Watching The Color of Money for the 157th time and I have a question.....

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta run. We're heading over to the VIP Lounge soon to enjoy a little Surf and Turf tonight, prime rib and lobster. I'll be thinking of you. :p

Surf and Turf, never heard of it, what ever it is enjoy, I got me a McDonalds 2 for 1 coupon :thumbup:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because a great actor (Forrest Whittaker) didn't want to hang around a mediocre actor (Tom Cruise) any longer than necessary. Would you want to play pool with a mediocre prima donna? Well, he didn't want to act with one.

this right here is the POST OF THE DAY!!!!!, TC is a horrible actor, a banger at best, FW is a genius

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I started using that line after i'd rob someone "Do you think I need to lose some weight?" I never did get much of a response from it, but it always amused me, i weighed 210 at the time.

Don't think he was really talking about how heavy he was.
Just about Eddie thinking he was getting too much weight.

Registered
The "TK 6" license plate came from the fact that Eddie sold Liquor. A case of one liter bottles of liquor contains 6 bottles. Take 6...

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "TK 6" license plate came from the fact that Eddie sold Liquor. A case of one liter bottles of liquor contains 6 bottles. Take 6...

Great first post. I'm going to green you for that one! :cool:

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I think they had to deal with 3 issues filming The Color of Money:

1. They had to appeal to an uneducated pool crowd and therefore not really believable to the experienced player/gambler

2. It was in essence a sequel as The Hustler was 1961 and TCOM was 1986 so its what happens in the life of Eddie Felson and the passing of the torch 25 years later.

3. The movie had to stand on its own for the generations that had no clue about "The Hustler"...simple plot and definitely needed some more input from the pro's implemented, but Newman won his only Oscar for that role and he was pretty damn good.

BTW I think Sigel said that Cruise didnt know how to hold a cue when he first started working with him..and by the end he was able to run a rack (or 2 racks..not sure)..its in Sigels Instructional video from the IPT Kevin Trudeau days. Someone else posted on this forum that Cruise also ran 29 balls of 14.1 near the end of filming..but that is pure rumor and IMHO hard to believe..running 1 rack of 9 ball though seems possible on an easy layout.

acedonkeyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forrest Whitaker, Do you Think I need to Loose some Weight??

People have brought this up on the forum before,

When I watched the movie, Paul Newman and Forrest Whitaker were playing for $50 a game, then Paul looses and Paul Says, 'Double It', Forrest says, 'Sure, Whatever'. Then Paul Looses again and says, 'Double it, again', and at the end when Paul peels off the '$100 Dollar Bills' and lays them on the table and Forrest Scoopes them up.

From looking at this, they were playing heads up, for $50 a rack and then doubling until one or the other gave up.

I dont see any handicapping involved, or weight being offered one way or another??

But, I guess since 'Paul was learning a lesson, or teaching one' about how to not let your ego get in the way of 'Seeing the Signs', being hustled,

It might have been the ultimate insult to Paul, that this 'Hustler', just hustled him and that 'Forrest Whitaker' was so much better than 'Paul' that he needed to give some weight in the bet to 'Paul'.

But, I really think that 'Forrest Whitaker' played himself off that he was 'CRAZY' 'CRAZY' CRAZY', and that a comment like, 'Do you think I need to loose some weight' was Forrests way of saying, I am over weight, Fat and have a low self esteem and was self-conscience about his weight and appearance, so he was asking Paul if he looked at 'Forrest' the same way??

Just food for thought??

Mike 'acedonkeyace' kennedy:thumbup:

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I still think that what really made the movie for me was the music. I'm not talking about Phil Collins and Eric Clapton (though I did like that as well) but the music done by Robbie Robertson. The bluesy guitar rifts and piano and horns here and there throughout the movie that really gave it a dirty, gritty pool hall feel. Loved it.

If only someone else played Vincent...........

rementis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Hustler

Man, I never get tired of The Huster and The Color of Money. Paul Newman was the greatest.

"She don't get the allure of this place."

LOL

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW I think Sigel said that Cruise didnt know how to hold a cue when he first started working with him..and by the end he was able to run a rack (or 2 racks..not sure)..its in Sigels Instructional video from the IPT Kevin Trudeau days. Someone else posted on this forum that Cruise also ran 29 balls of 14.1 near the end of filming..but that is pure rumor and IMHO hard to believe..running 1 rack of 9 ball though seems possible on an easy layout.

yes thats true, mike told me this 6 weeks ago, he said that TC had some talent, he could bnr a rack of 9ball and he was easy to teach , for a while he enjoyed pool. they havent spoke since. not surprised.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
People have brought this up on the forum before,

When I watched the movie, Paul Newman and Forrest Whitaker were playing for $50 a game, then Paul looses and Paul Says, 'Double It', Forrest says, 'Sure, Whatever'. Then Paul Looses again and says, 'Double it, again', and at the end when Paul peels off the '$100 Dollar Bills' and lays them on the table and Forrest Scoopes them up.

From looking at this, they were playing heads up, for $50 a rack and then doubling until one or the other gave up.

I dont see any handicapping involved, or weight being offered one way or another??

But, I guess since 'Paul was learning a lesson, or teaching one' about how to not let your ego get in the way of 'Seeing the Signs', being hustled,

It might have been the ultimate insult to Paul, that this 'Hustler', just hustled him and that 'Forrest Whitaker' was so much better than 'Paul' that he needed to give some weight in the bet to 'Paul'.

But, I really think that 'Forrest Whitaker' played himself off that he was 'CRAZY' 'CRAZY' CRAZY', and that a comment like, 'Do you think I need to loose some weight' was Forrests way of saying, I am over weight, Fat and have a low self esteem and was self-conscience about his weight and appearance, so he was asking Paul if he looked at 'Forrest' the same way??

Just food for thought??

Mike 'acedonkeyace' kennedy:thumbup:

I think the "do you think I need to loose some weight" comment was just a dig. A big F you, to Eddie for trying to call him out as a hustler. I don't think he meant weight as in handicap, but who's to say. It's a neat theory but only the writer could set the record straight.

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the "do you think I need to loose some weight" comment was just a dig. A big F you, to Eddie for trying to call him out as a hustler. I don't think he meant weight as in handicap, but who's to say. It's a neat theory but only the writer could set the record straight.

I have to agree with you.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I call it 'misdirection' rather than a 'dig'.
It takes the loser's mind off the loss, a bit.

I lost a trivia bet for $50 once...I purposely bet on the wrong answer.
I had beat the man for almost $3,000....
...next time he saw me, he grinned and called me a moron.