what a good sport Jennifer Barretta is!

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
last night during the WPBA`s San Diego classic 9 ball tournament she played Netherland`s T.Radamaker.It was hil-hil match.Jennifer shot the nineball into the pocket and at the same time her opponent T.Rademakers got up from the chair,moved forward quickly and shook hand with Jennifer congratulating her.Mean while the whitie completed it`s excursion of the Greenland and slowly came to hide in one of the the holes of the Greenland.
Technically speaking when a player gets up from the chair and shakes hands with the opponent before the game is over it is considered as conceeding.The game was not over yet when MS.Rademakers got up and shook her hand because the cue ball was still on an excursion trip. But Jennifer did not raise any techincal objection and claimed the victory. Instead she accepted her loss of the match,smiled,and gracefull exited the arena.

when I first met Jennifer few years ago I felt that she was a very sweet person besides a pretty face.Last night`s incident once again proved how sweet she coud be.:cool:

Last edited:

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Yeah Vagabond, Jenn is a sweetie pie! :thumbup:
I'm wondering though if the handshake could really be considered concession? Technically wouldn't Jenn be shaking Radamakers hand and congratulating her knowing the ball was rolling towards the pocket? I wouldn't bring this up with Jenn though. She sound like she was still kicking herself a bit last night. :(

Terry

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the last 9-ball goes down, the opponent gets up to shake hands.

As she is about to shake, they both notice the cue ball is going to scratch. It does.

If she hadn't gotten up to shake hands, the 9-ball would be respotted and she'd have BIH, however she already stood up and conceeded.

Personally, I think a concession can come at anytime, even in the middle of a shot and it should override the outcome of the shot, good or bad. When a player quits, there's no mulligan.

I think Jen was being nice and let it slide. If a ref were called over, IMO Jen would be in the right.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
If she hadn't gotten up to shake hands, the 9-ball would be respotted and she'd have BIH, however she already stood up and conceeded.

Yeah,, I think Dawn Hopkins was saying something earlier last night about the wpba taking a dim view of all concessions. Just shows to go you. Never count your chickadees till they hatch.....or something like that.

Terry

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The story's even better. Immediately after that heartbreaking loss she went to the booth and did commentating on Melissa Herndon's match with Pan for the AZBTV stream. And in fact did a super job. Enjoyed her announcing very much.

Class act.

:thumbup:

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
I give her credit, but let's face it, if she did insist on the concession it would be seen as rather bad sportsmanship even if it was within the letter of the rules.

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
Jen is a class act in my book. Speaking of her, I paid for some movie she was in and never received it...Anybody know what happend to that project?

Jim

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I give her credit, but let's face it, if she did insist on the concession it would be seen as rather bad sportsmanship even if it was within the letter of the rules.

True. I'm not so much giving her credit for not arguing the point with officials, but rather just her attitude about the whole thing. I mean on the AZBTV feed she didn't dwell on it or whine, but rather just said "hey, it happens" and got right into the Pan-Herndon match and gave some very insightful commentary and was completely upbeat in her demeanor.

I'm guessing we could name some players who wouldn't have done that, but rather just stormed out of there instead.

breakin8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry but jen is a little stuck up she wouldnt be on the az table at the expo.

That's a nice move by Jen. She's always been a class player from what I've heard.

She made them move her to another table or turn off the camera. I was sitting behind Jerry F. Fact!

Sweet Marissa

www.Bella-Muse.com
She made them move her to another table or turn off the camera. I was sitting behind Jerry F. Fact!
That doesn't make her stuck up. She's been a busy mother and hasn't played in quite awhile. Jennifer is definitely one of the nicest people you could ever meet!

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In this particular situation, is there really a "concession" rule AFTER the last ball has been shot and cue ball is still rolling? Technically, until the cue ball comes to some kind of conclusion (ie stops or scratches) the shot is not over until then.

There seems to be alot of opinions on the subject, but what is the rule or a referees interpretation of this rule as it applies to this situation?

xxxbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
last night during the WPBA`s San Diego classic 9 ball tournament she played Netherland`s T.Radamaker.It was hil-hil match.Jennifer shot the nineball into the pocket and at the same time her opponent T.Rademakers got up from the chair,moved forward quickly and shook hand with Jennifer congratulating her.Mean while the whitie completed it`s excursion of the Greenland and slowly came to hide in one of the the holes of the Greenland.
Technically speaking when a player gets up from the chair and shakes hands with the opponent before the game is over it is considered as conceeding.The game was not over yet when MS.Rademakers got up and shook her hand because the cue ball was still on an excursion trip. But Jennifer did not raise any techincal objection and claimed the victory. Instead she accepted her loss of the match,smiled,and gracefull exited the arena.

when I first met Jennifer few years ago I felt that she was a very sweet person besides a pretty face.Last night`s incident once again proved how sweet she coud be.:cool:
I have to agreed with you, the class displayed from her after that incident speaks volumes about Jennifer Barreta.
Wish the best to this lady and family

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...let's face it, if she did insist on the concession it would be seen as rather bad sportsmanship even if it was within the letter of the rules.

It wouldn't be seen as bad sportsmanship by me, because I see the reason for such a rule. If it's allowed in circumstances like this, that encourages it in other circumstances when it might be a shark move. It isn't always easy to tell which is which, and putting the obligation on the shooter to "do the right thing" is putting the shoe on the wrong foot. The seated player has the obligation to act correctly in this situation, not the shooter.

pj
chgo

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
That's pure class in my book. I hope she comes back through the "B" side strong. Johnnyt

JennBarretta

Pro Player
Clarification

Hey breakin8,

You are correct that I asked Jerry not to give me the live feed table, but it wasn't because I was being stuck up. Let me clarify:

This was my first competitive match in over a year, and I knew it was going to be hard enough focusing on the match without the added pressure of playing for a large audience. Also, I told Jerry that if I absolutely had to play there, I would. He was the one who suggested that he could turn off the camera if there were no other table available. I have to say that I thank Jerry for his compassion, and luckily he ended up having a non-televised table for me.

Also, I am not the only player who has made this request! Back me up here, Jerry!

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey breakin8,

You are correct that I asked Jerry not to give me the live feed table, but it wasn't because I was being stuck up. Let me clarify:

This was my first competitive match in over a year, and I knew it was going to be hard enough focusing on the match without the added pressure of playing for a large audience. Also, I told Jerry that if I absolutely had to play there, I would. He was the one who suggested that he could turn off the camera if there were no other table available. I have to say that I thank Jerry for his compassion, and luckily he ended up having a non-televised table for me.

Also, I am not the only player who has made this request! Back me up here, Jerry!

There you have it.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice move

I know rules are rules; but in this case if Ms. Barretta had called the handshake a concession of the match, I would have really thought it was very small in stature..... I'm glad she didn't; I wonder how many would have done so and how many of you would think less of that person who might do something like that....

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Hey breakin8,

Good point. Since not every match is streamed playing on the stream table should be at the discretion of the players, period.

BTW, Jenn, your stream commentary was really excellent. Actually I thought all the players that came into the booth were great. If this was a WPBA experiment I hope it was viewed as successful because I for one thought the whole event stream was a rousing success. You just can't beat the insight from the players and the interactivity with the viewers.

Kudos to the players for jumping in the booth.