Was This the Best Final Ever?

kevpull

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane is a beast

Shane went to another level and found a gear that Dennis could not reach.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis, coming through the losers bracket and trouncing Nikos and Dechaine, came out on fire, playing a perfect 1.000 for the first half of the match. Shane had trouble getting position, but you could see him gaining confidence as the match went on. As I recall, it was when Shane first took the lead at I think 9-8 that he got into Shane gear and started one-stroking. It was over then.

I've seen closer, more exciting matches, with leads changing hands and hill-hill tension. This one had only one clear shift in momentum, from Dennis to Shane about halfway through. But the fact that it was a come from behind victory for a 3-peat, with Shane confidently shooting his way out of position trouble and both playing almost perfect pool, made it one of the best.

You are correct as can be. When Shane pulled within one, I think it was 7-8 he took a time out. When he came back, it was like he got out and locked in the hubs of the wheels for all wheel drive, then proceeded to steam roll Dennis.

And they explained how Shane pushed, and Dennis have back, and he jumped to shoot one ball but missed, and Dennis ran out to get to 10. This counted as a miss against Shane average, but if he jumped at it first and not pushed out, it wouldn't have counted as a miss.
So accu stats average, although valuable, doesn't tell the story of this match.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a performance by Shane! Great match. Best ever? Let's see .....

I think it's the second best rotation pool final I've ever seen, second only to Wu Jiaqing over Po Cheng Kuo 17-16, that finished with Wu running five racks and out to erase a 16-12 deficit to win the WPA World 9-ball championship about 10 years ago.

Actually, the best rotation pool match I've ever seen was the clash between Bustamante and Reyes at Great Gorge, NY (1997?) in which Reyes' only mistake was a missed bank shot in an 11-10 loss to the great Francisco, but it was in the early rounds of the event.

So what I'm saying is that, among the rotation games finals I've ever seen that were played in America, this was the best, and Shane's performance the most memorable.

Submitted for your opinion. Have you seen a better final? In the US? Anywhere? What is the best match you've ever seen in rotation games pool?

Didn't Billy Johnson win the lag and run the set out it the finals of a big tournament once? I think against Buddy or Siegel. I think it was a race to 13.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Didn't Billy Johnson win the lag and run the set out it the finals of a big tournament once? I think against Buddy or Siegel. I think it was a race to 13.

Sounds like a straight pool tournament .
13 racks in a row would a record for a tournament I believe.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Only thirteen pack I've ever heard of in this country was by Archer in a gambling match vs Bustmante.

Regardless, in my view, for a match to be historically great both players must excel, not just one.

Greatest individual excellence in a final match is another subject, and Billy, it sounds, would be on the short list.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
What a performance by Shane! Great match. Best ever? Let's see .....

I think it's the second best rotation pool final I've ever seen, second only to Wu Jiaqing over Po Cheng Kuo 17-16, that finished with Wu running five racks and out to erase a 16-12 deficit to win the WPA World 9-ball championship about 10 years ago.

Actually, the best rotation pool match I've ever seen was the clash between Bustamante and Reyes at Great Gorge, NY (1997?) in which Reyes' only mistake was a missed bank shot in an 11-10 loss to the great Francisco, but it was in the early rounds of the event.

So what I'm saying is that, among the rotation games finals I've ever seen that were played in America, this was the best, and Shane's performance the most memorable.

Submitted for your opinion. Have you seen a better final? In the US? Anywhere? What is the best match you've ever seen in rotation games pool?

When Earl ran the 10+1 for the Million against Nick Mannio @ CJ's in Dallas TX the weekend of 4-16-76, that's about as good and exciting pool that I've ever been around. Earl was so dialed in, that he complained that the ceiling a/c unit blowing, was causing some balls to roll long or short, and he hand wiped EVERY ball each rack before he broke. Truly a miracle Package....Nick was George Breedloves best man at his wedding with the black widow. And when TKO drilled Archer in the finals that was something special....but Earl was waaaaaaaaay into the zone, and had to STOP play to get the video camera ready per the rules of the insurance company.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
When Earl ran the 10+1 for the Million against Nick Mannio @ CJ's in Dallas TX the weekend of 4-16-76, that's about as good and exciting pool that I've ever been around. Earl was so dialed in, that he complained that the ceiling a/c unit blowing, was causing some balls to roll long or short, and he hand wiped EVERY ball each rack before he broke. Truly a miracle Package....Nick was George Breedloves best man at his wedding with the black widow. And when TKO drilled Archer in the finals that was something special....but Earl was waaaaaaaaay into the zone, and had to STOP play to get the video camera ready per the rules of the insurance company.

I sure would have loved to be there for that one! Lucky you.

Island Drive

Silver Member
CJ's Inagural PCA Event Dallas TX

I sure would have loved to be there for that one! Lucky you.

As many of U know, I'm not the best on the keyboard, like Jam, BUT if you have access to a P&B magazine from 1996, probably the May issue I wrote an article on ''the miracle'' and they printed it word for word. Since I was hanging with Mike & Francinne that afternoon (only because the movie we went to cancelled) we ran into Earl in the parking lot shortly before that and he talked about the million dollar challenge and how impossible it would be for anyone to do it. You'll be able to feel the moment if your able to get ahold of that short article, Francinne ''told'' me to go for it. It was the same weekend my dad passed unexpectedly putting on the golf course, so it was real different week for me, and that I'm sure added to my passion as I wrote.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
As many of U know, I'm not the best on the keyboard, like Jam, BUT if you have access to a P&B magazine from 1976, probably the May issue I wrote an article on ''the miracle'' and they printed it word for word.

Did you mean 1996?

Island Drive

Silver Member
Did you mean 1996?

Your right, my error it was 1996.

It was CJ's inaugural event of the PCA. Here's a pic from that weekend. I'm right rear, and the young lady is Eva Matayas daughter Nikki who was 13 at the time (she came with Jim). Oops, 76 I was in So.Cal. Thx PB.

Attachments

• LiscottiEarlPCA 001.jpg
    LiscottiEarlPCA 001.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 102

TorranceChris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly, I did not watch the finals. I was so upset at the payment issues that I elected to skip it. What a doggone shame that, once again, the players not getting paid overshadow the performance of our pool professional champions. :sorry:

It looks like I really missed an excellent finals. Both players got above .900 in the Accu-Stats score when the dust settled. Now, what's what I call "championship-level pool." :yes:

Both of these players, Shane and Dennis, are to be congratulated. Now I wish I had watched it. I may have to buy this Accu-Stats DVD. Looks like this one is a must-have. :cool:

You did miss a good final!! Hopefully you can get to watch it ... especially Shane's 2 bridge jump shot at a critical juncture of the match. Even Niels, Shane's original detractor, mentioned it was the best final he ever watched!