenn B. got hosed by the head referee

    Votes: 2 10.0%
  • What bad break call?

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • The officials were right, too much time had passed.

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Jenn B. Handled this right by checking her break for an illegal break call on the 9th rack break.

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • all this probably would not have happened if the referee didn't call her for the "bubby-foul"

    Votes: 1 5.0%

  • Total voters
    20
  • Poll closed .
The rules are here: http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play and most players have never read them. Sad to say, most pro players have never read them. If you read them you may get a leg up on your opponents.

Speaking of trying to get a leg up on your opponent, if a player is playing in the Amway Cup in a mini-skirt, has she committed a violation of the rules? Section 3.2 states: "Female athletes may wear a skirt which must cover the knees. "
 
At 1:02:02 he calls illegal break at 1:02:20 she is reaching toward the table with her left hand and the ref says, "NO NO NO". I can not hear her ask anything of him.

What if she was setting up to shoot the wrong ball? Would it be ok for him to say, "NO NO NO"?

You're right, I wasn't thinking when I wrote that. I was thinking of this
particular weird case where the player obviously believes a foul occurred and the ref is correcting them.
Of course the ref shouldn't pipe up if they're about to shoot the wrong ball, push, etc.

I don't know if it's explicitly covered or not, but I believe if a ref sees someone misunderstand a call
(or lack thereof)... it's not coaching to correct their misunderstanding.

It feels almost "unsportsmanlike" on the part of the ref to let a player get penalized because the ref
completely spaced out on an unambiguous call, or didn't act promptly or clearly when awarding BIH.
Though the player should have the sense to ask verbally before just reaching for the cue ball.
 
According to the commentator , it was make known at players meeting before the competition even started that if the foul was not called and that opponent did not protest at that point in time, play would carry on.
 
... It feels almost "unsportsmanlike" on the part of the ref to let a player get penalized because the ref
completely spaced out on an unambiguous call, or didn't act promptly or clearly when awarding BIH.
Though the player should have the sense to ask verbally before just reaching for the cue ball.
It would be better if the pool refs all used a standard procedure for ball-in-hand fouls like: announce the foul ("bad hit"), pick up the cue ball, clean the cue ball, hand the cue ball to the incoming player. If that's what happens before every ball-in-hand placement, the players have less chance to be confused. I haven't watched the rest of the Amway to see if the refs were in fact using that formula.
 
The Amway folks made a full and public apology to Jenn at the end of the tourny-I didnt know what for but now im pretty sure i do.
 
It would be better if the pool refs all used a standard procedure for ball-in-hand fouls like: announce the foul ("bad hit"), pick up the cue ball, clean the cue ball, hand the cue ball to the incoming player. If that's what happens before every ball-in-hand placement, the players have less chance to be confused.

Snooker understands this and does exactly that. Pool... we rarely even HAVE a ref and the ones we normally see if we do don't have a clue what they are doing when compared to Snooker refs at the pro level who are truly professional and have detailed knowledge of the game that rivals the people they are reffing.
 
Speaking of trying to get a leg up on your opponent, if a player is playing in the Amway Cup in a mini-skirt, has she committed a violation of the rules? Section 3.2 states: "Female athletes may wear a skirt which must cover the knees. "
The actual dress requirement regulation is at http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_regulations#3_2

In isolation that rule snippet above says that it is OK for women to play in the altogether since they may choose not to wear a skirt.:groucho: I think the full rule implies something else. In any case, both contestants in the match seem to be attired according to the regulations.

Edit: I see the issue now that was in another match being discussed in another thread. I'll try to be less flippant in the rest of this response.

I think this gets into the general area of how regulations are handled (as opposed to rules). Some tournament organizers choose to modify the regulations for their particular event. Sometimes this includes the dress code. Reading through all of WPA Regulations 1, 2, and 3 it appears that the particular problem of a mini-skirt on one player may or may not have been a violation of the rules. It is up to the tournament director to make dress code decisions. There are often extenuating circumstances and exceptions. I haven't seen any announcements or correspondence related to the Amway Cup, so I can't say how the dress code was handled for that event.
 
Last edited:
My Opinion

I would like to state, this is clearly my OPINION. I am in no way an expert,or a judge;HOWEVER there are a few things here that are quite clear.

I thought Jenn B. got hosed by the Head Referee myself. The match ref clearly made a few mistakes, he had the power to overturn the ruling. During the discussion after rack 8, I believe you can hear Jenn B. stating that she is "not Taiwainese." This meant to me that she missed her chance to call foul after the illegal break on rack 8. By rules indeed perhaps too much time had passed'however if there is a language barrier issue that would have caused this, I think the Head ref should take that into consideration.
(Look at it from this perspective: If you were Taiwanese playing a tournament in USA, travelling half-way across the world in order to play, would you stand up and call FOUL if you were not sure because your chair was 25 feet from the table??) If there was no foul, then you would have committed a foul by interrupting play.)

The head ref should have cancelled/nullified rack 8, with an apology to Tsai Pei Tseng.

FWIW, the match ref missed the 3 ball kitchen call on rack 7 which was Jenn B.'s break.
 
... If there was no foul, then you would have committed a foul by interrupting play.) ...
No. The rules specifically allow a player to ask the referee whether a call (or non-call) was mistaken. Here is the actual WSR rule:

1.10 Prompting Calls and Protesting Rulings
If a player feels that the referee has made an error in judgment, he may ask the referee to reconsider his call or lack of call, but the referee’s decision on judgment calls is final. However, if the player feels that the referee is not applying the rules correctly, he may ask for ruling by the designated appeals authority. The referee will suspend play while this appeal is in process. (See also part (d) of 6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct.) Fouls must be called promptly. (See 6. Fouls.)
​
 
Thanks Bob !

Bob,
Thank you !
Ok, so what I would like to know is had there been any change to this rule in the players meeting? In addition, was it made clear in every language ?

As it stands by this rule; Jenn B.'s position gets more solid! She was then well within her right to wait till the end of the rack to question the bad (missed) call by the match referee.
Wow, no wonder she was mad ! (I thought she was gonna burn a hole through that chair ! ) :angry:
 
Back
Top