What about Meucci?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the day most of my crowd tended to look at Meucci's as a short/mid-term purchase. We looked at Joss, Scruggs, Black, etc as a long-term(maybe lifetime) purchase. I've had a few Meucci's that played super nice but i never had them very long. I always looked at them as a tool to use a while and then get something more upscale. They just never seemed(to me at least) like they they were made to last a long time. Some have stood the test and still play fine and that's cool by me.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I have a Meucci that I bought around 87-88. No points or inlays on the forearm. It has a defect in the wrap just at the bottom where it meets the butt. The wrap is not flush with the butt. I took 20 years off pool from 98 till last year when I joined APA. When I started playing again (this is my breaker now) that the forearm is warped about 2" below the joint. So I guess I would say that my experience is not great with meucci. My Joss which I bought in 94 and also was stored for 20 years and only used occasionally still rolls perfectly straight.
Joss thumbs up
Meucci thumbs down
Paul

How did you store the cues and where?

If you leaned them in a case against the wall, don't blame the cue. Cues should be stored flat. Away from exterior walls.

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In Fairness to Meucci

Ok so last month I spelled out my problems with Meucci and said "Bottom line -- I'd never buy another one."

Well it's a new season, I wanted to change things up a bit and Budget Billiards has a cool white Meucci with traditional inlays and a white joint with black rings for only $316.00 so .....

Meuccis to me are like the girl in your high school class with a great figure, teased bleached blond hair, chews gum, smokes, drinks and goes out with older men. You know you should stay away but you are strangely attracted to her.

Call me stupid or foolish, but I pulled the trigger on the Meucci and so far it has been fine. No quality issues and it does have that Meucci move-it-around-easily character. Also I got a pleasant surprise in that a Predator 314-3 for a Viking cue also fits the Meucci; I have been using that and so far I like this set up better than my Schon with 314-3.

Anyway, that is my latest on Meucci. Wish me luck.

Gatto138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I loved the way my Meucci played. Loved the balance, the hit. One of my favorite playing cues, they still are. But the cue I had literally exploded at the joint where the forearm meets the wrap. Shattered to pieces. I admit, playing cues aren’t meant for breaking, but for a cue to explode from breaking a rack of balls,,,, I mean, all my other cues have held up.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I loved the way my Meucci played. Loved the balance, the hit. One of my favorite playing cues, they still are. But the cue I had literally exploded at the joint where the forearm meets the wrap. Shattered to pieces. I admit, playing cues aren’t meant for breaking, but for a cue to explode from breaking a rack of balls,,,, I mean, all my other cues have held up.

This is very hard to believe as I’ve never seen any cue in my life shatter from breaking balls, and I disagree with you saying that playing cues aren’t meant for breaking! Some players rather not break with their playing cues only to preserve tip lifetime or hardness, maybe some shafts aren’t meant for breaking but seriously you can break with Meucci or any other cue, but for it to shatter near the forearm is not easy for me to imagine, do you have photos? And are you sure the butt wasn’t used for something else, like hitting something or someone ;P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'm not buying this B.S. Who are you? You just joined and are already trolling with unbelievable nonsense like this? No photos of such a rare event? It didn't happen.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone post some pics of Meucci's with popped inlays and points, I see it mentioned frequently but never seen a picture of one in my two years on the site, not saying they aren't out there, just want to see what they look like.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, even though I know this is another topic that has been beaten to death on here, I'd like some insight.

Oh, and just to clarify, I AM new here and not a troll or someone with another ID. I saw that a couple people were "suspicious" on another thread, but no need to feel that way. I used to check out this site years ago looking for event info and read up on equipment but I just got back into the game and felt it was time to join here. So hello to all the posters on here :smile:

Speaking of equipment, I realize that there is (and always has been) mixed opinions on Meucci. I inherited one and I think it's at least as old as the late 90s and yes, it is warped, but I got most of it out, thankfully. It actually plays beautifully.

So to make this short, I've been thinking about picking up a new Meucci but wanted to know if anyone on here has experience with the newer ones that have the pro shaft. Are there still quality control issues and problems with warpage even in the newer line of Meucci cues?

I have 5 meucci's with pro shafts and love them

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buy a BMC and a pro shaft and you won't be disappointed. The pro shaft is one of the best of shafts out there besides the carbon fiber shafts. A buddy of mine has over 150 Meucci's and non have issues like I see many complain about.

DITTO the pro shafts are great, owned over 20 meuccis since 1990, never had
an issue with any of them. Lots of people who bad mouth them have
never owned one

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never owned a Meucci cue, but I have had two of their new Pro shafts.

A maple one and a carbon fiber one.

Both played very good.

mrjobe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they guys telling you to "go custom" instead of getting what you want are probably biased.

in my experience, you'll have the same potential problems/no problems with a cue regardless of who built it.

I had a $1,500 custom warp in both the shaft and the forearm... no refund/repair offered because I admitted to leaving it in the truck sometimes.

that said, I have a 30 y/o Meucci sneaky that stays in the truck. not enough wobble in it to speak about.

I've tried every Meucci shaft (as well as most of the others) and the will all play as good as you do. the pro shaft is excellent but I prefer the UW..for what that's worth.

My girlfriend is playing with a 21st century cue of mine with a matching black dot...IDK maybe 10 years old? Zero issues with it. I loan it out regularly every person to use it has loved the black dot shaft including a buddy of mine who plays a SVB CF cuetech. The first time he picked it up he ran 7 balls.

I've watched guys run racks with house cues.

long story short, go with what you like and can afford, get familiar with it and you'll play better.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the 70’s & 80’s, Meucci had a fine reputation for making a great pool cue.
I lost track of how the brand was faring after my interest switched to custom cues.
Mine's a "75".
Plays like it did then.
Found out I didn't like how it played after trying others.
FWIW custom cues from the same builder with the same specs play different.
I still love them glad I bought them, but don't compete with them.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DSCN0167x.JPG

Last edited: